Anybody else have Gastroparesis?

FigmentForEver1976

Mouseketeer
Does anybody else have Gastroparesis? Do you have tips for me for when I go in June? I can eat small amounts as long as it's pretty processed and not fresh fruits and veggies.

Does anybody else have Gastroparesis? Do you have tips for me for when I go in June? I can eat small amounts as long as it's pretty processed and not fresh fruits and veggies.

I have it, but I don't vomit (yet ... and I hope I never do) from eating. I lost weight because of it, even though my gastroenterologist said "a lot of people actually gain weight because of it." I don't really eat dairy, but sometimes I will have ice cream or yogurt. I simply do not know when I digest. Had both the endoscopy and gastric emptying study (the latter confirmed the findings alleged from the former). I count myself very lucky, because a lot of people who have it cannot keep food down. I do my best to watch what I eat. Sometimes my stomach starts making noises and movements and I'm like, "Wait, there shouldn't be anything in my stomach." It is SO HARD to vacation in Disney because of going out to eat every day and the heavy foods. I tend to rely on acid reflux meds for the duration of my trip so I can actually eat the food. I can imagine what you're going through - it's unnerving.

One time I stayed at POR and was with family. Lucky, I don't like omelets, but they had a morning omelet station set up then (this was years ago), and they were cooking the omelets with cooking oil! My cousins were sick to their stomach the entire day. I've never heard of making an omelet drenched in oil. Point is: you have to ask about how things are cooked. Sometimes you'll find that Disney is doing odd things with the food (I know some places love to butter and toast hamburger buns -- turns out they're not fresh buns - I make sure my bun is not buttered or toasted -- this also happened at POR a few times). You've really got to get in there and ask what's going on. Speak to someone personally about your issue at your resort (not sure where you're staying). If quality of service is still the same, a manager might come over to help you with special requests. They're really supposed to be good about special requests due to dietary restrictions.

Last edited:
I do. After I was diagnosed with GP, but Before I was diagnosed with my food allergies and mast cell disease, and subsequently placed in TPN, I relied on Boost and Ensure drinks most days, especially when in WDW because of all of the walking. Can you tolerate anything like that to help make sure you get the calories and nutrition you need for a vacation like Disneyworld? That was always a lifesaver for me because I could not consume enough food to maintain adequate nutrition status. I also in general relied on a lot of smoothies and soups.

As far as fresh fruits and veggies, I have oral allergy syndromre and mast cell disease so I cannot have any raw fruits and vegetables and only a select few if they are cooked....a lot more than usual. The chefs the past few trips were very accommodating about that. And when they brought it out, they always asked if it was cooked enough...if it wasn't, they would cook it until it was safe for me to eat.

I would definitely recommend asking for a chef because they might have some ideas that you might not have thought of. They might not know what gastroparesis is, and as you probably know, everyone has different severity, restrictions, etc, so I would request a chef and not necessarily tell them you have gastroparesis since they might not know what that means, but I would just be specific in what you can and cannot eat and see what they can accommodate for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter