Anyone NOT on free dining Aug. through Sept? I need your support.

We were at WDW in late August 2004 and again in late August 2005. We will be there again same time this year. There was no free dining promotion in 2004, and in 2005 we had a great rate at the Dolphin, so did not participate in the free dining promotion.

To us, the difference between dining in Aug. 04 and dining in Aug. 05 was stunning. In 04, we found the WS restaurants in Epcot to be relatively quiet and delightful. CM's had time to chat, tell the kids about their native country, teach them a couple of foreign phrases, etc. At Chefs de France, we walked in at 8:30 p.m. and the place was empty. At 9:00 p.m., the waitress set our boys up at their own table at the window so they could see the fireworks.

I compare that to 05. At Chefs de France, we must have waited 40 minutes or more to get in at 8:30 p.m., with an ADR. Without an ADR, we would not have gotten in at all. The maitre d' looked like he was so stressed out he wasn't sure where to turn next. The waiter was great but he didn't have a second to spare. The restaurant was absolutely jam-packed.

Same with Alfredo. The year before Cinza had been delightful with the boys. In 2005, waiters had no time to chat. Our order was messed up and one entree came out 15 minutes before the others. We were there late. At 9 p.m. Illuminations began and no one even looked up from their plates!

So, what are we doing this year? We decided to get the free dining plan. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I guess. We've made our ADRs -- as well as our peace with the situation. We know it will be incredibly hot and we know that dining in the Theme Park restaurants will be insane. That's August, these days.

On the plus side --- everybody is clamoring to get into the restaurants to stuff themselves on free dining, so the ride lines are relatively short.

And, I'm glad we're doing free dining this year. Given the changes to DDP for 07, we probably will take an AP or other room discount and pass on free dining it it's offered again. So, at least we'll have tried it once.

We're heading down in September and no dining plan here, either (off site timeshare owners).

No worries, ya hear? We were down last September, too, and like another poster, the only place we went where the service was iffy was LeCellier. We took that as a reason to try Jiko later in the week, which had very light crowds, and we've now found our new fav!!! See what poor service somewhere will do? You'll go find somewhere better...and that's good :)

I also don't think hordes and hordes of Disney goers know about the free DDP. I can tell you I'm the only one in my circle of friends and colleagues, as well as my own family, as well as my hubby's family who knew WDW was offering free DDP. I know two other families who are going mid September who didn't know about it. We're all Floridians, too, and within an hour or two of Orlando.

You're at Disney!!! You're going to have a blast whether you're eating steak at V&A or eating a Mickey ice cream bar or churro on a curb watching kids get their pictures with Pooh.

We went during free dining last year and had NO problems with level of service. In fact, we left an extra tip at all but one restaurant since we had very, very good service there.

I was surprised when I got back and read that people were complaining about poor service because I didn't see it. I guess I'll see how things go this year, but I'm not worried about it.

We went last year w/ the free dining plan and are also this year. What I noticed most from 2004-2005 was that the restraunts were more packed.. I did not notice any differenece at the levels of service though. Just make sure you have your reservations in place. Interesting thing happened last nite that we got a call from Disney last nite reminding us to make our reservations for dinner for our free dining as it will be busy.

Same boat. We are going next week- even worse in comparison to Sept. It'll prob be hot and crowded and horrible in terms of crowds. However, we're expecting the worst and it can't be as bad as Christmas-New Year's week or Labor Day vacation. Or maybe it will be- we'll find out.

We're also DVC members staying at AKL Concierge on points. Thank goodness it's concierge, therefore there's breakfast foods available and lunch if we're not able to find somewhere we like in the parks. We're also not planning to go to the park every single day. We scheduled two days to just simply enjoy the resort, unwind, swim, etc. Eh- it's Disney, can't be that bad. Luckily I made reservations as early as allowed and got all the restaurants I wanted at decent times.

I'm wondering if the service for pay out of pocket will be worse than the free dining plan. I thought that the service should actually be better because the tip is not included and the more they can entice you to eat, the better for the waiter/resses. It's all so confusing. After reading this post, I'm worried about the delays that will move dining back even later. I don't want to miss Illuminations!

Raina

My best friend is a waitress at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. She said that the CM's don't even think about who is or is not on the plan. They are supposed to treat everyone with the same courtesy. She laughed a little and said she was offended ;) that anyone would think a CM would be rude based on if they were on the Dining plan for free or if they paid for it. As far as her restaurant goes, they are concerned with everyone having a good time and making sure everyone gets the excellent service AP is known for known for!

A lot of the people who are on free dining are making up for it in merchandise purchases. I mean they aren't paying for food so they can afford to splurge other places. Disney is GENIUS that way huh? :wizard:

I wouldn't worry about bad service. It's not something Disney is known for...the CM's are so busy, regardless of Free DP or not, that they don't have time to pick and choose who they will be rude to! I'm sure your friends will have a GREAT time!!! :thumbsup2

I find it really sad that so many people think that 'free dining' means a decline in standards. I have never done free dining and probably never will. (Too good a deal with DDE!!) But when I visit during free dining I find no difference to the quality of service at all. I think some people need to lighten up and concentrate on their holiday, and not on what MIGHT happen.

DeterminedOne said:
We will be at Disney during free dining but are not using the free dining plan. We booked the Premium plan whereas meals are inclusive of the price paid for the package. Even though we have every single adr we wanted, I can't help but worry about the effects of free dining. I am most concerned about slow service and frazzled CM's. I feel like I am the only one worried about this because we are the only ones NOT on free dining. I need a hug. :scared:

Umm...I don't quite get the question. Why would those of us on the dining plan, regardless of it being "free" be any less concerned about "slow service and frazzled CM's". :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter