Anyone downgrading your resort preferences because of higher rates?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
We are going this summer and we usually stay at a deluxe. This year there is no way with the increase in resort prices unless a really good deal comes out.
We are thinking about CBR or maybe even a value . The prices for resorts and tickets are getting to be to much!
I’m still hoping for a good discount for a moderate. Deluxe will not be an option unless it’s a good discount for the WL, which used to be one of the cheaper deluxes.

Yup, or split stay.

The Poly was our goto, but its crazy crowded and crazy expensive to have to deal with those kind of crowds. The monorail is almost intolerable experience the way people pack in them now.

The kids are older teens now so the advantage if a close park is not as much of a draw.

May finally try PO or a moderate next trip.

Sorta. I now do split stays with the first night or two at a value or moderate then move over to Swan/Dolphin. We drive down and get there around 2 or 3 so it didn't make sense to pay deluxe prices for that night since we go right to a park when we arrive. Then it just depends on what I can get at Swan/Dolphin as to whether we stay one or two nights at the value. Because we drive it's easy to switch resorts and we tend to spend most of our time at HS and Epcot so the location is perfect. I miss my YC and BW but just can't justify those prices when Swan/Dolphin are right there.

Yes. Decided last night to do a weekend in February. We usually go deluxe, with a few mod stays. Have an AP, but weekends are at rack rate. So I booked AoA LM room. Our first venture into values. Going with an open mind.

We did the moderates when our kids were young and into their teens. The resorts were fine but the rooms weren’t what we’re accustomed to when we travel. Tried AoA suite which was fine considering I got the room but the resort itself was chaotic and the food court crazy IMO! We prefer the deluxes now and like to stay on the monorail resorts specifically the Poly. Unfortunately for the accommodations they’re really not a great value. We stayed at the Dolphin for the first time in September and that was a much better experience for the money (points)!

We’ll see what happens after our next trip but paying 600+ a night is getting a little crazy and that’s not even a room with a view.

Yes! We love the deluxe and consider the resort a big part of the experience. My youngest daughter is dancing in a parade with her dance team and we wanted to attach our family vacation to that (June) so our dates are kind of locked in. The prices are crazy! Not only is it over $500/night for a standard room at BC, my older daughters are over 18 so they change a per night fee of $25 EACH for them as they are extra adults in the room. CRAZY. We are still hoping for a pin or discount but we are exploring options of the Swan/Dolphin or a mod.

Yup, or split stay.

The Poly was our goto, but its crazy crowded and crazy expensive to have to deal with those kind of crowds. The monorail is almost intolerable experience the way people pack in them now.

The kids are older teens now so the advantage if a close park is not as much of a draw.

May finally try PO or a moderate next trip.
Oh the Poly is my favorite! Right now it’s 500 something a night standard view rack rates :crazy2:

Yes. Decided last night to do a weekend in February. We usually go deluxe, with a few mod stays. Have an AP, but weekends are at rack rate. So I booked AoA LM room. Our first venture into values. Going with an open mind.
I was checking out AOA last night on the internet. We would have to go with the Little Mermaid room too. After looking at the map my concern is how far away it looks to the food and buses. Do they only have 1 bus stop?

Yes! We love the deluxe and consider the resort a big part of the experience. My youngest daughter is dancing in a parade with her dance team and we wanted to attach our family vacation to that (June) so our dates are kind of locked in. The prices are crazy! Not only is it over $500/night for a standard room at BC, my older daughters are over 18 so they change a per night fee of $25 EACH for them as they are extra adults in the room. CRAZY. We are still hoping for a pin or discount but we are exploring options of the Swan/Dolphin or a mod.
Yes it’s crazy expensive! We stayed at BC a few years ago for around 300.00 a night standard view and I thought that was to much back then.

I was checking out AOA last night on the internet. We would have to go with the Little Mermaid room too. After looking at the map my concern is how far away it looks to the food and buses. Do they only have 1 bus stop?

There is only 1 bus stop at AoA but don't forget that you'd have access to the skyliner from there too. It's about a 10 minute walk from the LM rooms to the main building where the bus stop and food court are. It's about a 7 minute walk from the LM rooms to the skyliner station.

You should look into Pop. LM rooms are a far walk to everything. Pop rooms are renovated and more centrally located to amenities.

We are going this summer and we usually stay at a deluxe. This year there is no way with the increase in resort prices unless a really good deal comes out.
We are thinking about CBR or maybe even a value . The prices for resorts and tickets are getting to be to much!
I’m still hoping for a good discount for a moderate. Deluxe will not be an option unless it’s a good discount for the WL, which used to be one of the cheaper deluxes.
We're not downgrading again. We stayed at POP last year because we were vacationing with family that could not afford Deluxe or Moderate. My husband and I didn't like anything about it (sorry POP lovers - different strokes). So we're back to Deluxe this year. Styling, size, location, food options, pools, transportation, etc are just better.

All that said, I work for a hospitality chain and can stay for $70/night at a Good Neighbor hotel and get those perks. I have considered that for a quick weekend trip if flights are cheap, just to try it out.

You should look into Pop. LM rooms are a far walk to everything. Pop rooms are renovated and more centrally located to amenities.
We have stayed at Pop. I kind of want try a resort we haven’t stayed at. Our Pop experience was not that good. Probably because it was close to Christmas and crowded.

We're not downgrading again. We stayed at POP last year because we were vacationing with family that could not afford Deluxe or Moderate. My husband and I didn't like anything about it (sorry POP lovers - different strokes). So we're back to Deluxe this year. Styling, size, location, food options, pools, transportation, etc are just better.

All that said, I work for a hospitality chain and can stay for $70/night at a Good Neighbor hotel and get those perks. I have considered that for a quick weekend trip if flights are cheap, just to try it out.
I feel the same about Pop. I guess it is one of the best value resorts maybe. The only other value we have stayed is All Star Music.

We have stayed at Pop. I kind of want try a resort we haven’t stayed at. Our Pop experience was not that good. Probably because it was close to Christmas and crowded.
Then I would recommend a moderate like POFQ. The lLM rooms at AofA are the priciest and discounts are not always available. You can probably get a standard room at POFQ on a discount for not much more. It’s quiet and peaceful and there is only one bus stop, plus you’ve got the boat to DS.

Then I would recommend a moderate like POFQ. The lLM rooms at AofA are the priciest and discounts are not always available. You can probably get a standard room at POFQ on a discount for not much more. It’s quiet and peaceful and there is only one bus stop, plus you’ve got the boat to DS.
There aren't usually any discounts at POFQ because of it's size and popularity, in my experience. You can get discounts at POR which is a fantastic sister resort to POFQ. We've stayed at both and like POR much more.

I've only stayed 'deluxe' at Disneyland, not Disneyworld, and only because those trips were gifts I gave to my parents. I just can't justify the price for deluxe at WDW, it seems ridiculously overpriced to me when I compare what is offered to international high end hotels. It's not that I couldn't afford it, but I could use that money for so many other things or other holidays.

I have stayed value, it wasn't bad, but I prefer moderates and can usually find a good deal. I like POFQ and riverside, I prefer Coronado and I'm staying there and CBR for my upcoming stay. It's quite honestly about $125 difference per night (with my AP discount) between my room at CSR and the cheapest room at a deluxe (Saratoga springs). Add that up over two weeks... that's just not worth it to me.

That said, if deluxe makes you happy, you can afford it and the price doesn't bother you, go for it. To each their own. Obviously some people see value in it because they keep booking up and Disney keeps building them, and I think people just like to vacation differently. There are lots of people out there who probably think it's silly I pay for a moderate vs a value, but that's where I feel comfortable staying.

Another thing I would add is that Disney Springs area hotels are looking increasingly appealing to me. I would have stayed there for my upcoming March trip, but I'm now taking my brother and his fiancee as a gift and thought it was better to stay on site.

That said, as some food for thought...

I could have got a 13 night stay at a Disney Spring area hotel, where there was a walking path to Disney Springs, for about $450 less than my 8 nights at CSR. And I would have earned hotel points! I think I'm going to do two WDW trips next year and give that a go.

There aren't usually any discounts at POFQ because of it's size and popularity, in my experience. You can get discounts at POR which is a fantastic sister resort to POFQ. We've stayed at both and like POR much more.
I know POFQ has been shut out of free dining for a number of years now, but there are usually room only discounts. We stayed there as recently as last summer with a room discount. I actually find the POFQ discounts better then Riverside, because when I stay at Riverside, I like to stay preferred or in a royal room and those room categories are so expensive, even with a discount.

We have stayed at both. We are wanting a place we haven’t stayed at. We have stayed at all the moderates except CBR. So I have that on our list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!