Are there Disney movies you DON'T like? Classics, even?

I dislike most of the canon between Lion King and Meet the Robinsons--Pocahontas, Mulan, Hercules, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, etc. Then again, I didn't even bother seeing Brother Bear, Home on the Range, and Treasure Planet...

I dislike most of the canon between Lion King and Meet the Robinsons--Pocahontas, Mulan, Hercules, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, etc. Then again, I didn't even bother seeing Brother Bear, Home on the Range, and Treasure Planet...

I pretty much agree here, except I do like Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Toy Story. :goodvibes DH is a Cars fan for some reason. :confused3

I really don't like the Black Cauldron. And Jungle Book puts me to sleep.

I pretty much agree here, except I do like Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Toy Story. :goodvibes DH is a Cars fan for some reason. :confused3

I really don't like the Black Cauldron. And Jungle Book puts me to sleep.

Toy Story and other Pixar movies aren't part of the canon! I love all of the Pixar movies except Cars, which I think is OK and the GF hates (she also loves every other Pixar movie).

I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate messages for this, but I don't really like 'Beauty and the Beast.' But there's a LOT of things I like about the movie:
  • The score is beautifully made.
  • The story is crafted very beautifully.
  • The songs are very excellent. The title song and 'Be Our Guest' are on my favorite Disney song list.
  • The side characters are also a lot of fun, particularly the help in the castle.
  • I like how the movie tosses in some good comedy to lighten up an otherwise dark movie. I do find myself chuckling at scenes where Lumiere and Cogsworth are bickering.
  • The Beast is a very good male lead, even though he can be frightening in some scenes.
  • And to top it off, I can highly relate to Belle.
It's the villain that makes the film suffer in my opinion. Whenever I think of great Disney villains, I think of something along the lines of Ratigan, Ursula and Jafar. Gaston, to me, just felt annoying, narcissistic and a complete jerk. Overall, I think this phrase sums it up: 'One bad apple spoils the whole barrel.' And Gaston's that bad apple.

Other flicks I don't like:
  • Fantasia (although the sequel did a LOT better and felt a bit more interesting, my personal favorite segments being 'Donald's Ark,' 'Rhapsody in Blue' and obviously 'Sorcerer's Apprentice.')
  • Snow Dogs (The plot's too stupid to stomach and I think Cuba Gooding Jr. tried way too hard to be funny in this.)
  • Lady and the Tramp (The middle of the movie was very mean-spirited to me, even as an adult. Although I would give it credit that it had some great characters, a very sweet beginning and end and the songs are good. It's pretty much a sandwich movie.)
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice (Why would they take what was a great Mickey short and have the cast be completely human? That just says 'stupidity.')

My daughter is in California working on a project for Pixar right now and we have seen every Disney movie. She is living her dream. We have loved most of them, however, my daughter is quite the feminist and some of the older "princess" movies do bother us...(I have three very independent women who are my daughters). They love Belle and Merida but not so much Cinderella, Snow White or Aurora.

My one son, didn't like "Robin Hood" or any princess movie for that matter.

Disney movies are still a matter of individual taste.

Me...and my Disney daughter....we love them all for different reasons. She is an artist and animator and her current mentor is the artistic director for "Finding Nemo" so she is thrilled.

Sleeping Beauty :confused3

Also, I didn't much like Wall-E. It came out when I was in grad school, and all my colleagues were excited about how it revived silent movie traditions, etc., but when I saw it I was pretty underwhelmed

I hate how pretty much all Disney movies portray hunters as badguys. What total rubbish. :mad:

Pocahontas
Anastasia
Mulan
Lilo & Stitch
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Tarzan
Meet the Robinsons

...all do nothing for me.

I am not being smug, but Anastasia is not a Disney movie.

I'm not a fan of Pinocchio. It just never appealed to me. I'm also not a fan of the original 3 princess movies. They always bored me and it might be in part because Little Mermaid was the first movie I saw in theaters and all the princesses there after hold a special place in my heart. I hate most of the DVD sequels/prequels except Lion King 1 1/2 & The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning. For some reason I remember liking Hunchback when I was younger, but I recently watched it and couldn't finish it.

Mulan
The plot and characters were just OK and I found the songs very boring and forgettable. Also, Shan Yu is one of Disney's worst villains IMO. He looks pretty intimidating but since he has about two lines in the entire movie he is extremely forgettable.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves *hides*:scared:
I understand why it was so popular at the time since it was one of the first (the first?) animated movies but it hasn't aged very well in my opinion. To me Snow White is far too passive as a character; she just sort of sits around and lets things happen to her instead of making her own decisions like Belle or Ariel (my favorite and second favorite Disney princesses respectively.) Also, the songs are nice enough but not as good as some of the songs in the Disney Renaissance movies.

I don't hate either of them but I don't think they're among Disney's best either.

Okay, here it goes...............

Sleeping Beauty
The Rescuers Down Under
Tarzan
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
Brother Bear
Home on the Range
Chicken Little
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt

I'm really beginning to hate Pocohontas also

And for Pixar...............Brave, Cars, and Cars 2

Personally, I don't hate any classics from Disney. Bambi, Dumbo, and maybe Alice in Wonderland would be considered classics I'm not big on.

As for newer disney movies, Chicken Little, Wall-e, and Meet the Robinsons are 3 unbearable ones for sure

Pocahontas:
I don't mind the historical inaccuracies in the movie but the plot is far too preachy and generic for me. Also, Ratcliffe is a lousy villain. I know not every Disney villain can be as awesome as Frollo, Ursula, Gaston, or Hades but Ratcliffe seems more like a comedic villain sidekick like LeFou from BatB rather than the movie’s big bad.

The Lion King (yes, the first one not the DTV schlock):
I never understood why so many people like this movie so much. :confused3 OK, I admit, the first third or so of the movie is great; the Circle of Life opening, the wildebeest stampede, Mufasa’s death, and so on are all awesome. If the whole movie was as good as the first 25 minutes or so then it would probably oust The Little Mermaid as my second favorite Disney movie (Beauty and the Beast is my top favorite). But the movie kind of falls apart after Simba is exiled and it never really gets back on track.

The second act drags on too long while Simba plays around with Timon and Pumbaa (am I the only one who find the Hakuna Matata song kind of annoying?) and Simba's decision to return to Pride Rock is too easy in my opinion. Instead of deciding to take responsibility and coming to terms with Mufasa's death on his own, Simba goes back to give Scar the boot only because Nala, Rafiki, and Mufasa tell him to.

The finale is better than the middle of the movie but not as good as the conclusions to BatB, Mermaid, or Hunchback in my opinion. To me having Scar fight Simba directly is unfitting for his character; the movie builds him up as more of a schemer rather than a direct antagonist like Gaston. Scar knew he couldn't beat Mufasa mano a mano so he tricked him into getting stampeded by the wildebeests, but when Simba show up Scar seems perfectly willing to take him on directly instead of using his wits. There isn't really much tension to the battle since Simba is much bigger, stronger, and younger than Scar is so in a straight confrontation Scar doesn't stand a chance. *I haven't seen the movie in years so I might be remembering it incorrectly.*

After Scar's death everything is fixed far too easily. Was Scar really such a bad king that it stopped raining, all the waterholes dried up, and all the plants died? And Simba (who has no experience leading a pride, while Scar had presumably spent most of his adult life watching Mufasa do exactly that in the hope that he would be the leader someday) can fix everything in couple of years tops? I know that several years of lean rations in which most of the pride starves to death would be too much of a downer for a Disney movie but the "Simba is back so everything is fine now" ending has always bothered me.
I don't hate TLK but I think it's one of Disney's most overrated movies.

I like this thread!

I have an odd reason for hating Sleeping Beauty: I watched it at age 6 and was sick during it (I spare you all the details!) and I now fully associate that movie with being sick. Maybe I'll re-watch it when DD is a bit older and see if I can get past this.

I found the middle of Peter Pan to go on forever, though I love the story and the premise (and I loved Hook as a child).

Fantasia bored me to tears as a child.

I really don't care for Cars or The Incredibles. Never bothered to see Ratatouille. Of the princesses, I'm not a big fan of Snow White. Don't think I've ever seem Hunchback of Notre Dame. Oh and I don't like all the Disney Fairy movies, although I really love Tink and Peter Pan. Never thought I was a fan of Toy Story or Monsters Inc but i recently saw Monsters U and Toy Story 3 and I've changed my mind! I enjoyed both.
Surprised to see how many people on here dislike Pocahontas and Robin Hood- I love them!

DUMBO!!!
I watched it for the 1st time a few months ago, and I think it may the worst Disney movie. i won't even go to Stroybook Circus or ride Dumbo anymore!

We just tried to watch Mulan (neither of us have seen it all the way through) and realized that its kind of boring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter