ARMADILLOS@Florida!

AuroraBelleCindy

Mouseketeer
When I wrote about my tips I got a post on where the armadillo was (you would know if you read my tips thread you would know.) Anyways, at CSR we were at the 3rd bus station and we crossed the parking lot and an armadillo was sitting on the sidewalk!:Pinkbounc First we thought it was a rabbit, then we thought it was a racoon as we got closer and after we got a little bit closr we saw it's shell and we figured out it was an armadillo!:bounce: But we backed up so we wouldn't see us but it heard us so it waddled through the bushes. It was a great memory and it was funny because he really did waddle!:smooth: :p

In April of 2002, we were tent camping at FW (loop 2000, "Spanish Moss Lane" space 2041 if memory serves... :confused: it was a great campsite, regardless!) and late one night, we heard a rustling in the undergrowth separating our campsite from our neighbor's. We figured it was a racoon, but nope! Armadillo! First time we'd ever seen one outside of a zoo and yes, it sure did waddle! :Pinkbounc :jester: :bounce:

Sandy

(going through major FW and WDW withdrawals right now...)

I've stayed at FW many times through the years, and all but two of those very happy trips were on the Spanish Moss Lane loop!

We saw an armadillo on our first camping trip there in '91 (quite a surprise!) and have had 5 official (and one questionable) spottings in the years that followed. It has become a vacation tradition to see if we can spot one!

How neat that someone else has had the same experience. I can't wait to tell my folks!

When staying at the ASSP in 1996, we had one right outside our room. My daughter was screaming when she opened the door and spotted it!

ok, I thought I was the only one. We stayed at ASmovies and saw one waddling around in the grass. I had no idea what it was at first...it was pretty dark out. I must have stayed and watched that thing for about 20 min. We don't have armadillos here in the Poconos....deer..yes...bear...yes....turkeys...yes but no armadillos.

I love these posts about all the wild critters at Disney!! We used to live in Jacksonville, Fl. in a heavily wooded neighborhood. We saw armsdillos, raccoons, and opposums all the time! The golf course across the street had it's share of gators in the lakes! My husband even saw a fox in our neighborhood one time! Of course, there were lizards all over the place! I miss the natural inhabitants down there!! Have fun you guys, and keep your eyes open!!

We also have a cute armadillo story! Back in 1993 we stayed at Fort Wilderness in one of the homes. My 6 yr. old was checking out his new surroundings while I unpacked, when he came running into the bedroom, "Mommy, mommy, there's a pig in the yard!" I said, I don't think so honey, it's probably a dog, don't get too close. He went back out, then came running back, "Mommy, it's not a dog, and it's not a pig, but I'm not sure what it is!" Well, now we all went running out,and sure enough there was an armadillo digging a hole in the yard! It is still one of our top memories out of all of our trips to "The World"!:D

I like to think of these little "creatures" as good luck now. We made our first-ever military move last year to Jax./Mayport, FL and on the day that we came to town to close on our house, the first thing we saw at the real estate office was a baby armadillo sitting in a bush! Who knew? I never thought we would ever see one in FL. Now on occasion, we will see them. They are kind of cute up close. The good luck came into play that we had a smooth transition and love it here! We will look for one at Disney when we go.( So far, we have only seen bunnies and a snake.)

When I was a girl we used to camp at Ft. Wilderness every summer and these critters were everywhere. The park (MK only then!) used to stay open til Midnite or 1am and we'd go look for armadilloes afterward. They are real clowns, and a treat for us Yankees who rarely see them. Southerners perhaps don't like them as well; another poster on the Boards says they are a nuisance. I think they are nifty!

Wehave got a few Armadillo's wander about our Estate [ Sunset LAkes] THey are so cute, and a bit dozy really. [ Would love to go right up to one, but don't know if they bite or anything ?!]
We do get a wonderful selection of wild life - my fave on our last visit a couple of weeks ago, was a family of cranes, with red feathers on their heads [ don't know the full name for them sorry] and the mum and Dad were looking for insects and feeding the babies right outside our pool cage - I was enamoured by them.
Ain't nature grand :)

I have seen them along the interstate...dead and alive, but never in the park or resort area....hope to see one this year...

We saw quite a few our last trip as well. And have you seen the deer? Especially right near the entrance to the WL. We saw a trio each night during our recent stay there. They were always munching on wildflowers right around early sundown. Just proves WDW is a magical place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter