Any disadvantages booking with extenrnal websites (and not with disney.com)?

daf

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We want to book our stay at Disney-owned resort (without park tickets), and we saw that Hotels.com and expedia have lower rates on Disney hotels than disney.com.
We almost set our minds on booking via hotels.com, when we suddenly noticed that some of the lower rates don't include free parking and other amenities we would never had thought on checking (Which we know are available when booking via Disney.com). So we were wondering if maybe there are some other disadvantages when booking via hotels.com etc. (i.e. - Is parking at the theme parks still free when you book via hotels.com? and so on)

Thank you!

I can't answer your question, but I think you're right to investigate the details(typically where the devil is found).

Anyone know?:earsboy:

I have never even considered booking on another site but we get military rates so I have never really had a reason to try to find something cheaper. That is very weird though.. I didn't know they even booked rooms that way.

I get the exact same price when I run it through Disney. Through Dis direct you only pay one night deposit. Through that site you pay the entire balance up front.

Why go through a middle man if there's no benefit? I haven't had first hand experience, but I would wager a good sum parking and wifi are included regardless of what the site says. They can't exactly block wifi to your room - :) - it's not password protected, just an "I agree to the terms and conditions" type of set up.

I always go through Dis direct because, they're legally obligated to provide magic (Ok, maybe not legally) whereas third-party sites are not. The only exception to that rule for me would be a DVC rental.

I get the exact same price when I run it through Disney. Through Dis direct you only pay one night deposit. Through that site you pay the entire balance up front.

Why go through a middle man if there's no benefit?

maybe it's because of the specific dates we requested, but we do find cheaper rates on hotels.com and expedia than disney.com. Plus, there's free cancellation on these websites, so there is a huge benefit.

If you look at the link I added on the second post in this thread, you can see there are two different rates on hotels.com for the same type of room. The only difference I see is Wi-Fi and free parking, which are 'checked' in the more expensive room, but aren't checked at the cheaper one.

The cheaper rate for Courtyard View is exactly the same rate when you book via the Special Offer page, Room Only Discount (25% off at WL for most of Jan 13). The higher rate corresponds with the non-discounted price at Disney.

Again, technically they're not going to be able to block wifi - it's free at all the deluxe resorts. I would bet it's the same with parking.

I think it's just salesmanship at hotels.com. Disney has exactly the same cancellation policy, 5 days no penalty.

There's no difference, except that they require full payment in advance, and Disney does not. Money in your account vs money in their account. This is probably where they make their money.

Hi,

We want to book our stay at Disney-owned resort (without park tickets), and we saw that Hotels.com and expedia have lower rates on Disney hotels than disney.com.
We almost set our minds on booking via hotels.com, when we suddenly noticed that some of the lower rates don't include free parking and other amenities we would never had thought on checking (Which we know are available when booking via Disney.com). So we were wondering if maybe there are some other disadvantages when booking via hotels.com etc. (i.e. - Is parking at the theme parks still free when you book via hotels.com? and so on)

Thank you!

The number one disadvantage is having to pay all your money up front. The second big disadvantage is trying to get your money back when cancelling a trip. The third disadvantage is having to go through them to get discounts when Disney announced them after you have already booked and paid for the trip through them.

Advantages - ? - I don't see any.

Another disadvantage - Disney will not discuss your reservation with you. You will not be able to make changes, add things (DME), make requests, etc. Everything goes through the 3rd party and in my personal opinion sites like that are a PITA to deal with!

Disney offers pretty equal discounts, they just come out closer to the dates. If PP got the same price using one of the Disney discounts I'd definitely go through Disney.

Make sure pricing it out you go to the special offers page, click the special offer, and then choose 'check availability' or the discount will not be applied to the quote.

I haven't had first hand experience, but I would wager a good sum parking and wifi are included regardless of what the site says. They can't exactly block wifi to your room - :) - it's not password protected, just an "I agree to the terms and conditions" type of set up.

I agree 100%.

I booked two nights through hotels.com for the end of our Feb stay, and noticed the difference...I think it's just incomplete info. I fully expect to have free parking and free wifi.

We're using them because we have free (or what hotels.com calls free) nights with them and I wanted the stay to be cheap. :)

I was able to book ME through ME's website (which is given on the hotels.com website way down at the bottom of the main page for that hotel), using the reservation confirmation number hotels.com gave me. I have not, however, been able to get it to show up on disneyworld.com. I plan to contact hotels to get the disney confirmation number (for my records, mainly) and I'll see if I can get it onto My Reservations.

Thank you all for your responses.

I had no idea there was a special offer page on Disney. I knew there was a discount on our dates, but I thought that the normal booking page already includes the discount (p.s. - Why doesn't it??).

By the way, Disney do take all the money in advance when booking less than 45 days prior to the arrival (which is the case here).

And I do agree that if the wi-fi has no password they obviously can't block us, but I still don't understand what the difference is between the different rates on hotels.com for the same room type.

But it does seem like Disney has cheaper rates on the special offers page, which I have just discovered.

Thank you.

I have never booked a trip myself. We were at Disney last year, but it was a Christmas present from my father and he arranaged everything. We are looking at going next October. I had been wondering the same thing as the OP, about advantages of booking with Disney over other sites.

So if I book thru Disney and then the rates are lowered thru a promotion, I can then contact them and get the lower rate? Is that correct? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I know the answer is out there somewhare on this site, I just can't seem to find it.

I had no idea there was a special offer page on Disney. I knew there was a discount on our dates, but I thought that the normal booking page already includes the discount (p.s. - Why doesn't it??).

By the way, Disney do take all the money in advance when booking less than 45 days prior to the arrival (which is the case here).

And I do agree that if the wi-fi has no password they obviously can't block us, but I still don't understand what the difference is between the different rates on hotels.com for the same room type.

But it does seem like Disney has cheaper rates on the special offers page, which I have just discovered.

Thank you.

They won't put it on automatically, probably to try and snag more money lmao. But really, there is usually more than one type of discount available for the same dates and one could save you more over the other. You get to pick if you apply it yourself through the special offers page :D

I have never booked a trip myself. We were at Disney last year, but it was a Christmas present from my father and he arranaged everything. We are looking at going next October. I had been wondering the same thing as the OP, about advantages of booking with Disney over other sites.

So if I book thru Disney and then the rates are lowered thru a promotion, I can then contact them and get the lower rate? Is that correct? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I know the answer is out there somewhare on this site, I just can't seem to find it.

Correct. You'd just call and ask to have the discount applied and they will happily do so.

However, Disney only allows a certain amount of rooms/types per discount. If you booked a certain room, and you go to apply the discount, you may have to change rooms if a) your room type/resort is not included or b) your room type/resort is booked up for the allotted rooms using the discount.

Usually it's not a problem and October isn't a hugely busy time of year. Just try and keep up with the discounts and be one of the first callers :D

Thanks aaarcher86.

Now I just need to decide between the Bay Lake Tower and Wilderness Lodge.

Thanks aaarcher86. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the info out there. I thought this was the case and needed confirmation.

sarahkate60120 said:
Thanks aaarcher86. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with all the info out there. I thought this was the case and needed confirmation.

Definitely lots and lots of info! Happy planning!

For another thing, it means you can't get a package reservation if you book through third party reservation brokers. So you are not able to add a dining plan if you want one.

You WILL have the same general stuff that comes with any Disney-owned resort room - free parking, free wifi, Extra Magic Hours.

1 -- I had no idea there was a special offer page on Disney. I knew there was a discount on our dates, but I thought that the normal booking page already includes the discount (p.s. - Why doesn't it??).

2 -- By the way, Disney do take all the money in advance when booking less than 45 days prior to the arrival (which is the case here).

1. Disney is a for profit company and they are making money for their stockholders. There are a number of people who will pay the rack rate and not look for the discounts like people on this board do. That's okay with me.

2. The 45 day rule is only for packages. If you are booking a room only reservation, you will be charged for one night of your stay. And, you can cancel until 5 days. Packages and Room Only reservations are different. Make sure that when you're looking at the Disney reservation site, you've selected "book a room" as opposed to book a package.

...but I still don't understand what the difference is between the different rates on hotels.com for the same room type.

I imagine (not from working for TAs but for websites that get automatic info from other companies) that they get the "feed" from Disney, and they get all of the room types, and that's what shows up on their site. The Disney pages are among the least "pretty" pages, IMO, and I imagine it's probably because it's two systems not playing well together that that happens.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think is happening.

Generally I would book directly with Disney if the price is the same. However I booked with hotels.com last month because they had a 10% off code on top of the discount Disney was already offering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter