AP prices rise again

Let's put this in perspective...

A 7 day Park Hopper, 1 person, with TAX = 574.42, with an APR 20 2020 start date...
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/admission/tickets/theme-parks-with-park-hopper/
DVC GOLD AP prices - WITH TAX (see enclosure)
http://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices/#fourView attachment 410050

So here is the deal: 2 people once per year - let's calculate the Delta:

632.61x2 - 574.42x2 = 116.38. ONCE per year? GP Renewal is not worth it. Buy Park Hopper Tickets.

Now, let's do 2 people, TWICE per year:

632.61x2 - 574.42x4 = 1265.22- 2297.68 = -1032.46. GP Renewal saves $1032.46

Now, that's just a Gold AP RENEWAL. But the methodology can be applied to all AP vs PH calculations. Situation pretty much remains the same: As DVC Members, we need to go twice per year to secure significant savings with an AP.

YOUR family can run the same calculation, based on your family's situation. But DO include TAX. The larger the principle? The larger the TAX.

That's all good and everything, but it still doesn't make me feel any better about the ridiculous increase. I get SOME increase, but these increases are above and beyond reason.

Why the heck are they still running promotions like Free Dining and such if they're apparently so hard up for cash?

I was about to purchase the ap for my next trip in Feb 2020 with my son to take advantage of the memory maker and possibly squeeze in a trip to F&W in the fall. That second trip was never guaranteed though. Now the difference between my 7 day park hopper and gold ap is $170 - approximately the price of the memory maker. I don't know if its worth it now. I'm not working with a lot of money to spare. The photopass photographers will take photos with our camera. I'm not usually concerned about photos, but he lives in San Diego now and I only see him once or twice a year.

ETA: Yikes! It's actually $221 difference, I had factored in the tax on the park hoppers but not the AP. I'm thinking no F&W next year. Maybe rent out those extra points.

Last edited:

If you plan on renewing a Universal AP, you might want to get on that. I'd expect universal to follow suit, maybe not to such a degree, but something none the less.

Actually? CHEERING.

Oh yes, as Gold APs, we are affected. But we have also been poking WDW to RAISE ADMITTANCE PRICES, in order to knock down Park Overcrowding.

WDW is saturated. RAISE THE PRICE, until CROWDS GO DOWN. Just us? We'll pay it.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Actually? CHEERING.

Oh yes, as Gold APs, we are affected. But we have also been poking WDW to RAISE ADMITTANCE PRICES, in order to knock down Park Overcrowding.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

I'll cheer when Disney does away with Free Dining and other ridiculous promotions.

The toothpaste is out of the tube when you increase prices to control crowds...there's no going back from that.

You cut back/end promotions...you can always bring them back if need be.

I'll cheer when Disney does away with Free Dining and other ridiculous promotions.

The toothpaste is out of the tube when you increase prices to control crowds...there's no going back from that.

The UK tix & promotions are not justifiable either. It’s like they expect everyone else to subsidize the deals they releases for tix/hotels so they can cash in x2 in park spending etc. Without DVC we would be done with WDW. As is we might get WP tix next time only and visit USO instead.

We just ordered hopper tickets for son and family, and we still think we are getting a bargain on our Platinum tickets renewal with DVC. The sudden large increase in price is horrible, I agree with that. I am not going to stop going to WDW because of it.

I agree with the toothpaste comment. Make so much sense. When the next economic turn down hits they will have go back to using the 40% discount and such off of rooms. But when those rooms are at $400 plus, during an economic turn down, will people still be able to afford that price? Will they have to offer 65% off?

The UK tix & promotions are not justifiable either. It’s like they expect everyone else to subsidize the deals they releases for tix/hotels so they can cash in x2 in park spending etc. Without DVC we would be done with WDW. As is we might get WP tix next time only and visit USO instead.
The water parks are awesome. I looooovvvvveeee Typhoon Lagoon. I just wonder if they will ever do away with the water park AP.

The water parks are awesome. I looooovvvvveeee Typhoon Lagoon. I just wonder if they will ever do away with the water park AP.
We’ve been to BB twice but never TK! Going to an H2O Glo in Aug for my boys’ 10th birthday!

The increase really wasn't unexpected, especially when you look at DVC Room availability this year. The parks and resorts will be packed for Galaxy's Edge and the 50th anniversary.

The increase really wasn't unexpected, especially when you look at DVC Room availability this year. The parks and resorts will be packed for Galaxy's Edge and the 50th anniversary.
So very true. But what about in five, ten years when the economy is in the tank? Would they actually offer 65-75% off of rooms? Wouldn't that devalue the brand? Would people still pay a rack rate of $400-$500 at a moderate in order to get free dining? Just makes me wonder how they will revert back from this when times get bad.

I don't think anyone is surprised that there was an increase. It's the level of increase that has most folks taken aback, however.

I get the toothpaste out of the tube theory, but how heroic would it be if Disney was experiencing some pain in attendance during a recession and did cut the prices back? I don't think that hurts the brand at all; someone's bonus? maybe, but not the brand.

So very true. But what about in five, ten years when the economy is in the tank? Would they actually offer 65-75% off of rooms? Wouldn't that devalue the brand? Would people still pay a rack rate of $400-$500 at a moderate in order to get free dining? Just makes me wonder how they will revert back from this when times get bad.
Disney has handled some very tough times in the past.
Probably darker than they will ever see again.

The Gas crisis in the late 70s almost destroyed them. At that point in time it was only MK, so Disney was a stop on a trip, not a trip in itself. And people were not driving trips like that only being able to get gas every other day.
2008 They shut down construction of the Classic Years part of Pop Century - Now Art of Animation. And reportedly even shut down entire wings of hotels.
(Read the book RealityLand for a great hisotry)

The discount on Rooms around 2009 and 2010 was a lot bigger than it is now. I remember 2010 and getting 40 percent off of the Polynesian - now its more like 25.

They will adjust the rates as needed.

When Michael Eisner took over Disney had a market cap of less than 3 billion dollar. That is about 7 Bil in todays dollars. Could you imagine if MK, the monorail resorts and Epcot could be bought today for 7 Billion? Jeff Bezos would buy it with his pocket change before you finished reading this!

The brand survived all of this. it would hurt salaries, bonuses, shareholders, but not the brand.

People will adore Snow white, irregardless of how much a hotel room gets discounted.

Actually? CHEERING.

and how has this been working out? Still crowded as far as I know.... But what ever floats your boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter