Anyone following any covid protocols on cruises?

I am glad we now have the choice to mask or not mask onboard. I have been on a few cruises since covid and feel very comfortable. Just spent 5 days in Hawaii and then 10 days on the Wonder and very few wore masks and I still felt comfortable. We interacted with many people onboard in venues, on elevators, etc. If you feel uncomfortable by all means mask up but people can be coughing from a million things that are NOT covid too.

We just booked the Dream for the July 4th cruise and I don't plan on wearing a mask onboard. If I get it I get it. We are vaxed and boosted so if the vaccine is doing what it is supposed it should be a mild case. We have no other issues with our health so should be fine.

No one will say anything if you wear a mask or not.

MJ

I am glad we now have the choice to mask or not mask onboard. I have been on a few cruises since covid and feel very comfortable. Just spent 5 days in Hawaii and then 10 days on the Wonder and very few wore masks and I still felt comfortable. We interacted with many people onboard in venues, on elevators, etc. If you feel uncomfortable by all means mask up but people can be coughing from a million things that are NOT covid too.

We just booked the Dream for the July 4th cruise and I don't plan on wearing a mask onboard. If I get it I get it. We are vaxed and boosted so if the vaccine is doing what it is supposed it should be a mild case. We have no other issues with our health so should be fine.

MJ
Ha... "mild" means it most likely won't sent you to the hospital/most likely won't die from it... But boy, COVID gave my husband and I (triple vaxxed) quite a bumpy ride. To me, it felt like having influenza. My husband was in a slightly better shape than I was but had fever for 6 to 7 days. We are early 40s, in good shape with no important issues with our health (other than some non-threathening gastric problems on my side). I was a shocked, to be honest.

We tend to wear masks in crowded places even now that they are not mandatory anymore... I think we'll be careful when cruising as well.

MJ
Well said 💯👍🏻.

I will wear a mask mainly when I cruise with a autoimmune disease. Yeah I got the flu back in 2014 and that’s what we think woke lupus up.

Will I interact with people not masked yeah. As long as no one says anything dumb to me, then never a problem. Yeah there are some people who do that on land.

So while not worried like my mom is for me. Just don’t want to get sick, because even a sinus infection can create problems for me 😐🤣

Ha... "mild" means it most likely won't sent you to the hospital/most likely won't die from it... But boy, COVID gave my husband and I (triple vaxxed) quite a bumpy ride. To me, it felt like having influenza. My husband was in a slightly better shape than I was but had fever for 6 to 7 days. We are early 40s, in good shape with no important issues with our health (other than some non-threathening gastric problems on my side). I was a shocked, to be honest.

We tend to wear masks in crowded places even now that they are not mandatory anymore... I think we'll be careful when cruising as well.
I know a lot about influenza. Had it in 2014. Thought it was allergies at first 😳. Turned out to be flu. So basically was in bed for 7 days. Funny thing is I was stressed about missing a WDW/DCL trip. I did get better and we did go. 5 years later diagnosed with Lupus. And after flu started getting flu shots and never been sick. So I will wear a mask when I cruise and when people say mild I take that with grain of salt.

But of course not judging if people don’t wear masks, like I hope others don’t judge me.

My husband had covid in January and he didn't even know it. The only reason he tested at all is because our son was exposed at work and we spent the holidays together.

Of course no one knows how one will react to the virus but I am hoping for the best.

MJ

After having tested positive after my 5/9 Dream cruise, the symptoms increased as time went on. Really affected my breathing and put me out of work for 3 weeks. Triple vaxxed as well. This latest Oimcron variant surge is breaking thru vaccinated people, even those that have had all shots and boosters. Take it seriously.

For what it’s worth: My family and I were almost the only family masking up on our last cruise … since others were not wearing masks, we ended up catching covid anyway.

Being masked helps but it’s so much more effective when everyone is masking up. Not saying that I am hoping for masks to be required on cruiseships again but …
I'm so sorry to hear that! We saw only a handful of families with masks, and thousands of people without. My family generally did not wear a mask, but I DID wear a mask during the show in the theater. And... of thousands of passengers, I got Covid on the cruise, and coincidentally, I got an exposure notification later, from the night in the theater. Looking how the exposure notifications work (need 15+ minutes of 6 feet or closer) I think transmission must have been in the theater. I was not this close to anyone for this amount of time, except for the theater... My mask was a KF-94, and I did take it off to have a sip of water. For comparison, I have been in close contact with Covid+ throughout the pandemic with an N-95, and never got it. But in the theater, where there were less than 10 people total with masks, I must have gotten it! The rest of my family sitting next to me in the theater, did not get it.

It's one of those things. The person who squeezed in the one empty the seat directly behind me was talking and laughing a lot, and I assume that must have been it.
Someone from further away would not have triggered the exposure notification... Anyhow, it completely knocked me off my feet, and slowly recovering now. I assume one of the newer variants, but I will never know. Wishing you and your family a complete recovery!

I sailed the Dream May 27 3 night and was tired on our way back home Monday. I saw where alot of people in that Facebook group were testing positive so I tested when I got home and was positive. I was very lucky. I had a fever for 4 hours the following day and that was my only symptoms. Nothing else.

I wasn't long recovered from my bout of Covid when I cruised on the recent EBTA, so I felt relatively safe not getting "double covid," and remaining unmasked, lol. BUT...we still carried our masks with us most of the time. When an elevator came and people were wearing masks, we put ours on as well. Additionally, if we didn't have masks, but the elevator came and everyone was masked, we asked if they minded if we shared the elevator. Everyone said no, but I wouldn't have minded waiting for the next one if they were concerned.

In Europe, we had to wear masks on transport (only one lady complained about it saying the bus shouldn't be considered "public transport", but the company can enforce whatever rules they want) and most places inside, but outside was more optional.

Honestly, somehow I felt more comfortable without my mask on the ship than I do at my local grocery store which I realize is complete illogical.

I wasn't long recovered from my bout of Covid when I cruised on the recent EBTA, so I felt relatively safe not getting "double covid," and remaining unmasked, lol. BUT...we still carried our masks with us most of the time. When an elevator came and people were wearing masks, we put ours on as well. Additionally, if we didn't have masks, but the elevator came and everyone was masked, we asked if they minded if we shared the elevator. Everyone said no, but I wouldn't have minded waiting for the next one if they were concerned.

In Europe, we had to wear masks on transport (only one lady complained about it saying the bus shouldn't be considered "public transport", but the company can enforce whatever rules they want) and most places inside, but outside was more optional.

Honestly, somehow I felt more comfortable without my mask on the ship than I do at my local grocery store which I realize is complete illogical.
This. I hear this a lot and even thought that at some point… but when I was on my last cruise, I realize that I am never in such proximity with so many people at home.

When I eat at my local restaurants, there is about 5 to 25 people, not 500-1000 and we don’t do it every night!

People laugh when I say this but I was recently on a big ship and my comparison was that sometimes it was « like being at the mall during boxing day but without the fights ».

I remember when there were shows in the lobby on the Dream and Wonder, how crowded it was. And during a cruise, we go to see shows every night… which we never do at home.

Truth is my family and I are all so much more exposed on a cruise. It doesn’t even compare to our everyday life.

I'm so sorry to hear that! We saw only a handful of families with masks, and thousands of people without. My family generally did not wear a mask, but I DID wear a mask during the show in the theater. And... of thousands of passengers, I got Covid on the cruise, and coincidentally, I got an exposure notification later, from the night in the theater. Looking how the exposure notifications work (need 15+ minutes of 6 feet or closer) I think transmission must have been in the theater. I was not this close to anyone for this amount of time, except for the theater... My mask was a KF-94, and I did take it off to have a sip of water. For comparison, I have been in close contact with Covid+ throughout the pandemic with an N-95, and never got it. But in the theater, where there were less than 10 people total with masks, I must have gotten it! The rest of my family sitting next to me in the theater, did not get it.

It's one of those things. The person who squeezed in the one empty the seat directly behind me was talking and laughing a lot, and I assume that must have been it.
Someone from further away would not have triggered the exposure notification... Anyhow, it completely knocked me off my feet, and slowly recovering now. I assume one of the newer variants, but I will never know. Wishing you and your family a complete recovery!
Since you did a European cruise did you hear about the restrictions when testing positive while onboard? Room changes? Total cabin lockdown? Thank you!

This. I hear this a lot and even thought that at some point… but when I was on my last cruise, I realize that I am never in such proximity with so many people at home.

When I eat at my local restaurants, there is about 5 to 25 people, not 500-1000 and we don’t do it every night!

People laugh when I say this but I was recently on a big ship and my comparison was that sometimes it was « like being at the mall during boxing day but without the fights ».

I remember when there were shows in the lobby on the Dream and Wonder, how crowded it was. And during a cruise, we go to see shows every night… which we never do at home.

Truth is my family and I are all so much more exposed on a cruise. It doesn’t even compare to our everyday life.
I can understand that. I guess the difference for me is that fact that everyone was tested before getting on the ship. I don't know of any place in everyday life where that is true.

Since you did a European cruise did you hear about the restrictions when testing positive while onboard? Room changes? Total cabin lockdown? Thank you!
That is why we only sailed a 4 night cruise to nowhere ( Nassau and Castaway Key). We didn’t get off the boat in Nassau. Still got Covid post cruise. I would never want to chance it over seas in Europe. I don’t know when we will ever get back to Europe as long as there is some type of Covid 19 variant. Shots or not, there are still too many restrictions abroad.

That is why we only sailed a 4 night cruise to nowhere ( Nassau and Castaway Key). We didn’t get off the boat in Nassau. Still got Covid post cruise. I would never want to chance it over seas in Europe. I don’t know when we will ever get back to Europe as long as there is some type of Covid 19 variant. Shots or not, there are still too many restrictions abroad.
Well we are heading over next week for the Magic sailing to the Med. Keeping our fingers crossed about everything.

We were on the 6/6-6/9 Dream and seriously felt like we were the only ones masking up. Nobody gave us any crap for it, thankfully and there were a couple of other families, but we were definitely a very tiny number. Tested (rapid) this morning and was a negative. It's been 5 days but I'm hopeful. We did do WDW after and masked up there too.

Exactly! Plus the positivity rates are higher most places now, especially in FL
Nah, the rates were much higher last fall and over the winter when the Omicron surge was in full swing. But, we had PCR tests just before departure and masks indoors back then.

Let's not go too far and start getting in trouble for violating the rules, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter