• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone have an opinion of SANUK yoga sling flip flops for the parks? (and/or everyday life)

For some reason the bit between the toes has really started to bother me when wearing my yoga slings.

My tevas were MVP on m last trip. Perfect for all conditions and little to no good ache.

I've had surgery on both of my feet in the past and I need to be really careful with the type of shoes I wear. My sanuk yoga sling 2's are very comfortable for me and I've done multiple Disney days with no problems. I love them! I also wear crocs vezzy flip flops, Keens, teva, but my sanuks are my go-to shoes for comfort all day. At home (PA), I wear sketchers in colder weather, but I could never wear a closed shoe or sneaker of any type in Fl heat.

I love mine, but I only wore them in the parks for a few hours because my feet were too sore to wear anything else, and I was going to the park after the spa. I don't think they'd be a great choice for your main footwear on a trip.

I got a pair at Disney Springs a few years ago. I'm not sure what happened but for some reason I got horrible blisters and sore feet from a pair of shoes that have always very comfortable in the parks. My feet were covered in mole skin and blister healers so I basically bought them out of desperation. I will say that they were perfect for the condition my feet were in and I was much more comfortable. But they are seriously hideous on my feet. I felt like I looked fairly put together from the ankles up but I thought the shoes made me look really frumpy.

I love them for real life. I can't do a full park day in them. I tend to get raw on the ball of my foot. It isn't a blister but it is very red and hurts. I can do a few hours max at the parks in them.

For a hot spot like that you can put something like BodyGlide on your feet. Gold Bond also has a product like it or you can just put deodorant in your feet. It reduces the friction by Webb skin and shoe and prevents blisters or hot spots.

I'm a guy and I've worn Sanuk's fraid flip-flops to the parks several times and love 'em (also wear them regularly during the warmer months). Once you get past the initial break in period they're very comfortable. Gotta watch out for rides like Hogwart's Castle though where your feet fly out and about. :)

Dh has a pair of sanuks that are almost just like my son's (aka "mine" now that he outgrew them). Vastly more comfy than the slings for me.

I've tried a wide assortment of shoes at WDW over the years. As others have said, slippery sandals pose a risk at WDW.

After many trips, here's my wisdom to impart:

You feet are an essential element of any WDW day. When they start to hurt, your day is pretty much done. Unless you are willing to limp or use a wheelchair.

Feet are a bit like other parts of your body, they can't be easily replaced. This is well known, yet plenty of people abuse their bodies until it is too late. (WDW is full of folks that abuse their bodies in assorted ways.)

I always bring two pairs of quality footwear to WDW, and alternate between the two.

In most months of the year, we typically alternate between sneakers and high quality sandals- the kind with ankle straps. There are a number of brands that meet this criteria, but it kind depends on the shape of your foot, how much arch support you need, and how damaged your feet are.

In summer, we tend to favor the sandals.

We do sometimes wear flip flops in WDW, (easy to pack, easy to get on/off, water tolerant) but generally only wear them around the hotel or (just) for water rides.

I've tried many sandals over the years. My current favorites are Ecco sandals. Technically, the black Babett sandal isn't waterproof, but I've worn them I the rain many times without any problems. Over the course of a day, your feet swell, and these shoes are adjustable. Several Ecco styles are also nice enough to wear to dinner, then back to the parks until midnight.

Whichever shoes you and your whole family chooses, make sure they are in good repair before you arrive! I've seen someone suffer a significant injury because their tread was worn and they hydroplaned on a puddle. I've also been with someone whose old shoe fell apart. Please, please do NOT wear old stinky sneakers! when it rains, and old sneakers get wet, the next-day stench is disgusting to everyone that has to sit anywhere near you!

I've tried a wide assortment of shoes at WDW over the years. As others have said, slippery sandals pose a risk at WDW.

After many trips, here's my wisdom to impart:

You feet are an essential element of any WDW day. When they start to hurt, your day is pretty much done. Unless you are willing to limp or use a wheelchair.

Feet are a bit like other parts of your body, they can't be easily replaced. This is well known, yet plenty of people abuse their bodies until it is too late. (WDW is full of folks that abuse their bodies in assorted ways.)

I always bring two pairs of quality footwear to WDW, and alternate between the two.

In most months of the year, we typically alternate between sneakers and high quality sandals- the kind with ankle straps. There are a number of brands that meet this criteria, but it kind depends on the shape of your foot, how much arch support you need, and how damaged your feet are.

In summer, we tend to favor the sandals.

We do sometimes wear flip flops in WDW, (easy to pack, easy to get on/off, water tolerant) but generally only wear them around the hotel or (just) for water rides.

I've tried many sandals over the years. My current favorites are Ecco sandals. Technically, the black Babett sandal isn't waterproof, but I've worn them I the rain many times without any problems. Over the course of a day, your feet swell, and these shoes are adjustable. Several Ecco styles are also nice enough to wear to dinner, then back to the parks until midnight.

Whichever shoes you and your whole family chooses, make sure they are in good repair before you arrive! I've seen someone suffer a significant injury because their tread was worn and they hydroplaned on a puddle. I've also been with someone whose old shoe fell apart. Please, please do NOT wear old stinky sneakers! when it rains, and old sneakers get wet, the next-day stench is disgusting to everyone that has to sit anywhere near you!

Ha yeah I know walking sneakers are the best and broken in but not too broken in.
I've been 30+ times and pretty much always wear sneakers but I had seen such good reviews on these sandals in general that I figured I'd ask on here to see what people think of them in the parks.
Also sneakers are better because they control how much your feet are allowed to swell.
I'll probably just stick to my go to footwear to ensure my comfort but maybe buy a pair for general summer use at home. :)

Ha yeah I know walking sneakers are the best and broken in but not too broken in.
I've been 30+ times and pretty much always wear sneakers but I had seen such good reviews on these sandals in general that I figured I'd ask on here to see what people think of them in the parks.
Also sneakers are better because they control how much your feet are allowed to swell.
I'll probably just stick to my go to footwear to ensure my comfort but maybe buy a pair for general summer use at home. :)

You could also try what we do- wear sandals only in very limited situations- like to the pool, or after dinner on rain-free nights.

I think I actually own Sanuks (not 100% if that is the brand). The sandals I bought last spring, I bought because they were the most comfortable flip flops I'd tried in ages. The arch support in the foot-bed caught my eye. They are fairly comfy, but not for all day. Keens are another brand that is pretty good. Some Keens have straps that can be worn up or down, so they'd be fine in the rain.

I like slip-on shoes. Indeed, around the house, I don't use the back strap of my Ecco sandals.

Oh, you might also think about TSA if you are flying. Slip-on shoes are great in the airport. Though, word of caution...One trip I made the mistake of wearing flip -flops for the flight, and put my walking shoes in my luggage. I figured I swap when we got to WDW, except duh - we used Magic Express, and my walking shoes didn't arrive for several hours.

Each season in WDW has differing footwear needs. Heavy bursts are common in Summer.

I've never tied this, but supposedly, sneakers dry more quickly if you stuff them with a little newspaper.

I have both Skechers Yoga Mat sandals & the Sanuk equivalent. I much prefer the Skechers. The Sanuk "flip-flop" too much. I find that the Skechers has the cross band positioned lower on the foot, closer to the leg. Therefore it doesn't "flip-flop" when walking.

i have the sanuk yoga mat flip flops and the slings and i love both of them. I have used them at disney with no problems. I think it really depends on how hard you are on your shoes and on your feet.

I have both Skechers Yoga Mat sandals & the Sanuk equivalent. I much prefer the Skechers. The Sanuk "flip-flop" too much. I find that the Skechers has the cross band positioned lower on the foot, closer to the leg. Therefore it doesn't "flip-flop" when walking.
I love my Sketchers Go Walk Flip Flops! If you are looking for a sandal and love Sketchers, you may want to try them!

I'm not a big flip flop person because they tear up the skin between my toes.
I liked the thought of having soft stretch fabric like the Sanuk slings have.
I wanted to buy the Skechers yoga mat slide sandal but I need an 11 for foot length but then the part that keeps the sandal on your foot is way too big and unfortunately they don't have a velco adjuster :(

I'm not a big flip flop person because they tear up the skin between my toes.
I liked the thought of having soft stretch fabric like the Sanuk slings have.
I wanted to buy the Skechers yoga mat slide sandal but I need an 11 for foot length but then the part that keeps the sandal on your foot is way too big and unfortunately they don't have a velco adjuster :(
I have this problem too with between the toe pieces, but I don't have it with the Sketchers Go Walk flip flops. Like a PP said, you could order from Zappos to try them out and then return for free if needed.

Please, please do NOT wear old stinky sneakers! when it rains, and old sneakers get wet, the next-day stench is disgusting to everyone that has to sit anywhere near you!

I just had to quote this because it's so true. The first time my older daughters were tall enough for Kali, oldest kid and I wrapped our ponchos around our feet so our shoes would stay dry. Middle kid didn't listen and her shoes got soaked. Her wet socks started to rub so I bought her some dry socks to wear back to the resort. The smell from those wet socks was absolutely unholy. She insisted we keep the shoes - she was sentimental for some reason - and said she'd just keep them in her closet. No thanks. She had a pair of keen sandals she could wear for the rest of the trip, so it wasn't a big deal. When we got home, I hid the sneakers in the garage until she forgot about them and then tossed them (tried to dispose of them at the hotel but she was watching for it and it wasn't worth the drama).

I have a pair of the yoga mat sandals and they are quite comfy but, like others have said, I wouldn't wear them to the parks for a whole day. Wear to the pool, yes. Or out for a grocery run or just a few errands. I have stupidly high arches, though. So they don't rub anywhere, but my feet ache after a while from the lack of support.

I just bought these, too, to wear at the parks, but am now reconsidering. Any other ideas for cute, comfy shoes?

I have them and cannot stand them. The part where your foot hits is soft but the bottoms are flat and hard and my feet cry after an hour in them.

My son has a pair of kid's flip flops from them and they are soft soft. Not hard on the bottom so it bends nicely as you step and I can go hours in them (he bought them just before his feet got bigger than mine).

This. I hated them. No support for your arch/foot at all. I love my Nikes and Clarks.

I tried....it lasted until I got back to the room! The part between the toes was extremely irritating for my foot. I LOVE sandals at the park cause it seems that my feet tends to be the hottest part on my body..lol I wear Tevas...have several pairs and alternate them!

I've worn my Sanuk in the parks before. They are comfortable, but are slippery. But, I found I'd rather wear a more solid shoe in the parks (if I'm going to be all day) because there is so much walking, possible rain or wet rides, getting in & out of rides, & so if someone steps or rolls over my foot I have some protection.

I bought a pair last year when we were at Disney at the Sanuk Store in Disney Springs and wore them on our last park day. I didn't have any problems. I thought they were very comfortable. I worried about them hurting between my toes because it seemed like a lot of fabric to shove between my toes, but I didn't have any problems.

I like my Sanuks, but they aren't the best for walking around in all day. (And I'm someone who would wear flip flops everyday if I could.) I much prefer my Reefs or Tevas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter