Anyway to avoid credit card hold of 100$?

If you're going to the front desk to remove the CC, why bother with online check-in? Just do traditional check-in and don't add a card.
We definitely wanna keep the online check in. I go to the front desk anyway because it's pop century and it smells amazing :) But yes I could remove the card all together as well.

I thought the same thing, but I guess I can see why it may be an issue for some. It seems to be common practice for hotels to put a hold on credit cards when you check in, at least it has been in my experience. I don’t think I’ve hardly been to a hotel that hasn’t put a $100-$200 hold on my card, and I honestly just assumed that Disney always did as well. I didn’t even realize this was a new change until I saw it here on the DIS.
This is new to me. We stay in hotels in Minneapolis about once every month or 2 and I've never had more than the exact amount of the hotel stay come off of my card. I DO usually use hotels.com so maybe that avoids the hold? I'm not sure how that all works but aside from gas stations (which very rarely in my city have a hold that I ever see) this will be my first experience with the hold.

This is new to me. We stay in hotels in Minneapolis about once every month or 2 and I've never had more than the exact amount of the hotel stay come off of my card. I DO usually use hotels.com so maybe that avoids the hold? I'm not sure how that all works but aside from gas stations (which very rarely in my city have a hold that I ever see) this will be my first experience with the hold.
Interesting. I’m in Canada and most of my hotel stays are here in BC so maybe that’s the difference? :confused3 We travel lots for our kids’s sports so a combo of chain hotels and privately owned hotels. I’m definitely informed of a hold on my card at check in more often than not so I just assumed it’s the norm at most hotels. I also use hotels.com a lot and that doesn’t seem to affect a hold or no hold. They still typically ask at check in for a cc to be on file ‘for incidentals’ and let me know there will be a hold.

One thing to remember that even if you only have the hold it will release on day 5 and then a new one will be placed on day 6. So I would just skip online check in if you don’t want it.

I have an account at my bank that I use only for vacations. I just transfer money into it whenever I want and then use that card when I'm traveling. If you don't use credit cards, I would consider this option instead of using cash in the park. You could link a card associated to your travel account to your MB and be able to charge or use the card for Mobile Ordering in the app.
👍🏻

CapitalOne 360 offers a no minimum checking account with debit card access. Set one up, deposit $100+ in it and provide that debit card for online check in. No worries about Disney somehow messing up your main checking account that you use for your household expenses.

We budget for Disney without charging or borrowing a dime, so yes anything over what we budget is important for us to keep track of.
The only thing that I was implying with my comment about traveling to Disney is that life is full of unexpected expenses and you need to be prepared to handle what comes along. Many things can happen when traveling. We were at Disney when our flight got cancelled and we couldn't get another one for two days. Luggage can be lost, medical emergencies can happen, etc. I am a mom and a grandma and I have seen a lot of things, and most of the time everything goes to plan. But sometimes it doesn't.

I hope you have a great trip and nothing "expensive" happens. :)

Some people may not be able to use credit cards due to someone stealing their identity. They may only have a checking account and cash to work with.
Now, when I go to WDW, I put all the money that I am allowing myself to spend on gift cards. I keep the receipts and carefully track how much I have left so I know how crazy or reserved I can be each day. I do not want to use credit cards at all while I am on a trip in case I have to use those for an emergency.

Yes it is wrong because you don't know their situation and it's wrong to judge anyone.
Who in the world made the rule that you can't judge anyone? We all judge, even when we are trying not to. You ask such a question, some people are going to raise eyebrows. We are all human beings. Some are more upfront than others. So yes, judge away at me and everyone else because that is just how people are programmed. Anyone who says they don't judge, well I simply don't trust those people.

We budget for Disney without charging or borrowing a dime, so yes anything over what we budget is important for us to keep track of. I like to know where every penny is and what to expect when we come home. I've seen many that are just shocked that Disney has "charged them" ridiculous amounts without reason (I am 10000% sure these claims are BS) but I wasn't sure if there was any way shape or form that aside from TRASHING our hotel room or charging with magic bands, that that 100$ could be exceeded.

I don't remember seeing reports of exorbitant charges appearing, but I HAVE seen reports of the hold remaining on the account on top of valid charges, and taking way longer than expected to fall off. That's where I can see people being upset, when money is tied up way beyond when it should be.

Some people may not be able to use credit cards due to someone stealing their identity. They may only have a checking account and cash to work with.
Now, when I go to WDW, I put all the money that I am allowing myself to spend on gift cards. I keep the receipts and carefully track how much I have left so I know how crazy or reserved I can be each day. I do not want to use credit cards at all while I am on a trip in case I have to use those for an emergency.
Having your identity stolen doesn't prevent you from using credit cards. I've had it happen three times, its a PIA, but I still use my credit cards fine. Credit cards are easier to use on vacation because if they get fraudulent charges they are easier to resolve than a debit card tied to your bank account.

OP, I don't think you should do online check in. This way you won't have to put your card on file and they won't be able to put the $100 on your account. With your length of stay there would be two $100 holds.

I'm just grossly irresponsible and have destroyed my credit at a very early age so while trying to rebuild it we got rid of the cards and now living without them is easier for me to control my spending.

Just curious why you care about keeping online check in if you're going to the front desk anyway?
Because 4 trips in a row now we have done online check in and gotten our room number and we get to the room and the doors won't open. Twice it was a magic band issue and we needed new ones issued, and twice it was due to "giving" us the wrong room assignment. So we walked all the way to our room, only to have to turn around and go back to the front desk. I stop at the front desk every single time now to make sure my information is right, grab maps, buttons, we do a little routine for our daughter who loves seeing the concierge and then I have piece of mind that I can head off to the parks and everything is fine. We just like the process of actually seeing the staff and speaking to a person directly.

One thing to remember that even if you only have the hold it will release on day 5 and then a new one will be placed on day 6. So I would just skip online check in if you don’t want it.
I don't know why I'm unable to wrap my brain around this. Say I have 1000$ on check in day, I will see a 100$ charge from Disney making my balance (my bank does actual balance and available balance so it'll tell me I may have 1000 but due to pending charges I can only SPEND 900) 900$. Then on day 5 this goes away, my balance goes back up to 1000$, then on day 6 the same thing happens until it falls off at the end of the trip? That's how it works right? I literally have stayed in a hotel once a month for over 6 years and never had a dime more than the hotel stay show up on my bank statement so I swear I'm not just stupid, this just literally doesn't make sense to me.

Because 4 trips in a row now we have done online check in and gotten our room number and we get to the room and the doors won't open. Twice it was a magic band issue and we needed new ones issued, and twice it was due to "giving" us the wrong room assignment. So we walked all the way to our room, only to have to turn around and go back to the front desk. I stop at the front desk every single time now to make sure my information is right, grab maps, buttons, we do a little routine for our daughter who loves seeing the concierge and then I have piece of mind that I can head off to the parks and everything is fine. We just like the process of actually seeing the staff and speaking to a person directly.
I can understand doing that. It’s all a part of your Disney experience. UY why bother with online check in if that’s the case?

How frustrating! It sounds like you're due for some good luck.

I might just not be understand though. If you've had bad luck and plan on visiting the front desk anyway, why not leave the CC off your account in the first place, and not do online check-in at all?

I appreciate everyone's advice. Every time I tried to research this to get a solid answer I would find 5 bad experiences of excess charges for ever 1 story of successful holds. I'll be checking my account daily even though we're not using it while on vaca, and I guess if I see anything in excess of 100$ I will head to the front desk? I'll have a minimum of 500$ in the account for cushion, emergencies, and life in general but that doesn't mean I want it to all disappear for a stressful few days while trying to enjoy my vacation. I should be ok, and in 57 days I'll let you all know how it goes!

How frustrating! It sounds like you're due for some good luck.

I might just not be understand though. If you've had bad luck and plan on visiting the front desk anyway, why not leave the CC off your account in the first place, and not do online check-in at all?
Is there any way of getting a room early if we DON'T do online check in? We arrive around 1-2pm and are HOPING for an early check in. Totally fine if we don't, but we've been lucky in the past so we were going to try again. If we arrive at 1 and go to the front desk is it the same chance of our room being ready as if we did online check in?

I can understand doing that. It’s all a part of your Disney experience. UY why bother with online check in if that’s the case?
Also can we select room preferences if we don't do online check in? I honestly just see it pop up on MDE so I answer the questions and submit. I don't know how to NOT do online check in. I just follow the prompts and they say "your preferences are set, see you on Sep 15th" or whatever

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter