Anyone else buying before they increase the blue card minimum?

I think an increase right now is odd too, but I think they planned this increase a while ago. Just my speculation, but I think a couple of years ago they decided to raise the minimum every year for a while and they're sticking to that plan. Even though no perk is forever, I think they're going to continue to add and change perks all the time, they're really trying to differentiate direct from resale.

Another reason we bought more direct points is for the ability to use them at future resorts, We only have 75 points that can be used at Riviera and beyond, and they're going to expire in 2042. So we wanted to be able to stay at future resorts without having to rent or transfer points. That actually gives the points a little more value to us compared to resale, although I can't put a dollar amount on that.

Didn't they increase prices last Oct/Nov? So I'm expecting them to raise them again anytime!

You might want to confirm with your guide before switching your home resort after the 19th because you usually get a whole new contract to sign when that happens. Just make sure they don't give you a new contract with a 125 point minimum if the OKW you want becomes available. We actually had started buying OKW and then changed to AKV. When we changed they cancelled the OKW contract and wrote a new contract for us to sign for AKV.

I did ask about that, and she said it would still be covered even if it was after the 19th. I will definitely ask again if an OKW does come through and we do change!

I think an increase right now is odd too, but I think they planned this increase a while ago. Just my speculation, but I think a couple of years ago they decided to raise the minimum every year for a while and they're sticking to that plan. Even though no perk is forever, I think they're going to continue to add and change perks all the time, they're really trying to differentiate direct from resale.

Another reason we bought more direct points is for the ability to use them at future resorts, We only have 75 points that can be used at Riviera and beyond, and they're going to expire in 2042. So we wanted to be able to stay at future resorts without having to rent or transfer points. That actually gives the points a little more value to us compared to resale, although I can't put a dollar amount on that.

Didn't they increase prices last Oct/Nov? So I'm expecting them to raise them again anytime!

I did ask about that, and she said it would still be covered even if it was after the 19th. I will definitely ask again if an OKW does come through and we do change!
I would probably keep the AKV points-it is not that much of a price difference and you can book club and value rooms

Agent emailed me today and said friday is the last day to buy 100 points and that the 125 minimum will be on 10/19.

WE took the plunge last week and bought 100 PVB direct. We plan to add 200 via resale soon for the right UY, but now was the time that it made sense for us financially to buy in, and while it was a lot more expensive than buying the whole contract via re-sale, we hope to make back the difference over time with AP discounts for our growing family and enjoying the various other perks (which I understand are totally not guaranteed, including AP discounts, and could disappear at any time, etc.)

I have been getting pretty big fomo over this one. I don't own yet, basically have been on analysis paralisis thinking prices would plummet at some point on resale. My guide was going to touch base today or tomorrow to see if I wanted to pull the trigger on a 100 point SSR contract.

I think right now for a family of my size (3) it is really tough to justify the extra $6.5k to buy direct vs resale. I can't imagine us taking advantage of the AP discount too often. We already have Disney Visa for some of the dining discounts. The moonlight magic is hit or miss on your timing. I still would spend money to do a Halloween party event anyways. You can bridge the gap a little bit by like banking your immediate points or selling them. But I still think you are in the red for like $4-5k minimum vs resale and that seems like a long way to make up saving a $100-$200 here every year or so of travel. The resale restrictions although ideal, don't bother me. I think I could be pretty happy with the accommodations over the next 30+ years as is.

I think the only thing that might make me pull the trigger would be if they had some reason to believe a new benefit was coming out or there was a really attractive financing option (ie: 0% for 5 years).

The only reason to buy direct is for the annual pass discount. If you live in Florida or are military, you can get the same discounted pass anyway. If you buy annual passes every other year or every third year, you do have to ask yourself if it is worth it. If you need to finance I wouldn’t bother. Any savings would be eaten up with interest. It is a tough call. We have 3 kids and bought direct but when the requirement was 75 points. We also have a lot of other resale points, so sometimes we go four or five times a year and the annual pass is worth it for us. Staying at other resorts from RIV on is just not a draw. The point charts are so high at RIV anyway and while RIV is nice it definitely wasn’t Walt Disney “plussed.” Moonlight madness is fun but nothing to spend thousands on. Dh does like the Epcot lounge but sometimes it is so crowded you can’t get in anyway. It is a glorified airport lounge but is also a bit grungy at this point.

You have to request it.
I'm actually surprised they are still sending them. The digital card is a more accurate representation of your membership status and with everything going digital currently, it seems like it would be the right time to transition this as well.

Our cards were sent automatically and we got them about a month after we officially closed or about 6-7 weeks from date of purchase. Hope that helps!

The website says you don't, and on my QA call I was told it would be automatically sent in a few weeks. I guess I'll keep an eye out and report back!

View attachment 532179

FYI - The physical card that you get initially has an expiration date. So if you like physical cards, you will have to continue to request it a few months before it expires...

I have a quick question, we currently have 220 direct points and were looking to add-on 30 more and wanted to know if we wait until January 2021 to do this, would we still be able to get 2020 points?

I have a quick question, we currently have 220 direct points and were looking to add-on 30 more and wanted to know if we wait until January 2021 to do this, would we still be able to get 2020 points?

Depends on what resort you are buying, If you are buying RIV, then yes, there should not be a problem since all UYs are still in their 2020 UY in January 2021.

If it is a sold out resort, then it depends if they still have 2020 UY points in your UY.

The website says you don't, and on my QA call I was told it would be automatically sent in a few weeks. I guess I'll keep an eye out and report back!

View attachment 532179
I'll note that I thought I needed to order it myself when I first bought direct, as I hadn't seen it after 2-3 weeks after closing. So I went and ordered a replacement card.

... and now I have two cards, because they do in fact automatically send it to you. :)

Depends on what resort you are buying, If you are buying RIV, then yes, there should not be a problem since all UYs are still in their 2020 UY in January 2021.

If it is a sold out resort, then it depends if they still have 2020 UY points in your UY.
Our points are at AKV and that is where we would like to add on...our UY is September. I thought that if you were buying direct, Disney can change the UY points to accomodate you.

Our points are at AKV and that is where we would like to add on...our UY is September. I thought that if you were buying direct, Disney can change the UY points to accomodate you.

They can, but they still need to have the 2020 UY points in stock with whatever UY they do have,

For example, say they only have Feb to Aug UYs in stock. If those have 2020 UY points with them, it’s easy for them to change it,

However, if all those contracts are stripped of 2020 UY points, then Changing the UY doesn’t matter because they can’t create a new set of points that are not there any longer,

What they will not do is sell you a Sept UY if they can not give you 2020 UY points because they have to sell with current UY points, which would be the UY for September, All you can do is Call when you are ready and see if they have them to sell you without a waitlist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter