Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

Porting at Castaway yesterday was definitely surreal in a lot of ways and I almost would’ve preferred not to-

The vibe was off- almost like everyone felt it was selfish to have a fun beach day knowing people so close were suffering & had lost everything & passing dozens of relief pallets reinforced it-

The beach never got crowded despite far less umbrellas & chairs, lunch never seemed to have a long line and the whole area seemed very desolate after lunch-

We had planned on taking family pictures after lunch but decided it just felt inappropriate-

Hopefully in time as the trees regrow and things rebuild, the stark reality of destruction gives way to what Castaway used to be-

Just got off the Fantasy. CC was in better shape than I expected, but the greenery definitely took a hit from all the saltwater. Mom had a cabana and was asked a day or two prior to CC day if she wanted to cancel due to damage. Some cabana reservations were cancelled outright due to damage to that cabana (I think all 3 Serenity Bay cabanas, maybe a few on Family beach), other reservations were given the option. Mom kept the cabana and we all enjoyed it. The only damage we noticed was to the greenery, and the cabana beach was very very shallow due to the sand that had been pushed on shore. The water was maybe only a foot deep max. The family beach area was a bit deeper, but much shallower than normal. Our fishing excursion was canceled, as we expected. Although we expected it to be canceled, I hoped that they would still be running... not so we could go fishing, but so that we could employ them for the day and tip well, in the hopes of helping in some small way.

DCL did not collect donations from cruise passengers, but they did unload many pallets of water, supplies and generators to go to The Bahamas.

There was definitely an "off" feeling on the island, and it was less crowded than I've seen it before. Mom got a golf cart ride to the cabana and her driver was from Abaco. He said things were very bad at home. She gave him a substantial tip that he seemed to appreciate very much. We heard rumors of another CM who was from Abaco that had lost 12 family members. On one hand it is important that they get some normalcy back and keep working, but on the other hand, it was upsetting to be there vacationing when so many were hurting.

In any event, CC was open. Some attractions/areas were closed, but enough was up and running to have a full day. In addition, Fantasy docked 2 hours late due to the current tropical storm, unrelated to the prior hurricane damage.

Thank you for your post updating everyone on Castaway Cay. It must have been so bittersweet. To be there enjoying your day knowing full well the hurt of others so close by.

We will be there in a few weeks. Hope to be able to enjoy Castaway Cay but will also be praying for the people of The Bahamas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter