Anyway to avoid credit card hold of 100$?

Shelby Schroepfer

*Never Grow Up*
Ok I just read that if we do online check in we WILL have to secure the room with a card and we WILL have to have the 100$ hold. First, is this true? Second, if I go down to the front desk and say we do NOT want to use our magic bands to charge to the room at any point, will I ONLY have the 100$ hold throughout our stay? I only have debit cards (credit cards are not an option for our family) and I need to know exactly how much is "coming out" of my account while I'm on vacation as bills will still be auto paid out of that same account. We normally only spend gift cards or our vacation cash but I do understand the need for a hold, I just want to be able to control the hold at ONLY 100$. Thanks for any help!!

Yes it is true that when you use Online Check-in that a Credit card is required to be provided to complete the process.

Disney does not require you to have a Credit card on file at the resort. Once you get to the resort stop by the front desk and remove your credit card. You will not be able to use your MBs for charging but they will work for everything else. Another way is to not share your PIN that you set in your MDE account with anyone in your group / family.

Any additional $100 holds are only put on your folio when you actually purchase something and charge it to the room or for other things like personal dining.

Dave

Last edited:
If you pay in full before you check in and ask them to remove your charging privileges from your MB, then you will not have the $100 hold on your card.
In order to do online check in, you have to have a card on file. You can go to the front desk at arrival and have it removed, but the first $100 hold will have already been put on your account by that time.

In order to do online check in, you have to have a card on file. You can go to the front desk at arrival and have it removed, but the first $100 hold will have already been put on your account by that time.
But they would reverse the hold right away. I suppose you could delete the credit card from your profile before you arrive.

Disney may reverse the hold right away, but that doesn't mean the OP's bank will release it right away.
True, but it seems as if the concern was whether or not the hold would remain for the entire stay.

They charged my card the $100 about 4AM on the day we were going to check in.

But they would reverse the hold right away. I suppose you could delete the credit card from your profile before you arrive.

Depends on the bank, the hold on our Amex did not drop off for 5 days after check out.

True, but it seems as if the concern was whether or not the hold would remain for the entire stay.

Debit cards also work differently than credit holds are very slow to come off.

Is is wrong to think that if you are going to Disney World you should be financially able to handle a temporary hold of $100?
If you are at the end of a pay period (a day or two until your pay day) and your pay check goes to your bank account that has the debit card, yeah, a temporary hold of $100 might be tough to manage.

Is is wrong to think that if you are going to Disney World you should be financially able to handle a temporary hold of $100?
I thought the same thing, but I guess I can see why it may be an issue for some. It seems to be common practice for hotels to put a hold on credit cards when you check in, at least it has been in my experience. I don’t think I’ve hardly been to a hotel that hasn’t put a $100-$200 hold on my card, and I honestly just assumed that Disney always did as well. I didn’t even realize this was a new change until I saw it here on the DIS.

I don't think it is wrong to think that but not my place to judge, we don't know what goes on in other people's lives but I do believe that if you work hard and pay your bills that you should take vacation!

On the other hand our party had huge issues with the new hold system this past trip, causing 2 of the 3 rooms to have their credit cards flagged as fraud for small incremental holds, and then no charge (as charges were paid off with gifts cards).

If you are at the end of a pay period (a day or two until your pay day) and your pay check goes to your bank account that has the debit card, yeah, a temporary hold of $100 might be tough to manage.

Yep, because you don't know another person's circumstances.

Some people go to Disney on every scrap of discretionary money they have. That's what they scrimp and save for, and when they arrive every dollar is carefully accounted for. Someone who doesn't know about the hold may have enough budgeted to cover their ACTUAL spending but not necessarily have the funds available to cover that PLUS a hold charge that takes a while to drop off.

I had this happen recently when I made the mistake of using my debit card as debit and not credit at a gas station. They placed a $100 hold on my account (for $15 worth of gas). The hold was no big deal, but the actual cost of gas cleared my account FOUR days before the hold finally cleared. I had enough in my account to cover the hold PLUS my regular spending, but I have been through periods of my life where holding $100 on my account could have easily caused something to bounce or prevent me from paying for something I needed if it didn't fall off in a timely manner.

All that is to say, you don't know what someone else has going on, it's better to avoid assumptions.

I have an account at my bank that I use only for vacations. I just transfer money into it whenever I want and then use that card when I'm traveling. If you don't use credit cards, I would consider this option instead of using cash in the park. You could link a card associated to your travel account to your MB and be able to charge or use the card for Mobile Ordering in the app.

We budget for Disney without charging or borrowing a dime, so yes anything over what we budget is important for us to keep track of. I like to know where every penny is and what to expect when we come home. I've seen many that are just shocked that Disney has "charged them" ridiculous amounts without reason (I am 10000% sure these claims are BS) but I wasn't sure if there was any way shape or form that aside from TRASHING our hotel room or charging with magic bands, that that 100$ could be exceeded.

I don't think it is wrong to think that but not my place to judge, we don't know what goes on in other people's lives but I do believe that if you work hard and pay your bills that you should take vacation!

On the other hand our party had huge issues with the new hold system this past trip, causing 2 of the 3 rooms to have their credit cards flagged as fraud for small incremental holds, and then no charge (as charges were paid off with gifts cards).
This is all I'm worried about. We LIKED being able to charge to the band and pay off with our gift cards, which we purchased for this trip so we ONLY spend our budgeted amount, but it's just not feasible anymore with the new system. Not that I don't respect it or understand it, just want to be VERY clear so something like that doesn't happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter