Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

How will we get official word on how the island was affected? Does Disney make some sort of announcement or is it just word of mouth after the castmembers can communicate with loved ones?

If anything affects your sailing, DCL will let you know.

UPDATE
Just got voicemail from my daughter, everyone is ok. Some damage. Marsh Harbour total damage. Hope to have a video call from her within a day or two. Said to keep the people from Marsh Harbour in our prayers. Still dealing with 30-40 mph winds.

So glad to hear everyone on CC is safe! Will continue prayers for Marsh Harbour and others impacted. Thank you for sharing. :-)

UPDATE
Just got voicemail from my daughter, everyone is ok. Some damage. Marsh Harbour total damage. Hope to have a video call from her within a day or two. Said to keep the people from Marsh Harbour in our prayers. Still dealing with 30-40 mph winds.
I'm so happy your daughter and the other CMs are safe! That is really great news. I've been following the news closely since I live in South Florida. I feel so bad for the people in the Bahamas with this storm just sitting on them all weekend. It looks like the storm is finally starting to move north, the 8am advisory said it's back to moving 1 mph so she shouldn't have to deal with the storm much longer.

Yes they are in their normal quarters, but they are confined to the compound. Wind gusts still as high as 50 MPH. Don't know about how the beach and the rest of the island is.

But being out of the bunker at least is a good sign! :)

Just saw a post on the DCL Blog on Twitter~

“All is well at Castaway Cay,” said Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman Kim Prunty. “Due to the tropical storm conditions the island experienced, we have some cleaning up to do related to landscaping and will need to make minor repairs to the roof of one small covered pavilion area. We are awaiting the arrival of survey equipment to evaluate the pier and ship channel, as is required after any storm, before we are able to reopen Castaway Cay to guests.”

Just saw a post on the DCL Blog on Twitter~ “All is well at Castaway Cay,” said Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman Kim Prunty. “Due to the tropical storm conditions the island experienced, we have some cleaning up to do related to landscaping and will need to make minor repairs to the roof of one small covered pavilion area. We are awaiting the arrival of survey equipment to evaluate the pier and ship channel, as is required after any storm, before we are able to reopen Castaway Cay to guests.”

This is the real reason Castaway Cay may be closed for weeks-months. The storm surge was still huge there and likely will require significant dredging and cleanup work before they can dock ships and have people walk around in the sand underwater.

Disney just released a statement. In the theme parks forum huricane forum. Basicallt all is well minor roof damage, landscaping and survey needed fir dock which is standard pricedure

Not sure how Castaway Cay had minor damage when Abaco Island which is only 10 miles away was nearly wiped out. Helicopter footage below.

Exactly. I have friends on Elbow Cay which is a 30 min boat drive and one of the restaurant/bars is completely gone. The roof of another resort is gone. Entire homes were washed away.

Not sure how Castaway Cay had minor damage when Abaco Island which is only 10 miles away was nearly wiped out. Helicopter footage below.

I can tell you from personal experience - we took a direct hit with Hurricane Charlie at my house. Power poles were down all over, no power for days, highway signs were gone. Yet 1 mile north of where I lived it was like absolutely NOTHING happened. They never lost power, no damage. it was surreal. I had no power for 3 days, but was out of work for over a week because my office had no power. It was like someone drew a line across the state and said - only affect those on this side of the line. It can be that close and be that much of a different affect.

I can tell you from personal experience - we took a direct hit with Hurricane Charlie at my house. Power poles were down all over, no power for days, highway signs were gone. Yet 1 mile north of where I lived it was like absolutely NOTHING happened. They never lost power, no damage. it was surreal. I had no power for 3 days, but was out of work for over a week because my office had no power. It was like someone drew a line across the state and said - only affect those on this side of the line. It can be that close and be that much of a different affect.

This exactly. Castaway is south of Elbow Cay and Marsh Harbor (the 2 direct landfalls on Abaco) and so did not have the brunt of the eye and eye wall. And as a rule, for a storm moving west, the north side of the storm is going to be the worst.

6A37E094-04AF-4C61-BAF4-347C24D971AC.png
Has anyone seen this Carnival post. This makes me worry about my cruise on the Dream on Sept. 16. We are supposed to go to Nassau and Castway Cay. Are we gonna be able to stop at either one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter