Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

To all that's been waiting,
First - thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
Our daughter called yesterday afternoon and was going to the evaluation shelter.
Just heard the news from the weather channel about everyone being safe.
Will update here when I hear from her, hopefully very soon.
Thanks again
Thats great news

Guys, the reason the last thread was shut down was because of blame and speculation over Disney, their decision, and how that affected the CM safety. Let’s keep it to specific updates on the status of the island, please.
My post was factual, not judgemental. No speculation. Just comparing Disney's statements with what happened. I was reacting to the poster who said Disney knew what they were doing and wasn't rolling dice.

Sorry weather forecasts can't predict where a storm is going to hit land with an accuracy of less then 50 miles.

A moderator can delete my post.

I'm sure having some CMs stay behind will speed up clean up and rebuild.

Yeah this.
Let's just comment/read on what is being reported and not flame.
I for one am glad that it seems the brunt of the hurricane seems to be over for CC

Also, I'm intrigued about this shelter/bunker everyone here speaks about
Where is it located? - obviously I've never seen it or noticed it.

I'd love to see a picture of it... I'm just curious.

DCL updated their "weather advisory" page on their site. Can I post a link? Not sure so I'm not.

"Castaway Cay - UPDATED
Many of our Guests have asked questions about Castaway Cay. Some of our Crew remained on the island and their care and safety is our highest priority. As forecasted, sustained winds on the island did not extend beyond tropical force strength and our Crew has returned to their living quarters after spending a few hours in our storm shelter yesterday. Our thoughts continue to be with the people in areas of The Bahamas that are being impacted by this storm and we stand ready to contribute to recovery efforts."

Yeah this.
Let's just comment/read on what is being reported and not flame.
I for one am glad that it seems the brunt of the hurricane seems to be over for CC

Also, I'm intrigued about this shelter/bunker everyone here speaks about
Where is it located? - obviously I've never seen it or noticed it.

I'd love to see a picture of it... I'm just curious.

Of course you've not seen it; it's in one of the cast-only areas. And, like most hurricane bunkers, it's not really good looking or something you'd want in view of the paying customers.

Of course you've not seen it; it's in one of the cast-only areas. And, like most hurricane bunkers, it's not really good looking or something you'd want in view of the paying customers.

I could swear that I've seen pictures online, though, at least of the inside. And no, it wasn't especially good-looking if I remember correctly. Can't find anything now; maybe the photos were taken down at DCL's request. Or maybe they were a hallucination. :)

I could swear that I've seen pictures online, though, at least of the inside. And no, it wasn't especially good-looking if I remember correctly. Can't find anything now; maybe the photos were taken down at DCL's request. Or maybe they were a hallucination. :)
I've heard that they were posted years ago. I also would be interested.

We sailed B2B on the Dream during and after hurricane Irma in 2011. We did not get to CC on the first leg because of the damage to the island. The docking area had to be dredged out so the ship could get in. We did get there for the second leg and the damage to the island was heartbreaking. Irma was a Cat 2, this one is a 5. I cannot imagine the damage the island may have taken this time. The sea water is devastating to the plant life and literally just washes over the little cay.

Where did you go instead of CC? We're scheduled to board the dream next week. I'm just pondering where we might go on our CC day if it's closed?

Where did you go instead of CC? We're scheduled to board the dream next week. I'm just pondering where we might go on our CC day if it's closed?

Most likely an extra sea day as would happen if the ship was unable to dock on any of the cruises.

I also remember seeing pictures taken inside it by a CM and posted to IIRC their personal FB or Twitter page after a previous hurricane. Entirely possible DCL asked them to take them down. The pictures were linked to from one of the online fan discussion forums, so either here or the Passporters forum.

SW

Not only does the island have to be cleaned up. There could be damage to the dock that needs repaired and in order to do that supplies will need to be brought in. And the dock area will more than likely have to be dredged deep enough again to allow the ship to get close to the dock after the heavy tides push the ocean floor (AKA sand and debri) close to the dock area. The island took a direct hit with 185 mph winds.

Castaway Cay did not take a direct hit and did not have 185 mph winds. I checked Weather.com when the eye was over Great Abaco island and winds on CC were 55 mph with 75 mph gusts. Category 1 is 74+ mph winds.

How will we get official word on how the island was affected? Does Disney make some sort of announcement or is it just word of mouth after the castmembers can communicate with loved ones?

How will we get official word on how the island was affected? Does Disney make some sort of announcement or is it just word of mouth after the castmembers can communicate with loved ones?

I’m sure we will learn more when the next sailing of the Dream/Fantasy occur based on where they are going and if they stop at Castaway Cay or not. Disney has been updating their website with info on the storm as well not sure what they may post there. That is one of the reasons I like this thread, the chance for everyone to share what they hear.

Was thinking of castaway cay today and the CMs there. Glad to hear initial reports that all are safe. I’d like to think that Disney would do the right thing and not put CMs in harms way to save a buck.

UPDATE
Just got voicemail from my daughter, everyone is ok. Some damage. Marsh Harbour total damage. Hope to have a video call from her within a day or two. Said to keep the people from Marsh Harbour in our prayers. Still dealing with 30-40 mph winds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter