Any current benefit to declining Mousekeeping?

Well currently they are certainly testing the waters with "watered down" housekeeping. (every other day) And they have been doing this before the pandemic at some of the resorts with giving out the gift cards. I do think it will become "the norm" if they can do it less, yet still charge you the same or more. It is a sore spot for Disney because they can't find enough help to do the job because they don't want to pay what they should for such a hard job.

Housekeeping is currently "watered down" because either Disney chooses to eliminate exposure of housekeepers to guests, or their union demanded it.

Opting out of housekeeping before the lockdown was a customer choice, with incentive.

if alternate day housekeeping is effective and results in the same level of cleanliness and does not overburden Cast Members, maybe Disney will make it permanent.

Disney can't get enough CMs to perform housekeeping not because they are unwilling to pay, but because there is currently no College or International program.

Housekeeping is the heart of every hotel. It is the ONLY position that is truly needed. You can eliminate front desk, dining, valet, etc, but a hotel NEEDS housekeepers. No one is going to rent a dirty room or clean it themselves. And there is no way someone will pay extra to have a clean room. That's a good way to shut a hotel down. For most people, daily service is not really needed, but housekeeper serve as an eye on the room. They check for damage, burned out light bulbs, etc. Even with opting out of housekeeping at WDW, they still came in every few days.

Housekeeping is currently "watered down" because either Disney chooses to eliminate exposure of housekeepers to guests, or their union demanded it.

Opting out of housekeeping before the lockdown was a customer choice, with incentive.

if alternate day housekeeping is effective and results in the same level of cleanliness and does not overburden Cast Members, maybe Disney will make it permanent.

Disney can't get enough CMs to perform housekeeping not because they are unwilling to pay, but because there is currently no College or International program.
But before the demise of the college program and well before the virus they had this issue getting people to fill the housekeeping roles. And getting housekeeping every other day verses every day is a 50% cut in the service, now with no incentive. Yes, the virus is somewhat to blame and I can see the need to try to help eliminate the spread, but this could very well become a permanent change after all this is over. This along with numerous other changes that Disney can use to help their bottom line.

Before the virus and the demise of the college program, when they were offering you a gift card for nights you refused housekeeping, it was only at value and moderate resorts, right, not at deluxe hotels?

but this could very well become a permanent change after all this is over.
Could. Could not. Less likely that it won't than that it will.
Before the virus and the demise of the college program, when they were offering you a gift card for nights you refused housekeeping, it was only at value and moderate resorts, right, not at deluxe hotels?
Yes.

Could. Could not. Less likely that it won't than that it will.

Yes.
Will be interesting to see. I think it could become the norm, but maybe not at Deluxe hotels? I think they will be in overdrive with paying for what was once free, budget cuts, ect due to the COVID. And I get that they will need to try to recover best they can as like any other company, but Disney may have a harder time doing so. The only reason I booked a possible stay in December at a Disney resort is I have close to three grand in DGCards. If it were not for that, and I had it in cash, I would be going else where I think.

They started the gift card incentive at the Poly earlier this year before the shut down started.

We opted out of housekeeping at POFQ and it was kind of frustrating because when we needed towels, conditioner etc. we waited and waited. I finally went out and found a housekeeping cart and asked for what we needed.
i wasn’t sure what to do with the trash and dirty towels. What do you do with them?

We opted out of housekeeping at POFQ and it was kind of frustrating because when we needed towels, conditioner etc. we waited and waited. I finally went out and found a housekeeping cart and asked for what we needed.
i wasn’t sure what to do with the trash and dirty towels. What do you do with them?
I bring my trash out daily to the nearest garbage receptacle and I drop my towels off at a maid’s cart.

My friend stayed at CR Tower last weekend and they opted out of housekeeping. They were not given a gift card or any incentive. They are DVC members are are used to not having daily service. They had to hunt down some tissue boxes because neither of their rooms had them and I think they just called for extra towels and toiletries as the pump bottles were removed. My friend's dad forgot his tooth brush and they were kind to give him one (that normally you would get when staying club level.)

Housekeeping is a form of maintenance really. It's as much in the hotel's best interest as the customer's because it's generally more cost effective to stay on top. Too infrequent often increases damage or efforts to remedy. Plus people take cues so less likely to treat a well maintained room poorly. Shabby doesn't attract higher paying guests. A separate added fee would upset all of this.

The rebate system worked because psychologically a credit sent the message of being compensated for keeping your own room in order, while an extra fee would result in 2 common negatives-
whack the system out of balance with too much skipping on housekeeping to avoid the charge,
and guests who do pay are driven to maximize the service because they clearly paid extra for it.

There's much more to lose than gain if mousekeeping was made to 'feel' like an optional extra expense. Moving it out of the default category invites more problems than it's worth; not a low hanging fruit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter