As the Ticker Turns...the neverending saga of the Resort Changers

Love this thread!! Not sure if I'm considered a changer since I booked the trip through DVC point rental...it felt like I signed it in blood. I DID, however, study pricing and resorts for close to 12 hours (2 six hour days at the computer) before I made this non-refundable trip. Eek! :crazy2:

I am a resort changer.

Back in october I was planning a lovely week long trip for October 2016.

Well, when the discounts came out for January - March, I started researching how much it would cost for me to zip down to disney for my birthday (March 10)

Well, before I knew I was asking permission from my husband and when he didn't respond, I went ahead and booked it.

He wasn't too happy, but I explained to him that this is what will make me happy. I also brought up the fact that the past two years, my birthday has been stressful and since he never knows what to get me...this could be apart of my present. He came around rather fast.

So I was book! March 10-13 YC SV.
A week later I decided to switch to YC GV
And then I saw that it wasnt so much more for a lagoon view. I was set!

November comes and I read there's a cheaper way to go to disney. Orbitz had the same discounts as disney...BUT they had a 20% off no cap promo out as well.

So I upgraded to YC CL for the same price I was paying for a lagoon view from disney.

December comes and I decide that I don't want to arrive on my birthday, but the day before. So I book POP for that night, throw my tickets on to make it a package deal and I was set!

Just before Christmas, I changed over to POFQ. I have a bucket list to stay in all the disney resorts at least once, and since I already stayed at POP I couldn't possibly stay there again! Hubby didn't really care at this point.

Then they released the spring discounts. I couldn't look away! Oh, polynesian. My dream resort. Available at a discounted rate on orbitz, plus their 15% off, plus the $47 I had in orbucks...I talked to hubby over some chick fil a. He agreed to let me upgrade!

So after dinner, I booked and did the little happy dance.

Now I'm content, poly and YC all in the same trip? Fantastic!

20 minutes before the new year, I was laying in bed trying to last until midnight. My husband whispers to me 'do you want to add a second day at the Polynesian?'

What? Huh? Whaaaaat?!

He offered to pay for another day at the Polynesian. But, I had already booked through orbitz and I really didn't want to mess with that reservation. I had not canceled my POFQ reservation through disney. I went online and changed the dates to March 8-9 and upped the park tickets to 5 days.

So I started with a standard view at the YC for three nights to...
1 night at POFQ
1 night at poly
3 nights YC CL

I think I'm done changing...for now.

I am a resort changer.

Back in october I was planning a lovely week long trip for October 2016.

Well, when the discounts came out for January - March, I started researching how much it would cost for me to zip down to disney for my birthday (March 10)

Well, before I knew I was asking permission from my husband and when he didn't respond, I went ahead and booked it.

He wasn't too happy, but I explained to him that this is what will make me happy. I also brought up the fact that the past two years, my birthday has been stressful and since he never knows what to get me...this could be apart of my present. He came around rather fast.

So I was book! March 10-13 YC SV.
A week later I decided to switch to YC GV
And then I saw that it wasnt so much more for a lagoon view. I was set!

November comes and I read there's a cheaper way to go to disney. Orbitz had the same discounts as disney...BUT they had a 20% off no cap promo out as well.

So I upgraded to YC CL for the same price I was paying for a lagoon view from disney.

December comes and I decide that I don't want to arrive on my birthday, but the day before. So I book POP for that night, throw my tickets on to make it a package deal and I was set!

Just before Christmas, I changed over to POFQ. I have a bucket list to stay in all the disney resorts at least once, and since I already stayed at POP I couldn't possibly stay there again! Hubby didn't really care at this point.

Then they released the spring discounts. I couldn't look away! Oh, polynesian. My dream resort. Available at a discounted rate on orbitz, plus their 15% off, plus the $47 I had in orbucks...I talked to hubby over some chick fil a. He agreed to let me upgrade!

So after dinner, I booked and did the little happy dance.

Now I'm content, poly and YC all in the same trip? Fantastic!

20 minutes before the new year, I was laying in bed trying to last until midnight. My husband whispers to me 'do you want to add a second day at the Polynesian?'

What? Huh? Whaaaaat?!

He offered to pay for another day at the Polynesian. But, I had already booked through orbitz and I really didn't want to mess with that reservation. I had not canceled my POFQ reservation through disney. I went online and changed the dates to March 8-9 and upped the park tickets to 5 days.

So I started with a standard view at the YC for three nights to...
1 night at POFQ
1 night at poly
3 nights YC CL

I think I'm done changing...for now.

I think we must be long lost sisters. :groom: I think I've settled on a resort and dates and then I keep looking.....my mind doesn't ever stop going " oh! But look at this!" It's terrible! And if I hear of someone getting a " great rate" somewhere it's even worse because then I keep trying to better my own deal.

POFQ, Poly and YC, oh my! That sounds fantastic!

@pas130 how was your trip??

I think we must be long lost sisters. :groom: I think I've settled on a resort and dates and then I keep looking.....my mind doesn't ever stop going " oh! But look at this!" It's terrible! And if I hear of someone getting a " great rate" somewhere it's even worse because then I keep trying to better my own deal.

I walked into the livingroom and said to my husband 'contemporary' and he said no.

So close to changing POFQ, but I think I'm content at the moment. Every time I get on the Internet, I want to change my resort.

I haven't even thought about ADRs yet. I'm trying to wing it this trip, and it's making my brain go berserk!

Love this thread!! Not sure if I'm considered a changer since I booked the trip through DVC point rental...it felt like I signed it in blood. I DID, however, study pricing and resorts for close to 12 hours (2 six hour days at the computer) before I made this non-refundable trip. Eek! :crazy2:
Ah the non-refundable trip. The biggest fear for a changer! It will be great! It is Disney after all.

POFQ, Poly and YC, oh my! That sounds fantastic!

@pas130 how was your trip??
We are all long lost family :grouphug: I can't even tell you how many March and May trips I've looked at this week, and March wasn't even on my radar until the discounts opened up LOL!!!

My trip was AHHHH-mazing, I booked a bounceback at GF SL in summer. It was hotter than I expected it to be, and it was nice to swim. My kids are absolutely in love with the Grand. My DH agreed that I can keep the reservation, but he's not thrilled about it. My MIL couldn't believe the VIP treatment we got, and neither could I. Sugarloaf is a smaller building but with the friendly CMs it feels like "home" if that makes sense. And the lobby and grounds were so pretty. There was a lot we didn't do because my MIL couldn't tolerate a lot of walking and wouldn't get a wheelchair but we had a blast regardless!!

I walked into the livingroom and said to my husband 'contemporary' and he said no.

So close to changing POFQ, but I think I'm content at the moment. Every time I get on the Internet, I want to change my resort.

I haven't even thought about ADRs yet. I'm trying to wing it this trip, and it's making my brain go berserk!
I am literally LOL because I do that to my DH constantly. Here's my thoughts...POFQ seems lovely, but 2 nights/3 nights is less moving around. I'd take advantage of DH's offer to add a day at Poly ;) Remember there is construction at both resorts, I don't know if that matters to you but they are doing the room refurbs right now at YC. On the positive side I do like the looks of the new YC CL. Decisions, and of course I may not be helping. I only am mentioning it since DH and I took a trip and I booked a night at GF when they were building the VGF. Looking out made me cry and I change resorts onsite and extended my stay at WL CL. Since then, I've been so hesitant to stay at a resort during construction. I've booked and cancelled Poly CL in 2014, 2015, and this time I just want to go back to GF so I cancelled Poly again :)

My trip was AHHHH-mazing, I booked a bounceback at GF SL in summer. It was hotter than I expected it to be, and it was nice to swim. My kids are absolutely in love with the Grand. My DH agreed that I can keep the reservation, but he's not thrilled about it. My MIL couldn't believe the VIP treatment we got, and neither could I. Sugarloaf is a smaller building but with the friendly CMs it feels like "home" if that makes sense. And the lobby and grounds were so pretty. There was a lot we didn't do because my MIL couldn't tolerate a lot of walking and wouldn't get a wheelchair but we had a blast regardless!!

So glad to hear you had a fantastic trip and the GF treated you well! I've considered an arrival night stay at the GF for our anniversary trip this coming September but I'm wondering if DH will think it's stuffy. I've looked at pics of Sugarloaf and it's so beautiful! It sure would be an easy transition though, arrival night at the GF and then on to the Poly for 6 nights...:cloud9:

So glad to hear you had a fantastic trip and the GF treated you well! I've considered an arrival night stay at the GF for our anniversary trip this coming September but I'm wondering if DH will think it's stuffy. I've looked at pics of Sugarloaf and it's so beautiful! It sure would be an easy transition though, arrival night at the GF and then on to the Poly for 6 nights...:cloud9:
My DH finds some of the guests at GF stuffy, not so much the resort itself. We didn't feel the magic in the Main building to be honest, however there was zero stuffiness this last stay. Everyone was friendly and down to Earth, both guests and CMs. You would literally be able to hop a boat or walk to Poly in the morning :)

I love this thread! It may allow my marriage to survive planning this trip!! Provided DH doesn't need to hear anything else about it... We have 2 young kids (4 and 1) and have booked non-changing flights in April, and are keeping it a surprise until closer to the date as my princess-crazy 4yo would drive us bananas otherwise!

I first booked CBR before the spring discounts were out (never stayed before, splash pad would be amazing for kids), then saw AKL was only $500 more after discounts came out, so switched (stayed there when 4yo was 1 and absolutely loved it, plus balconies are such a bonus when kids are sleeping!!) Today was looking and saw WL had standard rooms available for discount for $50 less than AKL, love the idea of being closer to MK and haven't stayed there, so thought it would be great. Then went back to playing with kids, and now that they are in bed, I came up to book and standard view are all gone!!

Now my question is do I keep stalking the site to see if any more come available or is this the universe telling me to leave it alone....

For reference, other contenders were PO (no balconies and pool wasn't as nice as CBR) and any monorail, but that is way out of the budget for this trip. Also looked at AoA for the extra space of a suite, but for that much more, would prefer to go for deluxe.

Thank you for listening and understanding the madness!!

I love this thread! It may allow my marriage to survive planning this trip!! Provided DH doesn't need to hear anything else about it... We have 2 young kids (4 and 1) and have booked non-changing flights in April, and are keeping it a surprise until closer to the date as my princess-crazy 4yo would drive us bananas otherwise!

I first booked CBR before the spring discounts were out (never stayed before, splash pad would be amazing for kids), then saw AKL was only $500 more after discounts came out, so switched (stayed there when 4yo was 1 and absolutely loved it, plus balconies are such a bonus when kids are sleeping!!) Today was looking and saw WL had standard rooms available for discount for $50 less than AKL, love the idea of being closer to MK and haven't stayed there, so thought it would be great. Then went back to playing with kids, and now that they are in bed, I came up to book and standard view are all gone!!

Now my question is do I keep stalking the site to see if any more come available or is this the universe telling me to leave it alone....

For reference, other contenders were PO (no balconies and pool wasn't as nice as CBR) and any monorail, but that is way out of the budget for this trip. Also looked at AoA for the extra space of a suite, but for that much more, would prefer to go for deluxe.

Thank you for listening and understanding the madness!!
Keep looking, but just don't tell the hubby they get annoyed ;) AKL and WL both have construction. WL is major outdoor construction. I do understand about wanting a balcony, AKL has SO much in the resort to enjoy I think both of your kids would love it (even the little munchkin). POR does get rave reviews over CBR too. We may not help your changeritis but we understand and enable :)

Thank you! I now actually have separate bookings for AKL and WL, so I can do a bit more research and see how extensive the construction is. Also, I didn't realise that the splash pad at WL was so nice, so now off to stalk more pictures and to see if it is closed as part of the renos!

We may not help your changeritis but we understand and enable :)

"Changeritis". I love that!

Also, I didn't realise that the splash pad at WL was so nice, so now off to stalk more pictures and to see if it is closed as part of the renos!

From what I have read about the WL renos is that the main pool and splash pad will remain open as they were just refurbed not long ago. The pool near the Villas is closed and is being redone. Boat rental, beach and unpaved path to the Fort Wilderness resort will/is also closed. Lots of refurbs going on there but if you can handle the rest of construction the splash pad should be ok.

Thank you! I now actually have separate bookings for AKL and WL, so I can do a bit more research and see how extensive the construction is. Also, I didn't realise that the splash pad at WL was so nice, so now off to stalk more pictures and to see if it is closed as part of the renos!
I think the reno mostly affects the Beach area, maybe similar to the Poly bungalow construction. I agree the WL Splash pad is cool. Fun fact, the WL slide is the first WDW slide I went on. My DH and I stayed in a Honeymoon room and he dared me (I am a slide chicken....well I was)

"Changeritis". I love that!

From what I have read about the WL renos is that the main pool and splash pad will remain open as they were just refurbed not long ago. The pool near the Villas is closed and is being redone. Boat rental, beach and unpaved path to the Fort Wilderness resort will/is also closed. Lots of refurbs going on there but if you can handle the rest of construction the splash pad should be ok.
Ditto what you said :) WDWKOOK or as I think of her the Bay Lake Queen :) is a lifetime RC family member and is very knowledgeable on the WL construction as best she can be!!

Excellent to hear, this is also what I have been seeing. Although along with the beach area, it looks like that appears to close both the campfire area and the actual playground for kids, so less than ideal since that is a great diversion for 4yo while 1yo naps! But then again, boats to MK and Contemporary should offer pretty good diversions too :)

I have read very different views on the extent to which the noise is disruptive, so worst case, we will request a room away from it so it doesn't interfere with little man's nap. They said construction is only 9 am to 7 pm, so not bad for the rest of the day, just that mid-afternoon nap that we all depend on for a happy family! :)

And I echo every wonderful thing said about AKL, we adored it, but would like to try other places since it will only be our 3rd onsite stay and I would love to see more of the resorts! It seems wrong to limit ourselves, even though we know we would have a fabulous time at AKL. When kids are bigger, I would definitely think about split stays, but that is way too much work to lug the kids around and uproot them any more than necessary when they are so little.

Thank you all for your enabling! :)

I am so confused and conflicted! LOL! So we switched back to a standard room at CBR and added the dining plan again. We are letting the kids each chose a place to eat and after doing the figures we would come out a little ahead if we did the dining plan, and also one of the ADR's that is on the want list is CRT and it would be really nice not having to prepay that amount right now (lots of money going out this month with dance competition season upon us!) We are going in July so discounts have not been released but looking at the spring discounts we maybe able to switch to a deluxe for not to much more or go to a better view at CBR for a little less. My dream would be a room at the Contemporary or Poly....oh so many many choices!

I am so confused and conflicted! LOL! So we switched back to a standard room at CBR and added the dining plan again. We are letting the kids each chose a place to eat and after doing the figures we would come out a little ahead if we did the dining plan, and also one of the ADR's that is on the want list is CRT and it would be really nice not having to prepay that amount right now (lots of money going out this month with dance competition season upon us!) We are going in July so discounts have not been released but looking at the spring discounts we maybe able to switch to a deluxe for not to much more or go to a better view at CBR for a little less. My dream would be a room at the Contemporary or Poly....oh so many many choices!
There is a travel agency (not allowed to be mentioned on the DIS) which has Poly in July at a significant savings (over 45% off I think). Google Tikifest 2016

Looked for that deal and go figure the week we are going no deals..... Oh well I guess I will keep looking and dreaming!

Here I go again....

Currently booked in August at the BC, standard view room under the agency deal and have been booked for months. We love the BC and haven't stayed there as a family in a few years so it was a no brainer when the great deal came out (so I thought).

The problem?? Well, as much as I love the BC, I've never stayed there in a regular standard view room - always a garden view or always in CL and knowing there are quite a few "not-so-great" standard views, I can't help but think I'll be miserable if we get stuck in one of those so I keep thinking about switching to the GF, garden view room. DH says I'm crazy and is insisting we stay put since this is supposed to be a "budget" trip. I, on the other hand, keep thinking if I scale back the trip by a day and move to the GF, budget will be a moot point. Girls are no help either as they are torn - one prefers the BC while the other prefers the GF but neither want to scale back a day so they are siding with dad...ugh....LOL! To change or not to change?? That is the question :upsidedow.

Here I go again....

Currently booked in August at the BC, standard view room under the agency deal and have been booked for months. We love the BC and haven't stayed there as a family in a few years so it was a no brainer when the great deal came out (so I thought).

The problem?? Well, as much as I love the BC, I've never stayed there in a regular standard view room - always a garden view or always in CL and knowing there are quite a few "not-so-great" standard views, I can't help but think I'll be miserable if we get stuck in one of those so I keep thinking about switching to the GF, garden view room. DH says I'm crazy and is insisting we stay put since this is supposed to be a "budget" trip. I, on the other hand, keep thinking if I scale back the trip by a day and move to the GF, budget will be a moot point. Girls are no help either as they are torn - one prefers the BC while the other prefers the GF but neither want to scale back a day so they are siding with dad...ugh....LOL! To change or not to change?? That is the question :upsidedow.

Hello Stranger!!!
And, doesn't the agency deal include the GF as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter