Arizona & Utah: Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) Meets Thread

Has anyone pre-booked dining at Chee ah chee or El Tovar?

I read on the boards that it was a good idea but Chee Ah Chee looks like it's unavailable and I am still more than 30 days out for El Tovar.

Will the guides have some reservations for us? I think at this point, I would just rather work through them and take my chances but would love to hear what others decided to do.

We did pre- book the El-Tovar on our own. It was well worth it for it does get quite busy. The food was very good IMO. There is a room off the main dining room with large picture windows that overlook the canyon. Very beautiful view. I do believe there was some reservations from the guides but not enough for everyone in the group. You do eat breakfast at the El Tovar and believe me it had quite large portions that keep you full for the day. There is also a cafeteria type restaurant by the hotel which has a lot of selections and the food also was pretty good.

What is Chee ah Chee and where is it?
Does El Tovar book only at 30 days? Is it suitable to take a 5 and 8 year old and do they have a junior explorers night while at the Grand Canyon?

What is Chee ah Chee and where is it?
Does El Tovar book only at 30 days? Is it suitable to take a 5 and 8 year old and do they have a junior explorers night while at the Grand Canyon?

El Tovar is a white linen table place but we saw many families with small kids. The junior explorers night we had was when we were at the last resort ( sorry the name escapes me now). It was the dude ranch resort....the kids loved it. The trip is very relaxed all around and I'm sure your kids will have a great time. I'm think that Chee ah Chee is the cafeteria type restaurant located a short walk behind the hotel. It was pretty good and had a souvenir shop attached. There is also an ice cream shop located next to the hotel that does a brisk business. It. Closes at 9:00 p.m. I believe and when we were there the temps were 110+ at night so it was a treat for us.

El Tovar is a white linen table place but we saw many families with small kids. The junior explorers night we had was when we were at the last resort ( sorry the name escapes me now). It was the dude ranch resort....the kids loved it. The trip is very relaxed all around and I'm sure your kids will have a great time. I'm think that Chee ah Chee is the cafeteria type restaurant located a short walk behind the hotel. It was pretty good and had a souvenir shop attached. There is also an ice cream shop located next to the hotel that does a brisk business. It. Closes at 9:00 p.m. I believe and when we were there the temps were 110+ at night so it was a treat for us.
Red Cliffs Lodge. :) What a gorgeous resort!

Sayhello

This restaurant is actually the fine dining restaurant at the resort in Sedona. It sounds excellent but looks like it's booked for the summer. I am thinking the guides have grabbed some reservations there! If not, I am sure we will find another great place in Sedona.

http://enchantmentresort.com/dining/che-ah-chi/

This restaurant is actually the fine dining restaurant at the resort in Sedona. It sounds excellent but looks like it's booked for the summer. I am thinking the guides have grabbed some reservations there! If not, I am sure we will find another great place in Sedona.

http://enchantmentresort.com/dining/che-ah-chi/

Again my memory fails me. On our trip there was enough reservations for the group. Good thing for "downtown" Sedona is quite a ride from the resort. We ate there and it was pretty good. The breakfast is wonderful as you sit outside on the deck looking at those famous red rocks of Sedona. I gotta start writing these things down......:lmao:

Carpenta,

Don't even sweat it! Your advice has been awesome and your memory is great. We are getting really excited for this trip. Now, it's just thinking about what to pack!

acndis

Carpenta,

Don't even sweat it! Your advice has been awesome and your memory is great. We are getting really excited for this trip. Now, it's just thinking about what to pack!

acndis

It was quite hot when we were there so most everyone wore shorts and T shirts. A good set of hiking shoes is a good bet for we did a lot of walking. A good SPF hat is recommended as well as good sun glasses. When you ride horses long pants are needed BUT you can do wash at the Red Cliffs resort. For dinner at the resorts a nice outfit is recommended for the first resort is REALLY Really nice spa/zen atmosphere. A.C in all the resorts works great. :love: We hiked to see the sun rise at Sedona and it was spectacular......It was only a couple miles from the resort up on top of a cliff. East walk/hike. We took hiking sticks that collapse and fir into our bags and that helped. Of our three ABD trips that is our favorite.....just beautiful...Hope you get Mike as your guide for he is one of ABD's superstars.....Anything else I could add just ask.:)

Just wondering if anyone has gone on a 2014 tour here yet. If you have, who are the tour guides and what did you think of them?

I was able to make reservations for 5 at 6:30 pm on Day 4 at El Tovar. They did not have 7 pm available so I would suggest making reservations as soon as you are 30 days out. I did it over email and they responded within a few hours! It was great.

I heard a rumor from a very good source that we are going to have an excellent guide in July on this trip! It's her first time on this itinerary but she's a very seasoned guide. She's paired with someone new whom she is very excited about! I don't want to give names because I know ABD does not like to name guides in case last minute changes are made but I know my family was ecstatic when we found out who it was! Now we are even more excited for the trip!

I was able to make reservations for 5 at 6:30 pm on Day 4 at El Tovar. They did not have 7 pm available so I would suggest making reservations as soon as you are 30 days out. I did it over email and they responded within a few hours! It was great.

I heard a rumor from a very good source that we are going to have an excellent guide in July on this trip! It's her first time on this itinerary but she's a very seasoned guide. She's paired with someone new whom she is very excited about! I don't want to give names because I know ABD does not like to name guides in case last minute changes are made but I know my family was ecstatic when we found out who it was! Now we are even more excited for the trip!
We are going the week before you. I hope we have the excellent guide too! :goodvibes

We are going the week before you. I hope we have the excellent guide too! :goodvibes

Kim,

I hope you have her, too, but we may be her first week. She's ABD'ing elsewhere this month and I not sure when she heads to AZ. But, I am sure whomever you have will be terrific. I always love the guides.

As I said, I wish we were together. I really enjoyed your family in Ireland. Have a great time and let us know how it was when you return!

Cindy

As I said, I wish we were together. I really enjoyed your family in Ireland. Have a great time and let us know how it was when you return!
yes, that would have been wonderful to have picked the same week! I hope we travel together again! Have a wonderful time!

HI all- I've never been on an ABD trip before and my husband and I just signed up for this trip leaving May 20 of 2015 for our 30th anniversary. very excited to read all your thoughts.

Rhona

HI all- I've never been on an ABD trip before and my husband and I just signed up for this trip leaving May 20 of 2015 for our 30th anniversary. very excited to read all your thoughts.

Rhona
Hi, Rhona, and welcome to the ABD Forum! The Arizona & Utah ABD was the first ABD (of 6) that I took, and I still think it's a fabulous trip!! If you'd like, you can read my trip report linked in my Signature for more details & impressions. The itinerary has changed a bit since I took the trip, but it is still essentially the same. :) I may be prejudiced, but I think you're going to love it!

I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of this Thread.

Sayhello

Well, we are 1 day away .... from the end :( of our first ABD. We have Doug and Pamm and both are great! We have 27 adventurers with 15 being under 15. Lots of activities boys. Red cliffs is amazing as is Enchantment. I couldn't WAIT to get out of the Kachina Lodge at GC village though. A value, maybe moderate hotel at best. Air conditioning was poor as were the beds. I do get the location as the reason to stay there. Doug did speak on the bus prior to getting there about those concerns and rationale. There didn't seem to be any other choices. Dinner at el tovar was very good and the guides were able to secure a last minute reservation for one family. So far, my favorite location has to be Moab. So much so that I'm reconsidering Europe ABD next summer for Wyoming. The outdoors is amazing out here! Love, love, love my trip! Anyone with questions, I'll try to find answers. You have one more day if I don't know the answer for me to ask the guides. :)

Well, we are 1 day away .... from the end :( of our first ABD. We have Doug and Pamm and both are great! We have 27 adventurers with 15 being under 15. Lots of activities boys. Red cliffs is amazing as is Enchantment. I couldn't WAIT to get out of the Kachina Lodge at GC village though. A value, maybe moderate hotel at best. Air conditioning was poor as were the beds. I do get the location as the reason to stay there. Doug did speak on the bus prior to getting there about those concerns and rationale. There didn't seem to be any other choices. Dinner at el tovar was very good and the guides were able to secure a last minute reservation for one family. So far, my favorite location has to be Moab. So much so that I'm reconsidering Europe ABD next summer for Wyoming. The outdoors is amazing out here! Love, love, love my trip! Anyone with questions, I'll try to find answers. You have one more day if I don't know the answer for me to ask the guides. :)

Thanks for the "quickie" report. We did this trip a couple years ago and also fell in love with the scenery. I agree that the hotel at the G.C. is not up to par but the location can't be beat. I guess it is a trade off for location. Our AC worked great for at the time it was 112 degrees.....:crazy2:.....I believe that since you start in the Enchantment the let down to the Kachina is more dramatic. Glad you are having a wonderful time and our horse back riding at the Red Cliffs is still one of our favorite memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter