Arrival at port - rental car

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
We will be travelling to the port in a rental car. DH wanted to drop all the passnegers and luggage at the port and then return the rental car on his own, come back and meet up with us. Is that possible? If so, where would he drop us? Normally, when he has drpped me off outside the terminal, he continues on to the parking lot but will he be able to exit to get to the rental car dropoff place.

And does anyone know how far the Dollar rental garage is from the Port?

Dollar rental car is about 15 minutes away.... A cab ride will cost about 20 dollars... We did this last year renting a car in port canaveral for the day. Oh I forgot...we returned it after 5 pm so there wasn't the free shuttle ....

Dollar is 10-15 minutes from the port, but we got a free shuttle from their location to the port. There is basically one main road in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach--it is what the Beach Line becomes if you don't get off to enter the cruise area. Dollar/Thrifty is maybe 4-5 miles from the port turn off, right across from Publix.

Yes, it is very easy to drop the passengers and luggage and have DH return the rental car and then shuttle back to meet the family at the terminal. Just be sure that he keeps a photo ID (like driver's license) to get back into the port area.

We are doing this for the 1st time this year as well...

Our plan is to get there at 11 (our boarding time).
So, when I drop myfamily off first, will they be able to get into the terminal wihtout me or do they have to wait for me to get there before they let them in?

Also, could my wife get in line to get our boarding pass if she has the paperwork, or do we have to all be present at the counter first?

Thanks kcashner and all for you help :)

We are renting from Avis... anyone else use Avis and is shuttle good or should I use taxi? Thanks!!

So, when I drop myfamily off first, will they be able to get into the terminal wihtout me or do they have to wait for me to get there before they let them in?

Also, could my wife get in line to get our boarding pass if she has the paperwork, or do we have to all be present at the counter first?

We are renting from Avis... anyone else use Avis and is shuttle good or should I use taxi? Thanks!!

I'm really curious about this as well as we'll be driving a rental car from AVIS to the port this December.

On our 3 Cruises we always used Avis and found there service at the station and the shuttle very good.They use big vans which have room enough for ca. 15 or more passengers.
Conny

On our 3 Cruises we always used Avis and found there service at the station and the shuttle very good.They use big vans which have room enough for ca. 15 or more passengers.
Conny

Can I be nosy and ask a few more questions? (I know, too late. :) )

Do you have to book the shuttle or is it timed? Like every 15 mins?

Does it have a start and end time?

Is it easy to get to the rental car office?

Thanks. :)

Yes, your family will be able to go into the terminal and check-in without you. Just make sure that they have your passport/birth certificate and that you keep your driver's license to get into the terminal.

When you get to the terminal you will have to get in one of the check-in lines to get your picture taken for your KTTW card.

OH, this is a great thread!! all the questions and answers are so helpful. we will cruise in Dec as well and i have already been stressing over the whole rental car deal. DH wants to keep rental car at parking garage, and pick up after cruise, I think we shoudl return car and rent again after the cruise. I have to price check both options. :confused3

OH, this is a great thread!! all the questions and answers are so helpful. we will cruise in Dec as well and i have already been stressing over the whole rental car deal. DH wants to keep rental car at parking garage, and pick up after cruise, I think we shoudl return car and rent again after the cruise. I have to price check both options. :confused3

I looked at both options and dropping the car off and renting again when you disembark is definitely cheaper. At least with Avis UK.

It wasn't much difference (about £15 I think so about $22?) but add to the the cost of parking at the port and it's a big difference.

All the car rental offices at Port Canaveral are easy to get to and have a free shuttle (as long as you are picking up/dropping off during normal hours). The shuttles run continuously in the morning picking up and dropping off passengers at the cruise terminal so no need to make an appointment.

The agencies that are near Port Canaveral are:

Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar (same location) and Enterprise.

You can find discount car rental codes at www.mousesavers.com There is also a Disboard Rental code in the link below for Budget.

We have used most of them and all have been fine. Yes, there may be a backup of people at one or the other but overall they provide the same service. I believe they are all located at different location on A1A (Astronaut Blvd.).

I pick the one that has the cheapest rate for the time I need. Thrifty/Dollar charges a one-way drop fee but often they still come out cheaper even with the drop fee.

Check out this page on the Dis....

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-transportation.htm#rental

Location Code for Rental Car pick up/drop off at Orlando International Airport is: MCO

PORT LOCATIONS ARE BELOW:

Avis:
Location Code: P3F
Address: 6650 North Atlantic Ave
(services Port Canaveral)
Cape Canaveral, FL, 32920 , US
Phone Number: (1) 321-783-3643
Hours of Operation: Sun 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Mon - Fri 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Sat 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------

Budget:
Location code: CC5 - CAPE CANAVERAL,FL
BUDGET CAR RENTAL
8401 ASTRONAUT BOULEVARD
CAPE CANAVERAL , FL 32920 US
Location code CC5
321-784-0634
This is a Fastbreak Counter location

Free pick-up service!

Hours of Operation Exception Hours
Sun 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sat 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

LABOR DAY September 5 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
THANKSGIVING November 24 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
CHRISTMAS EVE December 24 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
CHRISTMAS December 25 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
NEW YEARS EVE December 31 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM

NEW YEARS DAY January 1 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thrifty/Dollar
Location code: MU2
CAPE CANAVERAL, FL, USA (MU2)
6799 N. ATLANTIC AVENUE
CAPE CANAVERAL, FL UNITED STATES 32920
(321) 783-2600
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hertz
Location code: HLE
8963 Astronaut Blvd HLE
Address: 8963 Astronaut Blvd HLE
Cape Canaveral , Florida
United States
Phone : 321-783-7771
Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 0730-1730, Sa-Su 0800-1600
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Enterprise
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
6211 N ATLANTIC AVE
CAPE CANAVERAL, FL 32920-5820

Tel.: (321) 866-0324

Open Close
Monday 7:30 am 5:30 pm
Tuesday 7:30 am 5:30 pm
Wednesday 7:30 am 5:30 pm
Thursday 7:00 am 5:30 pm
Friday 7:30 am 5:30 pm
Saturday 7:00 am 4:00 pm
Sunday 7:00 am 4:00 pm
-----------------------------------------------------------------

WALT DISNEY WORLD RENTAL CAR LOCATIONS WHERE YOU CAN PICK UP AT WDW AND DROP OFF AT PORT (courtesy of www.mousesavers.com)

Avis has a location at Hilton in the Walt Disney World Resort near Downtown Disney. Some people have reported that this location was willing to send transportation to pick them up from a local hotel. If not, you can take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Downtown Disney. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street to the Hilton. The phone number of the Hilton's Avis desk is (407) 827-2847.

Budget has a location at Doubletree Guest Suites in the Walt Disney World Resort near Downtown Disney. You can take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Downtown Disney. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street and up Hotel Plaza Blvd to Doubletree Guest Suites. It's about a mile. Alternatively, you can take a taxi from Downtown Disney, which should cost around $5. The phone number of Doubletree Guest Suites' Budget desk is (407) 827-6089.

Dollar has a location at Wyndham Lake Buena Vista near Downtown Disney. Some people have reported that this location was willing to send transportation to pick them up from a local hotel. If not, you can take a Disney bus from any of the Disney resorts to Downtown Disney. Get off at the Marketplace stop, then walk across the street to the Wyndham. The phone number of Wyndham Lake Buena Vista's Dollar desk is (407) 583-8000.

Enterprise has a location at Royal Plaza in the Walt Disney World Resort near Downtown Disney. Enterprise should be willing to send someone to pick you up. The phone number of Royal Plaza's Enterprise desk is (407) 397-0800.

Hertz has a location at Shades of Green, which is on Disney property but open to the military only. The phone number of Shades of Green's Hertz desk is (407) 938-0600.

I HAVE ADDED ALL THIS INFO TO THE FAQ STICKY THREAD FOR FUTURE REFERENCE UNDER "RENTAL CARS"

MJ

Thanks!

That's amazingly helpful.

FYI, I'm the artist formerly known as jharrowell. I had an identity crisis and decided to make a new account with a username that matches all my other ones on the interweb. :)

Yes, your family will be able to go into the terminal and check-in without you. Just make sure that they have your passport/birth certificate and that you keep your driver's license to get into the terminal.

When you get to the terminal you will have to get in one of the check-in lines to get your picture taken for your KTTW card.

Okay, so it sunds like they can get into the terminal without me being there.
The second question was could she get our boarding number before I got there, and it sounds like that might not work.

Do they take our photo right when we get checked in for our boarding pass, or do they do the photo as you are boarding on the causeway like they used to do with Mickey?
If they take photo when getting your boarding number, then they will have to wait until I am there...

Thanks everyone for your input... it is SO helpful :)

Okay, so it sunds like they can get into the terminal without me being there.
The second question was could she get our boarding number before I got there, and it sounds like that might not work.

Do they take our photo right when we get checked in for our boarding pass, or do they do the photo as you are boarding on the causeway like they used to do with Mickey?
If they take photo when getting your boarding number, then they will have to wait until I am there...

Thanks everyone for your input... it is SO helpful :)

There are really two photos...one when you are at the check in desk for security and the other just before you actually step onboard the ship for fun. Since you will be meeting your family in the terminal before you board you can all be in the embarcation photo together.

You family will get their security pic taken at check in and when you arrive you can go up to the same CM and get your pic taken and you will be given your KTTW cards (if they have not already given it to your spouse).

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter