Anyone else buying before they increase the blue card minimum?

Same exact reason why we went with direct. Family of 5 and gold AP can make up difference pretty quickly.

After loosing 2 SSR contracts this summer to ROFR we went ahead and grabbed 100 direct last week. With a family of 5, gold APs every other year will make up the difference pretty quickly. We opted to spread costs between 2 credit cards with good rewards which lowered the out of pocket costs. So instead of our original plan of 150 resale points we ended up with 100 direct points with the blue card benefits. With a plan to add on in 2-3 years if we find these first 100 points work well for our family over the next few years.

So.... did the minimum never end up being raised?

Waiting to see if they update anything sometime this morning on the website. Nothing yet that I've found.

I still feel it's happening though. I've even seen an email from someone who got a response from Terri stating it was occurring.

I'm watching for this as well. Disney has not passed any ROFRs for the past 2 weeks....which leads me to believe they are about to raise the minimum. I'm anxiously awaiting my ROFR notification and want them to just raise it already if they are planning on raising it.

I just happened to check and the wording has indeed changed on the website to reflect that you must own and maintain 125 direct points effective Oct 19, 2020 to qualify for the blue card.

This feels like a move completely out of touch with reality. Obviously it is part of a long term plan, but it feels like leadership not being able to make adjustments based on the current situation.

I’ve kinda sorta played with the idea of buying 100 points direct, but I really don’t want 125 direct. I had to squint really hard to make the math work for my family at 100 and now I can’t even pretend it would work.

If they build a new resort in the future that I just absolutely have to have, I would probably buy direct then. But that is not even on the horizon right now, so I’m happy to stay a white card resale member.

Makes me wonder if anyone with any common sense is running DVC and making decisions? Seems like all of the things they are doing lately are totally out of touch as noted above. I realize this is a business and money is the bottom line but it doesn’t seem like any of the changes they have made over the last year are going to do the many favors profit wise?

MEADS not updated. The last time they updated it on the website about 10 days after the increase....

But there are. The suspension of the AP is not up to DVC but WDPR and people who had expired or canceled passes have been able to purchase with the DVC pricing.

And, who knows, maybe those that purchase right now will be given a special ability to purchase with sales suspended.

Still, you don’t purchase for just one trip. I am hoping we see some other perks happen as that was the rumor as well!

Makes me wonder if anyone with any common sense is running DVC and making decisions? Seems like all of the things they are doing lately are totally out of touch as noted above. I realize this is a business and money is the bottom line but it doesn’t seem like any of the changes they have made over the last year are going to do the many favors profit wise?

It may not in the short term, but if they want to be able to change things moving forward they have to start somewhere,

Before Covid, they had been doing well with sales, and had Reflections and the new DL project on the books.

I have said it before, they may not be in a rush any longer of selling since having RIV as an option for deluxe cash guests allows them to keep BWI, BC, AKL, and WL closed...which saves that division a lot of money with occupancy so low,

I also wonder given the purchase of older resorts like SSR is enough to keep them happy for the short term and will use ROFR to make a quick profit?

It sure will be interesting to see how things play out in the next 6 months with sales!

So are members grandfathered in to the blue card? My mom has 125 points she bought several years ago. I know she’s good now but when they raise it in the future to 150 or whatever will she still be a blue care holder?

So are members grandfathered in to the blue card? My mom has 125 points she bought several years ago. I know she’s good now but when they raise it in the future to 150 or whatever will she still be a blue care holder?

Yes, as long as she holds that contract.

If she bought a new contract that was not eligible, (re-sale, direct < the blue card minimum), and then sold that one, she would lose status. It’s the points, and not the person, that are grandfathered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!