Anyone been to Disneyworld during Mardi Gras?

watts1931

Earning My Ears
How were the crowds during Mardi Gras? What were wait times like? Just trying to plan trip.

Thanks

Mardi Gras is busy. There are areas of the US where schools let out for Mardi Gras -- whether it's a few days or a full week might vary. It often hits around (before/after) Presidents' Day weekend, which usually creates a double-whammy of crowds at WDW. In 2025 Mardi Gras is a bit later coming in early March, but that means it hits around the time of some winter/spring break for some areas of the country. It will be busy, though I don't think it will be as bad as when it coincides with Presidents Day.

I have been twice during Mardi Gras. And have said no thanks to doing it again. The parks were very crowded both times with long waits. My friends and I typically go the first week of March, but after looking at the calendar for next year pushed our trip back a week. I would rather that than the chaos of Mardi Gras.

I have been twice during Mardi Gras. And have said no thanks to doing it again. The parks were very crowded both times with long waits. My friends and I typically go the first week of March, but after looking at the calendar for next year pushed our trip back a week. I would rather that than the chaos of Mardi Gras.
So what week would be best to avoid Mardi gras? Last week of february or 2nd week of March? Won't the spring breakers be there 2nd week of march?

So what week would be best to avoid Mardi gras? Last week of february or 2nd week of March? Won't the spring breakers be there 2nd week of march?

We've gone the last week of February as its our school vacation week, it's usually softer attendance than President's Day week. But you do have to pick your parks around the princess half marathon. (Don't go to Epcot or MK from a bus resort on half marathon day)

Yes and never again. It was insanely busy from all the people from the area where Mardi Gras occurs being out of school and going to WDW to escape the festivities. :crowded::eek:

Mardi Gras changes year to year. It has to do with when Easter is each year which also varies. This year it was pretty early. Next year, Easter is late and Mardi Gras is on March 4th. I am including a link of the dates for the next several years. Link https://www.neworleans.com/events/holidays-seasonal/mardi-gras/future-mardi-gras-dates/. Next year, maybe late Feb would be ok, but it depends what day President's Day is on if that week will be ok. You need to look at the calendar or google the dates to see if those events are occuring the week you are thinking. I am sticking with the week I picked for next year.

I can't speak to February but my family typically goes over Spring Break, Thanksgiving, or Christmas because DW is a teacher, and we are not going in the heat of the summer so that leaves those other three times.

We have probably gone over Spring Break at least 3 or 4 times now stretching back several years and while it is busy, we always feel like it isn't that bad. Thankfully where we live in Texas, Spring Break is usually that second week of March which is usually a bit earlier than the rest of the country. For example, we have family in Louisiana, Ohio, WV, and Washington state and their Spring Breaks have never once lined up with ours. The end of that week is definitely busier than the beginning, I can tell you that much. We are even going again next year, arriving late on the 7th through the 15th or 16th (departure date TBD).

Even with the crowds, we have been able to ride GotG and RotR, via virtual queues without purchasing ILL, for what it's worth. Tron wasn't open last time we went.

Probably my biggest advise about going at that time of year is really watch the forecast and still pack a few different layered options, and if anyone in the group has allergies make sure to bring your meds. We have had days with highs in the 50s and then in the upper 80s/lower 90s on the same trip. While we have gotten some rain I will also add that, historically, it has been pretty minimal in March. As for allergies, it's during the Flower and Garden festival at Epcot and while it is beautiful to look at, if I don't take something for them my allergies will flare up fast.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy the trip.

We were at WDW during Mardi Gras a couple of years ago, staying at POFQ. We hadn't realized that our stay included Mardi Gras and we were pleasantly surprised, since FQ has a parade and all kinds of fun things during the day and in the evening.

I believe we went to DAK that day, so there was not a problem with crowds. And we got to see Tiana at FQ in the evening!

We were there in 2023 for my BIL wedding. It was my first time going in 20 years and I thought to myself "this is just as crowded as the holiday break". Upon speaking with some regulars, they mentioned it was busier than Christmas week a couple months before.

We still had a blast, and strategically purchased the (what is now LL+) in conjunction with Genie pass and made use of the early and late hours. We were able to experience 90% of the things we wanted to and didn't have to get stuck in lines for extended periods too often.

I will say going to Univ Studios is a must. They seem to embrace the MG theme more and the parade at night is a must do. We had 7 in our party and I was literally the only one who wanted to see the parade. By the end of it, the parade was the favorite part of the entire trip for the other 6 (yes, more so than the wedding ceremony for some), especially the kids. The floats are vibrant and who doesn't like catching beads.

It usually sees a bump in crowds, since many schools have off for the holiday or President's day. Not Spring Break crowd levels, but busier than early February.

My wife and I went in February of 2023. This trip was during the every couple of years interaction of: Mardis Gras, Princess HM, and Presidents Day. Certainly worth noting since that enhanced the business of the parks, but I distinctly remember that while we were there, it was the first time Genie+ ever sold out (and it did so on B2B days). Overall though, our take away was for solidified Disney Geeks such as ourselves, it didn't really negatively affect our trip. We still got to see and do everything we wanted (important edit -- it was just wife and I, so I'd imagine with the inclusion of our 5YO, it would have been different).

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest