Any other Curves for women members here?

Lol, Lunarlady! Here, I didn't think anyone would catch on that I was trying to avoid that squat machine!;) I went tonight and talked with the owner and I don't think I've been doing it quite right! Keep up the good work ladies!!! My measurements will be taken in 9 days for the 1st time. Will have to let all of you know if I'm on my way to that hourglass figure! Lol:D

After reading this thread several times over the past two weeks or so, I decided to go and check it out. Joined yesterday. Made it through the first workout even though I am horribly out of shape. I think this is something I can and will do regularly. Looking forward to going again on Monday. Couldn't get there this morning, but I did manage to walk two miles over at the local mall. Am really hoping that the exercise will help me to control my blood sugar (am a diabetic).

cherylp3 - Thanks for starting this thread. And thanks to all of you who've posted. I'll be checking in to see how everyone is doing - and to keep myself motivated. :):):)

Carol

Congratulations Carol you are on your way! Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!
CC

I just found this thread today, and checked the website- there is actually a location in my town! I will have to go check it out when all this snow clears up!

Okay, haven't been to Curves since Thurs. but did go 3 times last week. Tonight did a 45 minute walk with Jim and I WILL go to Curves at least 3 times again. Goal setting, yeah that's it!
CC

I have had a heck of a time logging into the DIS! Finally!!! I have really missed the "Curves Women"!!

I started on their 6 week challange today. I will be following the low carb. diet. It is going to be hard for the first two weeks, but I am going to do it! I will weigh in every Monday. After two weeks then I can raise my carb. level, so that will be something to look forward to!

It sounds like you are all doing really well! Keep up the hard work!

What is that 6-week challenge, Mrs. Potato Head?
I went this morning, so I am happy with myself, oh the discipline! :D
CC

Our Curves was just recently purchased by two sisters, and they just returned from Curves "boot camp" last weekend. When I went this morning I found out that I had been using some of the machines incorrectly! I think I have fallen into bad habits. Also, I found out from them that there are 4 machines that our location does not have. I know one of them is the oblique. I'm going to try to find out what the others are tomorrow. Anyway, I'm glad they went so that they can set me straight!

Cathy, the 6 week challange is a diet program. Do you have the Curves book. Permanent Results without Permanent Dieting ? I got mine for free when I joined by giving them names and numbers of three friends. I'm not sure if they sell it or not, but when you do the challange they give you one also. It is a great book!

Anyhow, we are meeting every Monday for six weeks to go over the program. There are three phases. I will be in Phase I for two weeks. That means NO carbs other than the allowed fruits and vegtables. No bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, etc. I have made it through day one. It was not too bad. The biggest problem I will have is that I do not eat beef or pork, so my protein choices are limited. I can get really sick of turkey, chicken and tuna! For me this is a mind set. I AM GOING TO DO IT!!!

Ask at your Curves when they will have the classes. There is no additional charge. The support and motivation is great!

thanks Mrs. Potato Head, they are offering a free T-shirt to anyone who brings people in but I haven't seen that book there. I will have to ask around. :)
Thanks!
CC

My friend joined Curves 2 weeks ago and loves it AND I've been reading all of your posts here and I have an appointment tomorrow at 6pm!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Good luck Felicia! You should love it, too!

Cathy, if we BRING in a friend we get a tote bag, two friends a t-shirt, and three friends, I can't remember! Anyhow to get the book, you don't have to bring anyone in, just give names!

I did it!! I joined!!!

I went tonight, signed up, and worked out! Watch out kids, mom's wearing a bikini this summer!!!!

I LOVED it, it didn't even feel like I was "working out", it was FUN. Yes, I sweat and hurt and I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow, But I am so happy that I started it today!

Thank you for the good luck, and I'll "report in" soon! Good luck to you all!!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS Felicia! Great goal of getting into a bikini...keep that though firmly in mind and you'll do it! And an added WAY TO GO! for Cathy! Keep it up babe and you'll be passing Mrs. Potato Head, who's doing so well that I envy her!

Now for the important safety tip:

I found out this morning that the recovery boards are NOT, I REPEAT, NOT! there to keep your aerobic levels up. They are called "recovery" boards for a reason. I was working on the ab machine (Where you keep your arms straight and push down while holding your knees up) and all the lights in the room went out.

Well, actually they didn't go out, that was just my body saying "STOP!!! YOU'RE PASSING OUT! GO TO GROUND!!" I should have known something was wrong when I was struggling so much with the workout this morning and got around 2 times before this happened. (At one point my heart rate was at 180 during the count) But I figured I was just being lazy and pushed myself harder than I usually do and scared the crap out of my instructor.

(I've been here before and know when the "lights go out or dim down" that unconciousness is only about 10 sec away so I just got off the machine and kneeled in front of it until the lights came back up) I think I sweated more during this incident than I have in the past three weeks!

But in the ensuing "What's wrong?" and "What are you doing, are you OK?" I was re-educated about slowing down, not getting an "aerobic workout" on the recovery boards and about how they try to discourage jogging in place and working harder on the boards than on the machines.

This is strictly a STRENGTH TRAINING workout. (Which means I need to get my cardio on the treadmill, not the gym) I also could either be coming down with something or not eating enough.

But I just wanted to pass that along to y'all about the purpose of the recovery boards. I WILL (I promised) take it easier on the recovery boards in the future.

Thanks for the reminder LunarLady.

I know I forget often. The music gets going and I can't help myself. Then the heartrate check come around and low and behold I am a wee bit higher than I ought to be.

They occasionaly put reminders on the white boards at our Curves about the "recovery boards" being for recovering.

Oddly the only time I am good about this is right before and after the squat machine ;)
Seriously though, sorry you were reminded in that way. Glad all is well and thanks again for reminding all of us.

I'm glad you're alive, LL :-)) ) but the Curves here advises you to use the platforms aerobically if you're in shape to do so. Lots of people here get in a "mini-step workout" with them. If your heartrate is within your range, might as well jog! My heart rate never even gets to my minimum unless I do that.

I am so glad that you are okay!!! That is scary. Also, thanks for the compliment! I am not at the stage where I could be envyed, but thanks! I have a long way to go!!!

Our Curves, also, advises using the recovery stations for aerobic purposes if you are fit to do so. That is why it is so important to monitor your heart rate! I need to work hard to get mine up there, but fortunetly not to the point where I have been ready to pass out! Some of the women go so fast and hard on those things. I really am surprised that I have not seen someone pass out, yet. Let's pray that does not happen!

Felicia, WAY TO GO!!!

Thanks for the info on the recovery stations. I'm glas you are OK, LunarLady!

Today was my 4th workout at Curves. One of the workers talked about the heart rate chart, but I really didn't quite understand. Can someone tell me where you should be on the chart? Is it OK to have a rate in the gray column or even a little bit higher? Should I be "aiming" for the yellow column or ???? I'm assuming if it is too high, you need to take it easy for a little while. Is that right?

Also, where do you all take the count from? Throat, wrist, or ??? I seem to have trouble finding my pulse, unless it's really racing :( . Guess I'll just have to practice.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I like the workouts once I get there. The hardest part is just getting myself into the car to actually go!

CarolMN, I am really not sure but I think that as long as you don't go over 90% you are okay. I would ask! As far as your pulse goes, I find mine most easily on my neck, just below my ear. Once you find it, it should be easy to always find. It is hard to find it at first. Also, do not use your thumb to take it, as your thumb has a pulse and you won't get an accurate count. I use my pointer and middle finger.

Carol:

You should be aiming for the "yellow" part of the chart. Since I'm 37 and fall between 35 and 40, my heart rate shouldn't be above 22-21. I typically fall on that during my usual workouts, sometimes higher (right after the ab machines or squat machines).

Like I said before, though, for some reason today it was a struggle (Monday I had no problems) and I should have realized what was going on before I pushed myself harder than necessary. Good thing our bodies will MAKE us stop if we go too far, huh? :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter