• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any tips for large families?

ratow

Earning My Ears
I would love to hear how others have managed Disney with large families.

Everyone thinks I'm nuts (including my husband) but the WHOLE family is going to Disney 10/19-10/25. This includes 9yo dd, 7yo ds, 4yo dd, 2yo ds, and 10 month old ds (ages at the time we go). My husband has never been to Disney and I went once when I was in high school (it couldn't have been THAT long ago...!) I don't want to wait until everyone is "old" enough; I want to go now!

I want to make sure that everyone has a good time. I can't see my 4 and 2 yo waiting in line for a ride they can't ride! Any tips for keeping everyone happy? Balancing the amusements for all ages? What about the shows? How long are most shows? I would prefer not to "split up," if possible (I want to be able to see their faces!)

We are staying in FW in a borrowed trailer (driving down from WI will not be a problem as the kids are used to long trips for fishing vacations).

I'm so excited!!!

Jamie

We have 5 also, all boys. Ages 11, 10, 7, 3 and 1 at the time we go *next* in September. I agree about staying together when you can, but I think you'll find there will be times you'll want to split up - just do it later in the week, after you've had a chance to experience the best things with them. Things that have made it easier for us:

Plan what to take. There are many sites with suggested packing lists and I suggest you visit them all. We always do laundry half-way through our visit, but it takes a lot of time so you will want to decide ahead of time if you want to do that. Also plan what you will take into the parks. Don't end up putting everything in "just in case." Think about what you'll really need and pack accordingly.

Plan your itinerary. I wouldn't plan to do any "thrill" rides the first time out. It will certainly split you up and it's highly likely you and the three little ones will be sitting them out. If the older kids can't live without experiencing them, let them go back after you've had a chance to look around as a family.

Plan where you'll eat. This is critical. Nothing is more frustrating than to have unhappy toddlers and babies and not be able to find them something to eat. Speaking of which, plan to bring some of your own snacks (and water!) so you don't have to find a vendor and spend a lot when the little ones get a twinge.

No commando mentality. Enjoy the simpler things, like the pool, the fountains, FW itself. Take advantage of the slower paced "attractions." Take boat rides every chance you get.

Don't assume you'll see it all - you'll be traveling at least 70% slower than you would otherwise. Take lots of bathroom breaks and eat lots of ice cream. Stay for the parades, but probably not the fireworks. Be prepared to take your time, and understand ahead of time that you'll sacrifice efficient touring.

Do at least one character meal. Don't spend time waiting in lines at the parks to see the characters, or everyone will get really cranky. Try hard to get into the castle for lunch, if you don't make it for breakfast. Your kids will be dying to know what's inside!!

Rent or bring a double stroller for the 4 yo and 2 yo - I assume you'll have one already for the baby.

Relax and enjoy your children enjoying the "world."

pwoodham

Thanks for the info. I will try to relax and take it slow (I don't think I'll have a choice!) My older kids have never really been on any "big" rides at any amusement parks (other than the county fair!) so....what they don't know they won't miss!

I was planning a lunch break at FW to relax, nap and recharge then heading back for the parades/fireworks. Is it a hassle to lug 5 kids back for a break on the buses/boat? How long is the ride each way?

I'm glad you mentioned the character breakfast. I've been debating that (worth the $).

Thanks!

Jamie

With kids as young as yours, I personally would not use Disney transportation except as a last resort. Take your car to every park. You'll be really glad you did when some of them are suffering from overload!! We've taken the buses a few times (VERY few) so I'm not an expert, but I know that while the ride to the park was pretty quick, the ride back to the hotel was not (3 or 4 stops before ours). I would not have wanted to do that with a fussy baby or toddler. I've never stayed at FW, but I think they have a boat? that goes to the MK? That might be worthwhile, but remember if you stay until the park closes, you won't be the only ones waiting for the boat!!

I would definitely plan to take a midday break. You will feel SO MUCH better if everyone gets to slow down for awhile. Our strategy has been to get to the parks 30 minutes to an hour before opening time (so we're first up when they let folks in) and see the things that are most important to us then. We do eat in the park, and generally leave between 1-3 in the afternoon. We can usually get back to see Illuminations or Fantasmic! before the parks close. The only park we plan for all day is Animal Kingdom. It's usually not open very late and we can almost always see everything we want to in one day.

We're going in September, and will modify our plans according to how long the parks are open. If MK hours are really short, we may plan to stay all day there. We'll have to see how it goes, and it still may not be worth it!

Best to you! I know you'll have a great time!

We have taken our five dds to WDW three times. You will have so much fun! The first time that we went we stayed together the whole time and had a great time. There are fun things to do while some of you wait for others to do a ride. If part of your family wants to go on Splash Mt(alot of fun) there is a little play area near the exit.It is even under cover so you won't be out in the sun. At Animal Kingdom there is a cool playground where the little ones can play if some of you (brave ones)want to try Dinosour. But there is plenty to do together. Epcot is a great place for families.
We also stay at Ft Wilderness. It is beautiful. The boat ride to MK is very nice. Did you know there is a board at this site all about disney camping? You could check that out.
Have fun, take lots of pictures. You could even give your older ones their own disposable camera.

Thank you both! I'm getting some great ideas!

I've never been camping before either so this WHOLE trip will be an adventure.

Camper, the tip about the small play area by Splash Mt. is exactly what I'm looking for. Sounds like you don't mind the Disney transportation.

What is the Dinosaur? I assume it's a ride in AK....

Any opinions on Illuminations (after a mid-day nap)? Is it a free show in Epcot? A friend of mine suggested I skip Epcot all together (it wasn't her favorite). She said it would be great if you had a child studying a particular country or culture. I see you have a different opinion of Epcot and families!

I've read a lot about Fantasyland at MK. Stuff there for 9 & 7yo to do?

Also, what is the show at the FW beach? Fireworks?

I've been lurking on the camping board and the budget board, too.

This is so much harder to plan than a fishing trip!!

Thanks.

Jamie

Hi! I don't have 5 kids, just 2 boys, but on our first trip they were really little (9 months & 3 years) & people thought we were crazy too. We had a blast & were so glad we went.

One thing we've found that everyone enjoys are the water parks. They have rides/areas for all ages & thrill seeking levels. We've found them to be a great place to cool down & take at a slower pace.

Regarding Epcot - we didn't go on our first trip & almost didn't go on our second. I'm so glad we ended up going on our second trip. My kids were only 2 & 5, but they loved it & we ended up going back 2 additional evenings. We didn't do much in the countries, but they loved space ship earth, the giant aquarium at the living seas, & lots of other things in the universe of energy, wonders of life, and innoventions areas. Illuminations is a free fireworks show that's done over the World Showcase Lagoon - my kids loved it. They also liked the parade before the Illuminations.

I don't have 5 kids (what a blessed family you are) but I have traveled to Disney 4 times with a large extended family. My own kids are far apart in age 9 and 2 and we have found splitting up can be a great thing. At first I felt like you I didn't want to miss anything but then we realized that eveyone got to do so much more in a much shorter time. Now at MK at least one morning we split up from opening till about 10:30 or 11:00. My little one and I cover Fantasyland, and DH and older one hit Space,Splash Big Thunder ect. We get the long lines out of the way early and then meet to do the things we all enjoy. Like Buzz,the cars, the tea cups, Country Bears etc. My other tip for you is to use E - Night if available for the older kids. They can do so many of the big rides during that time. That is the night that DD and I head back to the hotel to rest up, as she tires out before big brother anyway, or head over to Downtown Disney to shop for awhile. I do not think your crazy, just lucky! Enjoy.:D

E-night is only available for WDW resort guests, right? Does it only include MK and where do I find a schedule of the nights it's available? We will have 5-day hoppers.

Thanks.

Jamie

I suggest a good guide book like the Unofficial Guide the first time you go. It will give you tons of insight as to what is age appropriate for each attraction. Except for the new midway games at AK and the shooting arcade at Frontierland in the MK everything you do inside the parks is free (that I can think of anyway). So, yes, Illuminations is free. Naps, naps, naps!!! You must get out of the parks each day, even if you think everyone is doing great. In a family that size, someone is bound to meltdown around 7 or 8 pm if you don't! Don't listen to someone that told you not to go to Epcot! One of my son's says it's his favorite park. Illuminations alone is worth the admission, IMO!

pwoodham,
Do ya think it's something in the water here in Texas that causes so many of us to have 5 boys?:D :D :D

Belle5 - I think it's because God lives around here! :D

ratow, E -nights are for resort guests who have any multi-day admission. They are held at MK on special nights. Only a few rides are open: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain are usually included and I think there are a few more but I can't remember. It is after the park closes for 3 hours and costs an additional $12 along with your ticket to get in. They only allow so many tickets to be sold and we have alwys enjoyed the extra time!

DO NOT SKIP EPCOT!! Your children will enjoy a lot of things there and it is one place where a lot of the rides are ok for everyone. There is Space Ship Earth, Elllen's Energy ride, The Living with the land boat ride and several boat rides in WS just to name a few. I would get that guide book that Belle 5 mentioned and share it with the whole family. Everyone can get ideas on what they want to see the most. Your oldest two would love some of the "trill rides". Most of disney trill rides are not that wild. Bet they will love all the mountains at MK and Test Track.My DS(9) will do everything at all the parks now. We have had excelent luck with the DW transportation system, but we have not traveled with children as young as yours. We will have a toddler next trip so we will see what happens.Have a blast. Five kids at WDW means Five times as much fun!!!!

Jordan's mom

Thank you, thank you everyone! My husband says I'm obsessed with planning this trip! I'm taking notes like mad and printing out tons of stuff.

I know I can't see it all but I want to eliminate the attractions that won't work/interest our family. Because I'm a cheapsmack (I'm apalled that it will cost us $1,000 just to get in, and two kids are FREE!!!), I tend to plan everything out to get the most bang for the buck!

Glad that I got some other opinions on Epcot instead of relying on my friend who didn't like it.

Is there a web site for the Unoffical Guide?

Besides being new to Disney, I've never posted anything on a board before the DISboards! It's fun!

Jamie

I don't have 5 but I have been doing the world with four for 5 years now.....my youngests first trip was when she was 3 months old...We did all of the parks....and enjoyed every park...Mid day breaks where the most important part...FRS radios also are a good thing...If the older kids and mom or dad what to go on a ride that isn't for the little ones you can split up and still find each other....

Fantasyland is for everyone It is one of my favorite areas...water and snacks are imparative to bring with you....

If you have never camped before....Pixe Dust......I never have and I don't think I would survive a week with my family ....

Don't miss Epcot....it is truley wonderfulll yes even the countries....

Have fun and go slow is also go advice with small chlidren....

zurgswife, thanks for the tips! Is "pixie dust" Disney-speak for good luck? (I'm still learning all the jargon WDW veterans use!)
Jamie

WE WERE JUST IN WDW IN APRIL. ME DH DS 13, DS 10 , AND TWINS AGE 2. WE VISITED ALL PARKS. AK JUST ONCE, EPCOT TWICE, WHICH I WOULD AGREE, DONT SKIP THIS. TRY TO PLAN IT FOR NAP TIME MAYBE BECAUSE ITS SO PRETTY TO WALK AROUND AND ITS VERY PEACFULL. ALSO THERE ARE A FEW PLACES WHERE YOU COULD LET THE LITTLE ONES OUT TO FEED THE DUCKS THATS WHAT WE DID. RIGHT OUTSIDE WHERE THE MCDONALDS STAND IS. WE GRABBED A SNACK AND WE STOOD NEAR THE WATER AND MY LITTLE ONES REALLY ENJOYED SEEING THE BOAT AND FEEDING THE DUCKS. IT WAS A NICE LITTLE REST.

BURN OFF SOME ENERGY IN THE PLAYGROUND AT MICKEYS WHILE THE OLDER ONES GO ON BARNSTORMER. MAKE SURE YOU GO VISIT ALL THE CHARACTERS INSIDE.

ALSO POOHS BREAKFAST AT CRYSTAL PALACE WAS AWESOME, JUST GOT PICS BACK AND THE LOOK ON MY DH FACE WAS PRICELSESS, FIRST MORNING IN MK 810 PS THEN GOT ON SMALL WORLD, SNOW WHITE, PETER PAN ECT. WITH NO WAIT. ITS AWESOME TO BE IN THE PARK BEFORE IT OPENS, ESPECIALLY ON YOUR FIRST MORNING. HIGHLY RECCOMEND THAT

ALSO LTT FOR A LATER DINNER, THE CHARACTERS WERE AT OUR TABLE AT LEAST 10 TIMES, I DID 2 ROLLS OF FILM. DINNER PS WAS FOR 830 PM. WE DID IT LATE BECAUSE THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN E-NIGHT BUT WAS CANCELLED BUT DINNER WAS WORTH IT.

DROVE OUR RENTAL ALWAYS!! TOOK BUS ONCE TO MICKEYS BBQ, WOULD NEVER TAKE BUS AGAIN WITH TODDLERS AND WOULD NOT DO BBQ WITH LITTLE ONES EITHER, THAT WAS AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

BRING DISPOSABLE SIPPY CUPS FROM HOME FOUND AT TARGET, ALSO SQUISH DIAPERS INTO YOUR SUITCASE, EXPENSIVE IN THE PARK. OH DEFINATLY GO TO THE BABY CHANGING STATION IN MK FOR THE DIAPER CHANGES, ITS QUIET AND COOL AND IF YOU NEED STUFF THEY GOT IT!

GOOD LUCK
CHRISTINE

tinktwins, so if you have ps at 8:10am at Crystal Palace (which is before the park opens) they just let you stay in the park and start going on rides???? That would be worth the $$! How long do the character meals last? Do they usher in one herd, feed you, then everyone exits or is it more like a resturant where tables come and go individually?

I am wondering how long it would take us to drive our vehicle back and forth to the parks from FW vs. taking Disney transportation....

Thanks.

Jamie

RATOW-

Sounds like you could use a little guidance with planning with kids.
The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (Bob Sehlinger) is an
excellent source of information. Don't get too wrapped up in the
touring plans - just use them to your benefit & skip what
you don't want to see. You can get the guide at Barnes & Noble
any other major book store, or Amazon, etc. Costs about $16, but
is the best $$ you can spend on preparing for your trip of a lifetime!

Best advice I ever got - relax, have a plan, but let things happen
as naturally as you can - you'll have a magical time!

jamie

we got in about 815 and didnt finish eating till a bit after 9. we didnt want to rush it was our first character meal and our first morning in the park. but you do get a head start as at that point you have passed through the main gates and security ect. so you have a jump on any type of lines. it is well worth it at least once. my twins are big pooh fans and thats whos at cp

i would say driving around in your own car would probably be fastest. we only took the monorail once, we like the ferry much better and less of a wait especially at night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter