Are Grocery Shelves Empty By You?

Be sure and look behind the product’s front row. Many stores here have employees pulling what product there is to the front of the shelf so it looks full. It makes no sense to me but I see them doing it.

Here’s a question for the group … would you be willing to pay potentially higher prices for goods if those goods were manufactured in the United States (or Canada) rather than overseas? Just curious.

Do it everyday as much as possible. Have done for years, but I am also fortunate to be able to do that. Toys, clothing, any sort of skincare/things going in or on the body, even shoes. You can find stuff, but you do have to do the research.

I'm sure glad my cats aren't picky. There are certain types of litter I prefer because they don't make as much of a mess, but I will buy whatever is on sale.

I went in for milk. I came out with this, and they lasted all of three hours…
2cc3a6c5-6935-4cfe-a7b4-67e8208c8b39-jpeg.615465

Oooo! Those look yummy. :love:

They remind me that there's Pepperidge Farms peppermint milanos. I hope they will still be on the shelves when I'm finally ready for some Christmas treats. And while I love chocolate covered pretzels, the milanos don't have the salt in them that the pretzels do.

e37793e0-8432-40cf-8dea-f38dca5a3d34.2aad5d54813ac4d32d9b1cf85f717522.jpeg

Be sure and look behind the product’s front row. Many stores here have employees pulling what product there is to the front of the shelf so it looks full. It makes no sense to me but I see them doing it.

Yes, I was at the Kingston, NY Walmart this weekend. Most stores pull the product to the front. But, there definitely wasn't very much product behind the things I was getting. And I noticed that the opened cases they had behind were all turned sideways, so the product was spread out more along the shelves. For instance, the short side of a rectangular case may have 6 cans across, and the long side has 9 cans. Whereas before, the shelves used to house two cases side by side, so 12 cans across altogether, the shelves now have 18 cans across of an item.

Last edited:
not a store but I just tried ordering delivery from Arbys....was told they're OUT OF ROAST BEEF!!

:rotfl: That reminds me of the time, decades ago, that I went to Boston Chicken and they said they were out of chicken. Several years later they finally changed their name to Boston Market. I wondered if they kept constantly running out of chicken and thus part of the name change?

I will say, my last 3 Aldi's trips, they were out of all the 1lb lunch meat tubs and the smoked salmon...this was annoying...I'm going again this weekend, but if it's still gone, that's more than just folks buying it out before me, b/c I've been on 3 different days of the week at 3 different times...
Check to make sure they didn’t relocate the smoked salmon to a different area of the refrigerated section. Same thing happened to me on two consecutive trips. Couldn’t find it in its usual spot. My local Aldi used to keep the smoked salmon close to the fresh beef/chicken/pork section. They’ve since moved it to another area near the cheese/hummus section. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Are people aware that Walmart hasn't re-opened to 24-hours?

We were down at the Jersey Shore a few weeks ago. We don't really have Walmart in Manhattan. Prices are so much cheaper there than in any Manhattan supermarket. One can of chick peas is about $0.59. Whereas in Manhattan, it's $2.29. So, usually on our trips back, we prefer to drive while we are still alert and awake. :hyper: And make a very last stop at Walmart before crossing the border to Manhattan - usually at about 11pm or later.

We happen to get there at 10:30-ish and 5 minutes into shopping came the announcement that Walmart was closing a 11pm. :eek: :faint: Walmart has never fully re-opened to 24 hours since the pandemic. :headache:

It never occurred to us that they hadn't gone back to "normal." We were running around like that supermarket game show, trying to fill up the cart as quickly as possible in the time allowed.
flaminghead-runner.gif

We didn't get everything we needed. (And this before learning about the supply chain issues.) So, when we went to see the Autumn foliage, a couple days ago, I Googled and learned that the Walmart up there also closed at 11pm. I haven't found any Walmart across the U.S. that has reopened 24-hours.

We also found out our favorite 24-hour diner, right off the main interstate highway, also closes at 10pm now. :sad1: Most 24-hour stores (except pharmacies,) may have gone the way of the dinosaur. 🦖

Check to make sure they didn’t relocate the smoked salmon to a different area of the refrigerated section. Same thing happened to me on two consecutive trips. Couldn’t find it in its usual spot. My local Aldi used to keep the smoked salmon close to the fresh beef/chicken/pork section. They’ve since moved it to another area near the cheese/hummus section. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Oh, I did every time (and asked) - it's my go to lunch now, so unlike my spouse (who never asks employees), I always do...especially if they have some in the back:)...and I did finally get some this time (although, of course, then I didn't get fresh salmon b/c apparently you can only have one type in store at a time:))...

But yes, the frequent moving of product does make things harder to find, so I never send my spouse to Aldi's for what I want, b/c he'll never ask:)...

The last similar thread I'd read I stated my local Walmart was empty shelves everywhere but that is normal. That store has been that way since I moved back to my home town 6 years ago. My one grocery store was always fully stocked, it's just that your grocery order is average 75-125% higher than shopping at Walmart. I had been to my old stomping grounds (I use to live smack in the middle of Walmarts all roughly 35 miles away to the north, south, east, and west with the south being where I am now.) and all those stores were fully stocked at the time.

It has since changed. There are empty shelves everywhere all over western PA in Walmarts and grocery stores. Most of it is not stuff that I buy. Even potato chip aisles have giant holes in the racks. There's lots of taco shells, but no full kits. A lot of emptiness on that shelf. Pasta aisles are fading again. I don't buy a lot of frozen foods but I see a lot of emptiness in the freezers as I walk past. Walmart's produce sections are very empty, not so much the grocery stores. Still doing well with produce at the actual grocers, which I don't buy produce or meat at Wallyworld.

Meat coolers are still full, but going up in price. Ground meat is still sitting at $5.99 which is what it's been here for many many years. Chuck roast however, which should be fairly cheap is up to $7.99. Pork chops and roasts are going up but not bacon. Bacon is around $6-8/package (most are 12 ounce now) which it has been for many many years.
This is what I’m noting on my end. Pork prices are down (center cut chops 2.99/lb); beef and lamb prices about right for this time of the year ( NY strip steaks 11.00/lb, stew meat 5.00@lb.), fish and seafood, a small upward price change, but poultry prices are just stupid. For the past 3-4 weeks, frozen whole turkey is holding at $1.99 @ lb. which is a 50+ increase from last year’s high of .89 per pound. I found Target selling Butterballs at .89 @ pound but am bypassing as I don’t like the salty and mushy taste of their birds; DGD is unhappy but unless something drastic happens there will be no turkey on this table.

Went to Aldis a couple of days ago, and saw more holes there than ever before. Things like canned fruit, cream of mushroom soup, and dish soap were gone or had very small amounts.

I've already decided to make my Christmas baking list and buy everything I need asap. Most of it is not expensive, and will keep for quite a while.

I also just looked at a Meijer ad for next week, and ugh. Sale prices are much higher than normal (buy one, get one 30% off on some things) and was not impressed with what was being offered. Makes it pretty obvious they are struggling to get large quantities of product.

You know what is hard to find here (NE Ohio)?? Half & half creamer! There are flavored varieties, but most of the shelf space for plain old half & half has been almost empty this past month. Plenty of milk and other dairy products so it seems weird to me!

In western PA now, too! I had to go to 3 different stores yesterday to find some!

I have not been able to find Oikos strawberry Greek yogurt for months now. They have other flavors, just not strawberry.

And I noticed that the opened cases they had behind were all turned sideways, so the product was spread out more along the shelves. For instance, the short side of a rectangular case may have 6 cans across, and the long side has 9 cans. Whereas before, the shelves used to house two cases side by side, so 12 cans across altogether, the shelves now have 18 cans across of an item.

i noticed this at my local walmart as well. i also noticed that the tops of the shelves where they tend to store the flats to back fill-almost all were very low or empty.

the holiday section looks similar to when it's the week AFTER christmas-very little paper, cards, boxes, smaller decor, and it's not like they seem to expect more-they've designated a MUCH smaller area this year (and the public area where you can see the boxed christmas trees and stuff to back fill the holiday aisles are at about 25% of normal). only a handful of women's holiday fleece items left on the racks, no mens/juniors. next to no holiday themed fleece throws. did manage to find a couple of off brand electric heated throws (noticed they had less than a dozen heated blankets of any type-including normal bedding). went ahead a grabbed a couple rolls of wrap/box of cards b/c i seriously doubt they will have any within a week or so.

Wow. Things change quickly. Today TP and PT were very low at BJs. One big box of Fancy Feast cat food. Very strange. At Tops, several areas were low, though some items were being restocked when we were there.

My store has had to put limits on cat litter now. No good sales on dishwasher packets so I paid full price for the first time in years and still had to switch brands. Still getting huuuge trucks emptying the warehouses. still not getting any of what I'm declaring the hot toys of the year. I just know what they are by the number of people calling and asking about them.

Having trouble getting hubby's skyr yogurt. Grrrr, he needs it for his stomach and he's picky.

Are people aware that Walmart hasn't re-opened to 24-hours?

We were down at the Jersey Shore a few weeks ago. We don't really have Walmart in Manhattan. Prices are so much cheaper there than in any Manhattan supermarket. One can of chick peas is about $0.59. Whereas in Manhattan, it's $2.29. So, usually on our trips back, we prefer to drive while we are still alert and awake. :hyper: And make a very last stop at Walmart before crossing the border to Manhattan - usually at about 11pm or later.

We happen to get there at 10:30-ish and 5 minutes into shopping came the announcement that Walmart was closing a 11pm. :eek: :faint: Walmart has never fully re-opened to 24 hours since the pandemic. :headache:

It never occurred to us that they hadn't gone back to "normal." We were running around like that supermarket game show, trying to fill up the cart as quickly as possible in the time allowed.
flaminghead-runner.gif

We didn't get everything we needed. (And this before learning about the supply chain issues.) So, when we went to see the Autumn foliage, a couple days ago, I Googled and learned that the Walmart up there also closed at 11pm. I haven't found any Walmart across the U.S. that has reopened 24-hours.

We also found out our favorite 24-hour diner, right off the main interstate highway, also closes at 10pm now. :sad1: Most 24-hour stores (except pharmacies,) may have gone the way of the dinosaur. 🦖
Dang your post made me think about that, hadn't even dawned on me but you're right 11pm close.

Bourbon running low. So we went ahead and picked up a bottle for Christmas Eve. Walmart had Christmas fully set and it's already been somewhat wiped. So again, went ahead and bought Christmas lights for the tree and gift bags vs. waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!