Anyone have a Kindle?

Miscoehill

Mouseketeer
My birthday is this weekend and the DH wants to get me an IPAD, but I'm thinking Kindle. Does anyone have a kindle? How do u like it/not like it?

Though I love my kindle I probably would get the iPad if given a choice between the two. I would suggest go to the Apple store and read on the iPad then go to a Barnes and Noble and read on the Nook and compare.

Though I love my kindle I probably would get the iPad if given a choice between the two. I would suggest go to the Apple store and read on the iPad then go to a Barnes and Noble and read on the Nook and compare.

There is a huge difference in how they display the words. The IPad is like a computer monitor and the Kindle is like a book. The Kindle writes the words and then the screen goes off. It is like reading a book page. Very easy on the eye.

I love my Kindle - got it for mother's day last year. I use it for more than just books, though. I am a writer and am able to copy *.txt files to proofread and make comments.
However, with all its bells and whistles, I secretly desire an Ipad.
The kindle does have internet but it is slow and clunkly. But I will use that limited (free) connection to take my accounting final while in Disney next month.
There is no color so not suitable for photos.
But it is a heck of a lot cheaper if all you want to do is read.
My Kindles goes everywhere and despite being loaded with at 100 books, is not even a tenth full.
Amazon usually has 2-6 titles free every week. I rarely buy books for it unless it those I will read again and again. People know to get me amazon gift cards for holidays just for this purpose. I still borrow from the library, but now that I will be out-of-doors for spring & summer (esp Disney and other trips) the Kindle will become my prime reading resourse.
Good luck with your decision and ask me questions if you like.

I love my kindle. I agree with the others. It's like reading a book, not a computer screen. Actually it's better than a book. You can increase the font size and no paper cuts :rotfl2:

i covet the ipad too, but it won't fit in my purse! The kindle is a great size, about the size of a paperback and so easy to transport. The ipad is bigger and will not fit in my bag

We had a Kindle and my DH really liked it (it was supposed to be mine but somehow it became his really quickly), but once they came out with the Kindle for iPhone app, we started using that and eventually sold our Kindle through Gazelle. We read all our books on our phones now and although smaller, it's even more convenient because our phones are always with us. And that app is free, so if you already have an iPhone, it's another option.

I have the Barnes and Noble Nook. I haven't read this much in years, I love it. If you'd be using the device for mostly reading I would go with the Kindle or Nook. The iPad is like reading off of a computer screen and strains my eyes. The e-ink screen on my Nook is very easy on the eyes and I prefer it to even a regular book. I bought a nice cover for it and it feels like I'm reading a book. The iPad would be uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time because of it's size. With free 3G service I can buy a book wherever I am, the iPad has a wifi only version and is coming out with a 3g service that you'll have to pay monthly for. The other reason I'm not that interested in the iPad is that I have an iPhone and haven't seen any features on the iPad that would make me think of replacing my iPhone.

I received my kindle two years ago for Christmas, did not know what it was, absolutely love it!!! I purchase books that I really want and also download the free ones. Just finished reading Little Women (never read it in school) since classics are all free. Looking forward to all those books you always thought you would read but never did.

Sounds like the Kindle is easier on the eyes to read. I'm leaning towards the Kindle..that way, no one will "borrow" it! LOL

I've been wanting one as well. But I love to read in the tub! After dropping three library books and having to pay to replace them due to water damage, not a good idea.

the ipad can do so much more than a kindle i can't imagine ever wanting to get the kindle over the ipad if you wait for the 3g model 16 gb it will be 630 with the 3g capabilitys that you can turn on when ever you want... say you are going to disney, you just sign up that month for the 3g service for 30$ and have full internet and email while you are away from home and cancel the service after the trip and done... you can turn the 3g on when ever you want for 30 bucks a month for unlimited and off when ever you want no contracts. Also you get a color screan that looks amazing ... if you are reading a book with pictures in it it would look so much better on an ipad... i don't have one but i went to apple to look at them i am waiting until they put one out with a camera in it (really i will wait... i promised myself... but i am weak...) the 3g ones come out at the end of this month you should at least go test drive one before you commit to the kindle since the ipad has so much more it can do

just to throw something else in the mix-my husband gave me a choice between a kindle and an ipod touch. I got the touch-it has a kindle app and it works great for reading books off. I can drop it in my purse and go. It has my music, videos, and books on it (lots more apps but that is my main things!)

When/if Verizon gets an iphone I will be getting one of those.

Sounds like the Kindle is easier on the eyes to read. I'm leaning towards the Kindle..that way, no one will "borrow" it! LOL

The WSJ had a piece a few weeks ago comparing the eye strain between reading the Kindle and the Ipad and found no evidence that one was better than the other.

But there is a big difference. The Kindle is much easier to read in bright sunlight and the Ipad is backlit and easier to read in dark places. Depending on where you plan to read (outdoors or in bed), this may tilt you towards one or the other. The good thing is you will probably be very happy with either! -- Suzanne

I've used both the kindle and the ipad. I like the Ipad better. I like that it has so many more functions. Of course if you only want to read on it, than just get the Kindle. But I love the functionality of the Ipad, and I like how it displays the books better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter