Any of you getting your flights cancelled over Max?

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
have any of you had a flight to disney cancelled over the max airplanes being grounded. I am mostly curious about SWA, but honestly all airlines.

I think all airlines have eliminated 737 MAX flights from their schedules through early November. You'll have to check individual airlines for details.

But yes, it's been a huge disruption for airlines who had 737 Max aircraft, and SWA was one of the most affected.

Yes they cancelled my flight out of Cincinnati into Chicago. Had to rebook out of Louisville to make the time work. So far my return from Chicago into Cincinnati has not been changed 🤞🏻

Last edited:

Only 3 US airlines operate the MAX SWA being the largest with 34 in their fleet. United and American are the others and each have less than 20 of the planes in their fleet. I'm sorry for those that have been impacted by this. Hopefully SWA does their best to accommodate everyone affected.

When the plane returns to service it'll be the safest plane in the sky because of all the scrutiny and I personally will fly on it any day. They could return it to service today and I'd be confident to fly on it. While 2 accidents is too many, think about the thousands of flights and flight hours that the MAX had before the accidents without incident.

Currently, my DEN-MCO flight in October hasn’t changed. I also have a Cancun - LAX in November which is still peachy too. Both Southwest

Last edited:
In April our return flight was changed from 12:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. which necessitated a 3:00 a.m. Magical Express pickup (something I go out of my way to avoid for obvious reasons! 😳). And SWA did not alert us of the change; I discovered it by chance. But at least it remained a non-stop flight.

Our next trip is in 13 days and so far the flights we chose haven’t been changed. Fingers crossed. 😉

When the plane returns to service it'll be the safest plane in the sky because of all the scrutiny and I personally will fly on it any day. They could return it to service today and I'd be confident to fly on it. While 2 accidents is too many, think about the thousands of flights and flight hours that the MAX had before the accidents without incident.
Very good point. But not too sure I would have the same courage as you until after they have been back a bit. But I see your point.

We had our flight from MCO back home (Oct 3) changed last Wednesday night. We, along with our son and his family were all on a flight from MCO to Sacramento, where DW and I changed to a flight to PDX, while they stayed on that plane and went home to BUR. That MCO-SMF flight was NOT on a MAX, but was one of the flights they canceled in order to use the aircraft elsewhere. Son's flight was changed to the only other 1-stop/no plane change option. Our's was moved to a really, really horrible 3-stop fiasco that roughly matched the original times. Neither itinerary worked for either party.
Theoretically, I was supposed to be able to change the flights on line, but ended up having to call. SW customer service was fantastic, getting everything changed quickly (and making sure the EBCI moved along too). I even got a $1 credit on my flight - no one knows why.

The kids are going home as planned, but DW and I took advantage of the situation to add 2 extra days to the trip at no extra cost for airfare (and getting the best flight possible for us even though only full-fare prices are available for it)

Not only did we luck out with the flight, but unbelievably, DVC had an OKW studio for those two additional nights.

While it was a tad frustrating ar first to have plans that have been in place for months suddenly change, I was somewhat expecting it. Southwest is in a difficult situation, but seems to be dealing with it pretty well now, and are trying to minimize the number of people affected. I'm happy with the process and with our outcome.

Steve

Very good point. But not too sure I would have the same courage as you until after they have been back a bit. But I see your point.
I would have flown on them in their pre-grounded configuration. They were still safer than anything 20 years ago, and safer than Airbus about 15 years ago that suffered similar problems relating to pitot tubes that didn't get them grounded (due to heavy political pressure, might I add, the FAA wanted to but EASA didn't back them). Boeing has always been held to a higher safety standard than Airbus or even Lockheed or MD back when they were making transport category aircraft, there's just an impression that their aircraft are absolute indestructible workhorses ever since they built the B-17 and B-29.

Also, the same issues that crashed two aircraft did happen to US pilots on UA and AA and they were reported to the FAA - yet notice those aircraft (5 of them) didn't crash. Better pilot training and rest goes a long way to keeping US airspace and US airlines the safest in the world, with a current 10 year safety record of 1 fatal incident for all transport category passenger flights (the WN CFM56 failure that killed one person). Flying on US air carriers is incredibly safe no matter the aircraft.

We had our flight from MCO back home (Oct 3) changed last Wednesday night. We, along with our son and his family were all on a flight from MCO to Sacramento, where DW and I changed to a flight to PDX, while they stayed on that plane and went home to BUR. That MCO-SMF flight was NOT on a MAX, but was one of the flights they canceled in order to use the aircraft elsewhere. Son's flight was changed to the only other 1-stop/no plane change option. Our's was moved to a really, really horrible 3-stop fiasco that roughly matched the original times. Neither itinerary worked for either party.
Theoretically, I was supposed to be able to change the flights on line, but ended up having to call. SW customer service was fantastic, getting everything changed quickly (and making sure the EBCI moved along too). I even got a $1 credit on my flight - no one knows why.

The kids are going home as planned, but DW and I took advantage of the situation to add 2 extra days to the trip at no extra cost for airfare (and getting the best flight possible for us even though only full-fare prices are available for it)

Not only did we luck out with the flight, but unbelievably, DVC had an OKW studio for those two additional nights.

While it was a tad frustrating ar first to have plans that have been in place for months suddenly change, I was somewhat expecting it. Southwest is in a difficult situation, but seems to be dealing with it pretty well now, and are trying to minimize the number of people affected. I'm happy with the process and with our outcome.

Steve

Glad it worked out for you. That is great.

I am not sure there would be availability for us. We are there at the beginning of December and DVC is booked!! And, we have two different rooms.

I’m keeping an eye on our early Oct flight from MCO to LAS. No changes yet but I see my flight has the option to change with no penalty (I’m not going to). Main concern I have is that I bought flights and EBCI on the day if release to ensure we got as high boarding number as we could. If we have to rebook, I’m guessing our EBCI would be after all previously booked pax.

SW just changed my October departing and return flights resulting in my loosing a full day at WDW. It is what it is. I'd rather that than crashing to Earth.

SW did the same to us on our non stop flight but I called and rebooked flights that worked for us. SW was very accommodating and booked us on the flights we wanted without any extra charges.

My return from DL on August 26 LAX-PIT nonstop was cancelled. It was the only non-stop, they allowed me to switch to SNA with a connection in Las Vegas.

SW did the same to us on our non stop flight but I called and rebooked flights that worked for us. SW was very accommodating and booked us on the flights we wanted without any extra charges.
I rebooked just fine. But they cancelled my arriving flight so I can only get to WDW at 9pm now and their last flight out of MCO to my destination is 7 hours earlier. It is what it is. A small aggravation, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

We are flying SW from BUF (Aug 7th) to MCO and return August 17th. Both were 737. Message from SW says '737 grounded by the FAA. Until they return to service, SW plans to operate flights with a different aircraft type. ' I wonder what type of plane we'll be on?

We are flying SW from BUF (Aug 7th) to MCO and return August 17th. Both were 737. Message from SW says '737 grounded by the FAA. Until they return to service, SW plans to operate flights with a different aircraft type. ' I wonder what type of plane we'll be on?
It's only the 737 Max that is temporarily grounded. They'll probably use a smaller 737. I think most, or all, of SWA's aircraft are some version of the 737. The smaller versions do NOT have the issue the Max's have.

A 737. WN's entire fleet is the 737's, with 512 -700, 207 -800, 38 and MAX8, with additional MAX7 and MAX8 on order.

It's only the 737 Max that is temporarily grounded. They'll probably use a smaller 737. I think most, or all, of SWA's aircraft are some version of the 737. The smaller versions do NOT have the issue the Max's have.
Yes, you are right! I went back to check and we are 737-700:-) I hadn't been following the cancellations, but then saw 737 cancellations and panicked, but realized it's not the MAX 8 flights. Thx

Yes, losing 1/2 hour both ways in August, so not too annoying. But my evening October return became a mid afternoon one. I am very annoyed at that, as it was a direct flight, and while they did give me the direct mid afternoon flight as the replacement, there are no direct flights for the rest of the day. And the only other direct flight is at 5:30am. At least I will have a bit of park time, but not almost a whole day as I had planned. Very unhappy about that one. Any other time, means another night to pay for, and come home early the next day. For now, I am sticking with SW’s replacement flights, all 3 of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!