• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any tips for large families?

also

each family eats at their own pace, no rush. very pleasant, nice service. good food lots of choices. i liked it alot. buffet style. your seated at your own table.

Ballybunion3, yes, yes! I am trying to figure this out with lots of kids. I will definately check out the Unoffical Guide.
I am trying to be well planned because my reluctant husband will be much more relaxed and enjoy (I hope) the trip if ONE of us (me) knows where to go, when to go, how to go, and what's going on! This trip is my idea. He thinks I'm obsessed at this point!

tinktwins, I think I will try to drive to the parks, use the Disney transportation for the ride back/forth to the resorts for naps, then drive back to the resort for the night to avoid the mad rush at park closing. Whadda think? Flaws in my plan?
I tried to make a ps today and found out I can't make them until 60 days (for character meals at a park) or 120 days (for meals at a resort) before my trip....oh. The guy said to start calling at 7am eastern time.....even in late October?

Everyone has been very helpful! I'm going to be a rookie-veteran by the time I get there!

Thanks so much!

Jamie

WHEN I TRAVELED IT WAS WITH 2 YEAR OLD TWINS AND A 10 YO AND 13 YO. JUST BEING ABLE TO GET THEM IN THEIR CAR SEAT WAS A JOY AS OPPOSED TO STRUGGLING WITH THEM TO SIT ON THE BUS. DONT FORGET YOULL HAVE STROLLERS AND OTHER STUFF WITH YOU AS WELL. IT ISNT EASY ILL BE HONEST, BUT TRY THE BUS ONCE, YOULL KNOW RIGHT AWAY WHICH ONE SERVES YOU BETTER. ALSO WERE YOU PLANNING ON USING YOUR OWN STROLLER? I WOULD RECCOMEND THAT. I BROUGHT MY 2 CHEAPO UMBRELLAS, THEY FOLD FAST, ARE EASY TO CARRY ON THE TRAM ECT. PLUS YOU WONT HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE FOR THE RENTALS. YOUR DOING GOOD ASKING QUESTIONS. I ALSO PLANNED MY WHOLE TRIP AND DID ALL THE RESEARCH. IT DEFINATLY MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. I THINK MY DH WAS VERY IMPRESSED AND THERE WASNT VERY MUCH CONFUSSION. I MORE OR LESS HAD A HANDLE ON THINGS. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN ALL YOUR PS CONFIRMATION NUMBERS AND BRING THEM. I ALSO READ A BOOK BEFORE I WENT. I CHOSE THE BIRNBAUM GUIDE THERES ALSO ONE FOR KIDS THAT MY KIDS ENJOYED READING.

I WOULDNT SAY YOU NEED TO BRING A WRITTEN LAW TO FOLLOW BECAUSE THINGS CHANGE, YOU DONT WANT TO BE STUCK TO A STRICK SCHEDULE. JUST BE EDUCATED. YOU DONT WANT TO MISS THINGS. SOME OF THE BEST THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YOU DONT PLAN THEM. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A GOOD CLUE AS TO WHATS GOING ON YOU WILL BE IN CONTROL. I ENJOYED THIS LAST TRIP SO MUCH MORE THAN MY LAST ONE 7 YEARS AGO BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH MORE INFO TO FIND ESPECIALLY HERE ON THE DIS. KEEP READING AND LEARNING !!

Tink Twins,
You have given some good advice. Having said that, I've got to tell you that I'm shocked that you've had as many posts as this and someone hasn't said anything (usually someone tells you after the first post). All caps are really hard on the eyes and it is also considering shouting. Just wanted to tell you so that your posts would be easier to read. Have a Disney day!

Ratow -

First of all - you are going to have such a great time!!!!!!! I haven't travelled with so many kiddies, but have with 3 enough times to have some tips. I just got back from a short trip with my best friend, and her two little ones (1 & 3, girls). Believe me - having two strollers is a LOT to deal with, but you have to have them. Even your 4 year old will want to ride some of the time - so if you rent, you may want to rent one of the double strollers - it will be well worth the money.

We find that we actually don't head back to the rooms midday -- the kiddies are perfectly happy napping in the stroller, and we spend lots of time in air conditioning so they don't get too overheated. She has two light-weight, full function strollers - that way the kiddies can lay down for their naps, have a great shade and we have a big storage bin for all the stuff you have to haul with them. Also, my girlfriend found these AWESOME clip-on fans (I think at RightStart) for the strollers. They were something like $16 a piece and worth EVERY penny. They really moved the air, AND the kiddies loved to hold them. Also, ya gotta go to Walmart and get misty fans. The kiddies will love to play with them, and it's a ton cheaper than getting them at the park.

Listen to the folks who told you to rent a car (if you haven't driven one down - I can't remember if you said you had a trailor or RV). The bus transport is great for adults and older kiddies, but really tough on the little ones. Plus, it adds a lot of time to your day. From the campground you are a MINIMUM of two bus connections to get anywhere. I stayed there in November of '00 and transportation from FW can be tricky - I was glad I had some recent experience, because we all would have been lost! Check on www.mousesavers.com for good discounts on rental cars - especially on mini-vans.

Use the monorail when you can. Also, you can monorail it to Epcot, walk through to the International Gateway to the Boardwalk, and catch a boat to MGM. You can also walk from the Boardwalk to MGM - it's a pretty hike, but a fairly long one. On the monorail and boats, you don't have to fold up strollers, saving a lot of hassle.

Take lots of snacks into the parks - it helps avoid that meltdown. The food thing is a HUGE, as one poster mentioned. We've found that breakfast is especially hard, as not many places serve it, so definitely plan on pop-tarts or something before leaving (unless you have a PS, of course!). Since you have the trailer, you should be set for simple food and snacks - it will save a TON of $$$.

I'll agree again with everyone -- schedule a few things (PS's, shows, Illuminations), but be flexible on everything else. You are gonna have some big fun! If you like Margaritas, I highly recommend getting a couple from the stand in Mexico at Epcot (lime is my favorite) and find a great spot to watch Illuminations (covered in bug spray). That is the life!!!!!!

DisTwix,
Mosquitoes? In FL? I thought they only fed on our Wisconsin blood!!

Seems to be a consenus about the Disney transportation and lots of small children. We are bringing a trailer and it looks like we will try unhitching and driving to the parks. We will have to do ONE trip on the monorail. Mommy..er...the kids will want to!

We will bring our double stroller. The back lays all the way down for the 10month old and the front stays up for the 2 1/2yo. Probably take the umbrella stroller for the 4 yo. But we were thinking about buying a bike/running stroller for bike rides anyway...(and I just LOVE to jog...not!). They seat two kids with a top to keep out the sun. Do you see those at Disney?

Yes, I will be bringing lots of snacks (cheapo me) and eating all meals at the trailer. Am considering a character meal once though.

Think I'll need fans in late October? Wonder if we'll be swimming?

Wonderful ideas! It's great to have this chance to talk to Disney veterans before we go!

Jamie

Yes - Ratow, those mosquitoes loved my North Carolina blood. YIKES - you should see my legs - I am polka-dotted!

I did see some folks with the jogger strollers - and they seemed to work well. I also saw lots of folks with the double strollers. Either or both will be great. Since you won't be doing the bus thing, folding them up and cramming them down the aisles won't be an issue. Trust me, it isn't fun!

The weather in October will be fabulous - I have been in mid October and in early November and both times it was FANTASTIC!!!! You'll need sleeves of some kind for night-time - but other than that, short sleeves and shorts!

Being from Wisconsin and familiar with slightly cooler weather, you'll have no troubles swimming. All the Disney pools are heated! Fort Wilderness has a nice pool area - you'll get some use out of it!!!

Walmart has Disney Fruit Snacks - they are awesome! The kiddies love 'em.

So - keep surfin' the boards and hoard tips and have a great time! I'll be looking for your trip report!

Check you library for the Unofficial Guide book. I found that four weeks was plenty of time for me to wear the pages thin and memorize, copy, or retype the sections of the book I was interested in. You are going to have tons of fun.

I agree with all of the above with one exception.
When my children ( I only have four) were young, they enjoyed the boat ride to and from the Magic Kingdom as much as they enjoyed the rides in the park.
Also, the direct bus to the Animal Kingdom from FW made that trip very quick when we were there in December.
My husband preferred Disney transportation almost all the time. He said it was a vacation not to drive with fussy kids. Of course, ours were perfect most of the time. :)
We also played on the play area down by the beach and marina on our way back to rest in the afternoons.
Also, the pizza is inexpensive at Crocketts and it is good.
We love Fort Wilderness. It was a great place for us with the kids.
I am rambling. But, I hope you have a wonderful time.
We are looking forward to taking grandchildren. :)

Sonya in Boise, my local library is trying to locate a 2002 Unoffical Guide to WDW for me! Thanks!

teachbrooks, I think I will try Disney transportation at least once. I've read the best comments about the boats and the monorail. A DIRECT bus to AK, hmmmm, that may be the one I try. I was most concerned about the mad dash after the parks close.
Glad to hear you like FW for kids. We will be there 5 days and planned to buy 5 day hoppers but I'm not sure if I should plan a day at the resort. Buy a 4 day hopper and have a day at the resort or still buy a 5 day hopper knowing that if we miss a day it won't matter 'cause hopper days never expire?! Maybe if we have a day left on our passes, I'll have good luck in getting my husband to go back.....

Thank you.

Jamie

The one time we stayed at Fort Wilderness with kids aged 5,3 and 3 months, we took the car to all of the parks. Remember that you have to get to the bus with everyone and the stuff and when we were there, it was one bus out of Fort Wilderness, then a switch to the park bus. Not us! One neat trick for that monorail ride - One day we were switching from MK to Epcot and I volunteered to drive the car over while everyone else rode the monorail, but you could also just ride the monorail back to the TTC to get the car. That's a nice, long monorail ride and the monorail does that loop right through future world.

Definitely look for Character meals where they bring the food to you!. Even with three kids, we hate hauling the food back from the buffet and you might miss a character while you are up there filling plates. Cinderella's Breakfast, Garden Grill in Epcot and Liberty Tree Tavern in MK all offer "family style dining." There may be others.

ZURGSWIFE,

WAS READING DISBOARDS TODAY AND CAME ACROSS YOUR POST--SAW YOUR T-SHIRTS!
GREAT TASTE!!

I HAD TO LAUGH, WE ARE GOING NEXT WEEK AND I BOUGHT THE SAME ONES FOR OUR WHOLE FAMILY (FOUR KIDS ALSO)

I GOT THEM AT THE DISNEY STORE FOR 75% OFF, HOPE YOU DID TOO!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter