any Pros to MB if you don't plan to finance?

Originally posted by patsal
What I meant by not paying dues on the MB points is that 2002 is over and you would not pay dues for that year. Sorry about that confusion!

I don't think that you caused any confusion. Just as both you and CarolMN indicated, if you purchase DVC now you do not pay any dues for 2002, and pay prorated 2003 dues. You receive 2002 points, pay zero dues for those points. You pay dues for whatever portion of 2003 calendar year remains, but get full 2003 points.

Just as in the last year for DVC everyone will pay a full year's dues, and receive a full quota of points, regardless of what use year they have. Dues are for the calendar year, not for the 12 month period of your use year.

Originally posted by FredS
I don't think that you caused any confusion. Just as both you and CarolMN indicated, if you purchase DVC now you do not pay any dues for 2002, and pay prorated 2003 dues. You receive 2002 points, pay zero dues for those points. You pay dues for whatever portion of 2003 calendar year remains, but get full 2003 points.

Just as in the last year for DVC everyone will pay a full year's dues, and receive a full quota of points, regardless of what use year they have. Dues are for the calendar year, not for the 12 month period of your use year.
We disagree. Dues are for a calendar year which is 12 months, not for the use year points. Assuming full points the last use year, the points should be only for the number of months until the end of the use year.

okay, i think i've confused myself again after reading all the prorated dues stuff.
anyway, i'll get back to that later...

for now, i just wanted to ask if the following scenario would be a good case for choosing to buy 150pts of BCV w/ MB through DVC some time in next few months:

if the following were true:
  1. my next WDW vacation would be in Dec 2003, requiring about 200 points.
  2. the two DVC properties i'm most interested in are BCV and BWV
  3. i plan to pay for the contract in full in cash up front
  4. the next vacation after 2003 would probably be in Oct 2004 requiring about 85 points
  5. future vacations after that would be between Oct and Feb... probably once a year, twice if able to. (what use year is best? Sept 2002?)[/list=1]
    also, if someone can take this example and explain again, how the prorated dues would work, that would be really helpful! sorry, i thought i was understanding, but now i'm lost again...

That seem like an appropriate scenario. For 150 points, it doesn't seem worth it for you to worry about a BWV resale unless getting the standard view rooms are a big deal. A Sept or Oct use year should work well for you and would qualify for the MB since it's be more than 6 months out assuming you move quickly, esp for Sept.

Assuming you purchase now, my understanding is you'd pay dues prorated from the day you sign (not the closing date) for the rest of the year. Then in Jan of next year, you'd have 8 months of dues for the rest of the 2003 use year and 4 months of the 2004 use year (assuming a Sept use year). This is how it's been for a long time but recently some have reported getting even a better deal on the dues for the purchase year, I'd call your guide to be certain.

Originally posted by Dean
We disagree. Dues are for a calendar year which is 12 months, not for the use year points. Assuming full points the last use year, the points should be only for the number of months until the end of the use year.

I re-read my post, thinking perhaps I had a typo, but I also said that dues are for a calendar year, not for use year, so I don't understand how we disagree. And I don't understand your second sentence at all? Are you trying to say that in 2042, if your use year is, for example, January, you will only pay for one month of dues?

Originally posted by FredS
I re-read my post, thinking perhaps I had a typo, but I also said that dues are for a calendar year, not for use year, so I don't understand how we disagree. And I don't understand your second sentence at all? Are you trying to say that in 2042, if your use year is, for example, January, you will only pay for one month of dues?
Fred, the way I read your post was that the dues paid in January were for the 2003 use year and points. If I misunderstood, I apologize. The dues paid in Jan are for X number of months of your Jan use year and the rest of the year for 2003. Assuming one gets all the points the last use year (big assumption), one would pay 1 month of dues. I'm sure the points will be prorated the last year or 2 and the dues then as well.

Originally posted by randy55
I'm getting confused over prorated dues.

Last week, I purchased 200 points with a June use year. I used MB for the 2002 use year points and I'll get another 200 points in June 2003. I believe I'll have to pay prorated dues on just the 2003 use year points. Since the 2002 dues calendar year has passed there will be no dues on the 200 points that I sold back from the 2002 use year. Am I understanding this correctly?

Has anyone else purchased points in 2003 and had to pay dues on the 2002 points?

Thanks

The dues will be prorated from the time of purchase until the end of the year regardless of your use year. Dues are always based on the calendar year- not on the use year.

In this case, you will pay no dues for 2002 and will pay 2003 dues prorated from last week (about 10 1/2 months) on 200 points. In 2004, you will pay dues on 200 points due in January for the entire year.

If you purchased a contract in late November, you'd owe only about 1 month of prorated dues for that year and then a full year of dues in January for the subsequent year. The use year is irrelevant when it comes to annual maintenance fees.

If there is a circumstance where you would get no points from the last year- dues would be prorated from the time you'll actually get the points (this occured during 2002 for those who purchased add-ons at BCV.) At this point, that scenario won't occur again until/when/if presales are offered at SSR.

Enjoy!

ok, i was thinking about the difference between doing MB w/ Disney @ $74/pt essentially vs. getting a resale.

i've read here and there that general opinion is: because of the closing costs, it might actually be better to go w/ Disney.

the thing is, OKW or even BWV are looking more appealing to me now. (after i ran some more numbers, taking into account the potential lower point cost for stays)... in other words, my opinion has changed about my resort preferences, and now i'm thinking i would be fine with a contract at either OKW, BWV, or BCV.

so, in theory, couldn't a OKW resale be a better value even if it was selling at a higher price of... oh, say $72/pt or something?

what about if it was going for the same price as Disney MB? $74/pt?

When we bought we also paid upfront. But we did choose to do magical beginnings. We bougth at a time when we had already made our trips for the year and knew we would be waiting before we came back. So we took advantage of the financial incentive of MB and gave up the first years points since we knew we wernet useing them. Also, we knew that we could borrow from the following year if we changed our minds. The way we saw it a discount is a discount!

HTH,
Sara

Originally posted by disneyberry
ok, i was thinking about the difference between doing MB w/ Disney @ $74/pt essentially vs. getting a resale.

i've read here and there that general opinion is: because of the closing costs, it might actually be better to go w/ Disney.

the thing is, OKW or even BWV are looking more appealing to me now. (after i ran some more numbers, taking into account the potential lower point cost for stays)... in other words, my opinion has changed about my resort preferences, and now i'm thinking i would be fine with a contract at either OKW, BWV, or BCV.

so, in theory, couldn't a OKW resale be a better value even if it was selling at a higher price of... oh, say $72/pt or something?

what about if it was going for the same price as Disney MB? $74/pt?
It depends. Assuming 200 points, the same points once things are said and done and $450 closing with an OKW price of $70 pp; One is still coming out about $350 ahead. Is that enough to be worth it, that depends on what you want. The lower points of OKW and BWV along with the lower fees of OKW make both atractive for the right propective buyer. The price savings alone is not enough to justify the meager savings but the other issues and the fact you may get significantly more points with the resale than through DVC using MB may make your determination easier. You can also ask seller to pay closing, increasing your savings to $800 in my example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter