• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AP renewal question

CMouser

Mouseketeer
We have dvc gold passes that expire every year in late July (we received the 13 month ticket a few years back) We always travel in mid June and mid November . We have been renewing every time but I’m not sure if we would be better off just buying new when we need it. I have seen different arguments for both ways but I’m confused 🤔. Thanks!

When I have had at least 2 months in between trips, I don’t renew and just buy new,

With the way my travel has been, I have been able to stretch 3 APs to cover 5 years of trips.

For example, my AP expired in early August, but I bought new in October instead of renewing so my late August 2020 trip would be covered,

Next year, I will not renew in beginning of October, but buy new in December. Because I just retired and will be going more often, this pattern may be coming to an end. But it has worked well,

In your case, if you can vary a trip by one week, you could make it work. For example, buy new in November 2020 and cover that trip and June 2021, and the go one week earlier in November 2021 on this same pass.

Then you wouldn’t need a new one until June 2022.

APs don't become active until you activate them at the park. Doesn't matter when you purchase them. Your 12 or 13 months don't start until you activate them. Based on recent history of the last few years, the only thing that happens when you wait on renewing your AP is the price goes up.

APs don't become active until you activate them at the park. Doesn't matter when you purchase them. Your 12 or 13 months don't start until you activate them. Based on recent history of the last few years, the only thing that happens when you wait on renewing your AP is the price goes up.
Actually activating is slightly different. You buy an AP which is actually a voucher. You got to GS/ticketing to activate the ticket (convert the voucher to a ticket). The expiration date is then exactly one year from the date of first use (not activation), so you could activate then not use that day thus the countdown clock doesn’t start yet.

To the OP the vouchers never expire. The date in MDE is a placeholder but in reality they don’t expire. So you could buy new at today’s price and hold off on using them until need be. The only caveat is if they add any new parks (unlikely even though we would all love to see a new park, lol) your vouchers would only get you into the parks that existed at the time of purchase. A big reason not to renew is if by buying new two trips would now be covered by the AP where renewing would only cover one of the trips, and you plan on dropping the AP at some point possibly. If you plan on being always an AP holder than you should just renew.

I have a question if you have a AP voucher tied to your account can you still make FP at 60 days even if you haven't activated your AP yet?

A renewal is different than purchasing new. It continues from the original date.I have a current AP and it expires Oct 6, 2020. If I want to renew it, it is less expensive than a new one, but it will have the same start date...October 6th.

When you buy a voucher, it is a new AP. Those don’t start until activated

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter