Anyone know why it's so busy right now?

Wow January crowds have been nuts. We will be there in 16 days, our week is Mardi Gras break and there is a Cheerleading thing going on. I wonder what crowd levels are going to actually be like? We were there for Thanksgiving this year and as we expected it was packed. We managed fine with a good plan and had an awesome time. Just curious how this trip is going to compare given recent CLs?

We were there early to mid Feb. last year, and it wasn't too bad. Weren't there for mardi gras, but we did have BTG's and lots of cheer groups.
We only saw 2 BTG;s in 10 days, and they were amazingly quiet. They were with an older lady who made them line up and be quiet before entering an attraction. I think if the groups use adults to make them mind, then we would not have the complaints we have. Maybe Disney is finally cracking down on some of the tour groups? We saw a lot of cheerleaders in huge groups, but we just turned around and went to another attraction. No way would we get into one of those lines.
The weather was great, and the groups weren't too bad. Crowds besides those 2 groups we mentioned were not too bad. But we are rope drop people , so we get a lot done early in the am. Hope this helps.

The groups were not a bother at all. I agree on them being short staffed!!! I HATED the QS procedure to order food. It should not take 30 mins to order and receive food at McDonalds quality. We did Columbia Harbor house day 1, it was terrible, terrible service, and even worse food. I read so much about this lobster roll and I didn't even finish it, so gross. Then at AK we did restaurantasoreass because the fam was complaining about flame tree and not wanting BBQ, freaking EVEN WORSE! I had a pathetic salad, took another 30 mins for some cold fries and nuggets. 1 order taker for 2 lines, and then 1 runner for 3 to 4 windows, ***? Food would just sit there for days on the counter, like I guess they were waiting for the whole order, but I asked several times if I could just have my nuggets because my kids were starving, and like 8 people behind me got theirs. I was pissed, they didn't seem to give a crap. Like in the moment, I didn't want to waste my time at guest relations complaining about it, but they should know that the service sucked. And if it's true about the ride tracks, is that why TSMM was over 2 hours every day? That's ridiculous, the ride isn't that great. If they had all 3 running I assume it would drop to less than an hour? So stupid.

The groups were not a bother at all. I agree on them being short staffed!!! I HATED the QS procedure to order food. It should not take 30 mins to order and receive food at McDonalds quality. We did Columbia Harbor house day 1, it was terrible, terrible service, and even worse food. I read so much about this lobster roll and I didn't even finish it, so gross. Then at AK we did restaurantasoreass because the fam was complaining about flame tree and not wanting BBQ, freaking EVEN WORSE! I had a pathetic salad, took another 30 mins for some cold fries and nuggets. 1 order taker for 2 lines, and then 1 runner for 3 to 4 windows, ***? Food would just sit there for days on the counter, like I guess they were waiting for the whole order, but I asked several times if I could just have my nuggets because my kids were starving, and like 8 people behind me got theirs. I was pissed, they didn't seem to give a crap. Like in the moment, I didn't want to waste my time at guest relations complaining about it, but they should know that the service sucked. And if it's true about the ride tracks, is that why TSMM was over 2 hours every day? That's ridiculous, the ride isn't that great. If they had all 3 running I assume it would drop to less than an hour? So stupid.
There is always one order taker for 2 lines.

The food issues are terrible, but in regards to TSMM, it's due to work for Toy Story Land, so it's not like they're doing it to save a buck like they are with reducing capacity for other rides mentioned in this thread.

I was there the week of Labor Day last year and I have to say, the crowds were awesome. I'm not sure if people canceling due to Irma had anything to do with it, but I certainly would go again during that time, hurricane or not.

I'm about to book for Labor Day week! Seems the best chance of the year for low crowds.

I'm about to book for Labor Day week! Seems the best chance of the year for low crowds.

Right after Labor Day is probably one of the slowest times of the year. All kids are back in school. It is more crowded than it used to be, but still very slow compared to the rest of the year/

Right after Labor Day is probably one of the slowest times of the year. All kids are back in school. It is more crowded than it used to be, but still very slow compared to the rest of the year/

We just booked 8th to 15th. Bring on the hurricanes!

Heard on the radio just now that certain schools in Orlando (or nearby?) are closed tomorrow, due to a terrible flu outbreak in the area. So that could increase crowds tomorrow?

I looked at historical crowd levels on TP. It is definitely not a matter of perception or expectations. This year January is WAY more busy than last year.

I hate this. It seems they cut back on staff and are doing all they can to increase crowds. Great from a business standpoint since it means more money, but not so great for a guest.

I agree with this has been Disney's general approach to the parks as of late - reduce expenses, increase crowds/revenue. However, it seems like this January's crowds have been an anomoly that Disney was not prepared for. They base the park hours and staffing levels on years and years of data. Touring plans, an independent site who also has years and years of data, did not expect these crowds either. I can't blame Disney for staffing based on historical levels. That's what any sensible company would do.

But why can't Disney pull in more workers to increase ride capacity or open more QS lines. I imagine many cast members would want more hours or overtime. Is Disney being greedy? Or is it administrative red tape of getting money/additional hours approved that prevents more staffing?

I keep hearing that there is no slow time anymore and that January crowds are getting bigger. While this is true, it seems like THIS January is truly unusual and these crowds could not have been predicted or planned for. Crossing my fingers that crowds go back to normal next January because I'm planning on doing the half!

I agree with this has been Disney's general approach to the parks as of late - reduce expenses, increase crowds/revenue. However, it seems like this January's crowds have been an anomoly that Disney was not prepared for. They base the park hours and staffing levels on years and years of data. Touring plans, an independent site who also has years and years of data, did not expect these crowds either. I can't blame Disney for staffing based on historical levels. That's what any sensible company would do.

But why can't Disney pull in more workers to increase ride capacity or open more QS lines. I imagine many cast members would want more hours or overtime. Is Disney being greedy? Or is it administrative red tape of getting money/additional hours approved that prevents more staffing?

I keep hearing that there is no slow time anymore and that January crowds are getting bigger. While this is true, it seems like THIS January is truly unusual and these crowds could not have been predicted or planned for. Crossing my fingers that crowds go back to normal next January because I'm planning on doing the half!

It's all my fault, things like this tend to happen around me. And I am not kidding. Like, I hear at least once a week "Weird, that's never happened before", breaking debit machines, filling up my gas, buying a lottery ticket. Weird stuff happens around me. Blame me for the insane crowds....

Oh, heavens...somebody tell me when this Mardi Gras break is. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Thanks. That makes me feel at tiny bit better that at least that's not our week, but honestly after reading this thread, I don't know what to think. :scared:

LOL Don't say that!!!! We are looking at the second week in Sept. Man that hurricane messed up things last year. Always a real possibility though during hurricane season!

We were booked for first full week after Labor Day last year and had to cancel due to the hurricane. Rebooked for 8th-15th this September. Hoping lighting doesn’t strike twice...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter