April 29, 2012 ~ Aloha! ~ Inagural Wonder to Hawaii-Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused3

After 33 years with his company and only 5 years away from early retirement with no penalty my dh was let go from his job ...."downsizing"....:sad2:

Thankfully they offered him a 2 year severance package with full pay, benefits and 50% off all services (he worked for a cable/cell phone company)

We thought about whether we should continue on to do the trip... but only for a second... Since it is paid for and all planned, we will go ahead with it as scheduled.

The entire thing is unnerving... never thought this would happen......and I think I am still in shock.:scared1:

Just needed to share

Denise

I am so sorry, Denise, that your family is going through this hard time. The job market has picked up and I pray, that your family finds something quick. Hugs! :grouphug:

I don't know how to think as a person with millions...anyway nothing to worry about I didn't win LOL.

My DH said we will try to keep a secret as long as we can :) maybe till we get to LA, not sure his idea will work out.

Thank you, Lexa. BTW, I haven't told my daughter about the Vaca., either. :laughing:

My DH is in charge too. I am so delighted that he likes to cruise on Disney and takes me with him that I don't care where we go. I post on DIS and get info but he makes the decisions. Does that make me his "arm candy" or "trophy wife" ? :rotfl::lmao::laughing::rotfl2:

63 years old and married 43 years to the same guy! Not too shabby and great to hear him call me a "cute chick" :lovestruc:love:

. Jan & Tom
Kana & Koma
. . :earsgirl::earsboy: . .

Ahhhhhh, God bless your union! :love:

Thanks, I have this covered.

Thanks. I figured that my name would be provide a challenge.

I came home from work feeling absolutely awful. Graham keeps telling me that it is better to be sick now then in 4 weeks time, but I still don't like it. I will work through my PM inbox tomorrow. I am hoping that I will feel better after a good sleep.

Corinna

Feel better, soon

My DW and I have been married for 52 years. We are both 73 years old. (Feel like a couple of kids though.) I took early retirement from my company in 2001 after 40 years. I then went back as a consultant for 5 years in 2006. Three sons, 7 grand kids, 6 great grand kids (the youngest 5 months old) This is our 11th trip on DCL and we are looking forward to many more. See you all on the cruise.

:flower3:Best Wishes to you, too.:flower3:

MermaidLoving and Mrs. Mork - best wishes for the complete recovery of your loved ones. Thank goodness you have this cruise to look forward to! I hope it's all smooth sailing for you from here.

DH is home from skiing, all in one piece. I can breathe again:)

It's spritzing snow this morning, here in upstate New York.

Can't find my 'to do' list I created of things that must be done before this cruise:confused: Of course, once I write it down, it disappears from my memory bank, so i'm in trouble now, trying to create it.

Happy Saturday, all!

Thank you so very much! Just like everyone else, we are looking forward to this trip. But I must admit, with everything that is happening I am getting a bit anxious, the trip is creeping up on me. :scared:

Prayers to everyone that needs them. I too have been having more eye problems and go back to the neurologist next week. If I can't take this cruise I will be so so upset but if things are not worse I can deal with it and being with nice people on the cruise will be a big help.

Speaking of husbands I too have a Disney fan. He puts up with all my Disney antiics ( and now my health problems) and has the patience of a saint. This cruise we will celebrate our 45th anniversary. We went to Oahu 45 years ago ( June 24) on our honeymoon. Anxious to see how it has changed.

Going to see the big too do for the Fantasy today at the port. They expect thousands of people .They will close Jetty Parkk when it is full and then shuttle people from outer lots. We plan on going early to get into the park and get a good parking space. LOL

Thank you and I hope all gets better with your eye problems :sad1:. Really hoping that you are able to join all of us and not have to cancel! Sending prayers and good vibes/energy

DH had quintuple (5) ByPass surgery in 2009. No heart attack, no shortness of breath, no fatigue, no chest or jaw pain. He even did well on the stress test. We ride bicycles 15 miles with no trouble and he walks 1.25 miles to work and home each day.

But they discovered that he had 5 narrow spaces and told him that he is the person who would be living his normal life and keel over dead.

He went through the surgery well. We call his scars "war paint." He is on medications for blood pressure and cholesterol. We still ride 15 miles easily and will do a bicycle excursion at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. He walks to and from work and his 2 year stress test was good.

We are thankful for the wonderful care he recieved.

Jan/Kana

OMG, Jan, you are describing our situation! It's so scary, he is feeling so confused, angry and scared and he has every right to feel that way. :sad1:

I am so happy that your husband is doing better and that his operation worked out! :flower3:

52 years! :love: Congratulations! We hope you will join us at the Geezer Meet! We too feel like a couple of kids, more so now that we are retired and get to play more. :yay:

Dennis was the same with his first bypass in 1997. No symptoms, treadmill was fine. This time he had a heart attack with the chest pain, etc. My mom had classic chest/arm pain, nausea and sweating. She lives in an assisted living facility and they called me, I told them to call 911 and within 1.5 hours she had stents in place. No delay anywhere and because of the quick response of EMTs and hospital she had very little heart damage even though she was having a "massive" heart attack. We are so impressed with the International Heart Institute here. Amazing cardiac team. Anyway, she is 86 years old and all tuned up for another 86 now. This was the first time since 1957 that she had been in a hospital and she only stayed 2 nights!! :worship:

Wowww, that is a great turn around (age 86, no incident since 1957 and only 2 days in hospital) God bless! Thank God :flower3:

After a few rounds furloughs of lay-offs in our newspaper division (with some pretty crappy severances) our company just offered some early retirement 'buy outs' to newspaper and broadcast employees. Package is one year full pay and full benefits...I qualified and I'm jumping at it! Ran the numbers and for me, and while the figures aren't scary, I will have to come up with a bit of additional income for a while.

My plan is to give myself a six week 'sabatical', to do some house puttering and take this wonderful cruise. THEN, refreshed and relaxed I'll start creating the next stage of life! (Actually have a neighbor with a salon and gift shop who is interested in selling some of my crafts there...a very interesting possibility!) And then....there's always moving to FL and going to work for DCL booking cruises...part time...so I can TAKE some cruises :lmao:

With his lovely 2 year severance, don't be afraid to think 'outside of the box' for creating the next stage of your lives!

Jackie/Keakuki

JAckie, what a blessing, that sounds great :cheer2:! Good Luck in your new adventure. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Health issues and medical procedures can be daunting....especially if it involves your heart. My husband had the same thing 12 years ago. I worry about him everyday. Fortunately we have a good GP that takes care of his maintenance with this condition. You will have to do that too with your doctor. Just be thankful that you found it in time and fixed it and now can maintain and manage it. It is hugely scary. It can change your perspective. But you can still live a good long life with it. Starting with this cruise!!!!

Thank you!

So happy that your husband has been doing well, it's really great to read all these positive outcomes. Blessings to you guys and many, many, many more years of life! :flower3:

Hi Cindy. Not to overburdon you, but I have you signed up for the champagne girls as a taster. DCL will not let me collect cash at the door as I had planned. So I must recieve payment in advance or I cannot let you attend. I'm sorry, it's not my doing. But I have to follow the rules. Could you let me know if you're still interested in attending? If so, I need to receive $10 from you either by paypal or check. If you PM me and let me know what you want to do, I can further advise you.

Think of this time with your husband as a new beginning. And I hope that his health is restored and that he's fine real soon.

No burden at all, and yes of course I still am moving forward with the Champagne Girls Event, I sooooooo very much needed, now more than ever! :rotfl:

Send me the address to paypal it! :woohoo:

My, we are having a rather tough time with our Dis cruisers health and retirement issues. Prayers and pixie dust for all who are facing Life struggles.....

Let us hope this cruise can be a new beginning, a healing, a reward or a celebration. (Three years cancer free for my DH). We are newlyweds, only 34 years......Based on the numbers I saw posted, we have some impressive shoes to fill.

Speaking of numbers, is everyone still here? That means none of us won the lotto.......We are not one of the 44 states that could play...Oh well...

Work beckons today so no time to play!

(I have such neat ideas for the Easter Eggs this year.....Let us suggest they will be an Aloha theme).

Thank You! Congrats on DH"s Cancer Free :). Still here did not win, as a matter fact only hit two numbers correctly from the set of twenty played, :sad2:. Have fun wit your Easter event!

And OMG congrats on your 34 years. If you guys are newlyweds, I wonder what category are we in with our 18 years celebration (15 married), I guess Guppies! LOL

Me and DH John are working on our 22nd year together. April 29th is 22 years since first date and Sept 29th is 22 years since our wedding. We didn't wait long in between each. We both knew right away. We were older and more experienced. I was 33 and he was 39. We started late.

Congrats! There will be so many anniversary celebrations in this ship! Really nice to read! Who ever said, divorce was on an up and up, did not come across this group. I guess they can't survey this group, we are all too busy traveling and enjoying life :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter