Antics of the Orange Banded Monkeys: Heartbreaking News June 2017

As long as he's not being taxed to use the toilet seat all will be grand! Lol

Tales of a Second Generation Hoarder

Neighbor calls me the night before Easter. "Do you have any extra plastic grass for a basket?" "Of course!"

Friend texts me to ask if I have a coffee carafe she can borrow for Easter dinner "Do you want white, black or stainless steel- I have two of those"

and finally, what goes around comes around.

I called my dad before visiting him and he said he needed to stop at Home Depot for a toilet seat. Yes, I happened to have just the size and color he needed (it was barely used and clean). Dad, you have taught me well.

:rotfl2:

So awesome Dee, I loved it!!

I thought it was going to end with you busting through the ME bus door and running back into the BC lobby when they had to circle back for the forgotten bag!

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics!! Thanks for taking us along for the ride!!

Jay

That would have been a MUCH better ending.

And I would have gotten away with it, too. If not for that meddling kid!

:lmao:

Tales of a Second Generation Hoarder

Neighbor calls me the night before Easter. "Do you have any extra plastic grass for a basket?" "Of course!"

Friend texts me to ask if I have a coffee carafe she can borrow for Easter dinner "Do you want white, black or stainless steel- I have two of those"

and finally, what goes around comes around.

I called my dad before visiting him and he said he needed to stop at Home Depot for a toilet seat. Yes, I happened to have just the size and color he needed (it was barely used and clean). Dad, you have taught me well.

:rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:There are times when I seriously think we are twins separated at birth! I mean why wouldn't you have several coffee carafes, plastic grass and the odd toilet seat (ok I've never kept a spare toilet seat) hanging about. :confused3:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

As someone who is about to embark on clearing my parents home now that my dad has passed away and my mum has moved in with my sister I will say that I'm starting to reconsider my hoarding tendencies:scared1:

Walk from the Beach Club lobby to the Yacht Club lobby

I timed this during my August 2015 trip- it took me 5 minutes at a moderate walking pace

The entire route is within hallways or covered walkways, but you are "outside" in open air near Stormalong Bay at one point.

DSCF9072.jpg

Cape May Café

DSCF9054.jpg

DSCF9053.jpg

Stormalong Bay, you are in the open air, but under a roof here.

DSCF9055.jpg

DSCF9056.jpg

You come in these doors

DSCF9058.jpg

Looking back

Hallway leading to YC, past Yachtsman Restaurant

DSCF9057.jpg

Captain’s Grille

DSCF9059.jpg

Yacht Club lobby:

WP_20150830_001.jpg

Last edited:

I haven't been on here much since our trip....but just got an email notification and clicked through to these pictures....brings back such wonderful memories! My son (4 now) has been asking, begging, to go back to Disney -- to see the pool! What a beautiful place the Beach club is! Happy Monday all.

I have some very, very sad news to share.

Last week, my dear friend Rebecca (HockeymomR), passed away. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after returning from a family trip to the Beach Club in August 2016. Throughout all of her treatments, she was brave and strong and had a positive spirit. Her mantra was "Just Keep Swimming", and she always had a smile on her face, no matter what struggles she faced.

She was a frequent poster on the Beach Club FAQ forum for more than a decade, always willing to provide helpful info, a picture and friendship to others.

She had many "Disney friends" who were an important part of her life and who will miss her immensely.

I was fortunate to share two trips to the Beach Club with her as one of her roommates. Our friendship extended beyond our mutual interest in Disney. We spent the past few months frequently talking about our day, sharing pictures, exchanging encouragement and love.

The world has lost a very kind soul.

While she was in hospice for her final days, I wrote a letter about our friendship and emailed it to Rebecca and her husband. I wanted to explain how much Rebecca means to me and why. It was healing for me to write about how our deep bond developed throughout the years.

I'll share my tribute in the next post.

:grouphug:

Last edited:

Once Upon a Time, I made an “imaginary” friend. That’s what our internet Disney friends call each other.

Not invisible. I could see her. You could too. You couldn’t miss her. Her beautiful smile is always on her face and lights up the room.

Our friendship started on a Disney discussion board, with two pivotal leaps of faith and trust.

In 2009, I asked complete strangers for pictures of their families at Disney World so I could make a photo album to give to Teena the Greeter at the Beach Club. I promised I wasn’t a stalker. I was amazed at the number of people who actually provided photos to me.

Rebecca replied:

I would be interested. I recently started a new job that is keeping me very busy in addition to keeping up with my home and family. I would like to get some old pictures scanned as we have been going to the beach club since January 2001. I think it would be fun to give Teena a couple of pics of my boys "growing up" at the BC, just need to find the time.

She didn’t get me a photo right away, but she did fulfill the promise 5 years later, when we were at the Beach Club together, during a late night girlfriend giggle fest. She gave me one of her favorite pictures of her two boys at the Yacht Club marina.

For the past few years, there has been a meeting of friends at the Beach Club. I was not able to go to the first few meets, but I attended virtually, in a photo poster, like Flat Stanley.

In April 2014, before we had met in person, Rebecca extended an invitation to join her during a mother-daughter trip.

I am really hoping to go down in August with my mom for a few days and catch the Dis meet! I am totally serious. I know you don't know me, but if you are interested and would be comfortable you could stay with me and my mom. Hope you don't think I am crazy for asking you. Would be great to meet you.

I accepted and I loved telling everyone

“I’m going to Disney to stay with a woman from the internet I haven’t met!”

We forged a great friendship over Sunken Treasures, fireworks and late night chats.

DSCF5079 - Copy.JPG

My favorite Disney moment of all time (not exactly a memory…) followed by the worst moment, was during another trip with Rebecca and other friends for another meet, all within a 6-hour timespan.

I was under the influence of a very strong sleep aid and fell asleep sitting up, holding my phone, thumb extended. What resulted was a series of photos taken while the girls dressed me up in outrageous props while I continued to sleep. I’m not sure exactly what role Rebecca played in these antics, but I do know my kind friend convinced our ringleader not to use permanent marker on me. For that I am indelibly grateful.

In the past few months we have been texting frequently, talking about our day, sending pictures, exchanging encouragement and love. Many nights we would text a good night/sweet dreams message… as we were both readying for bed at 7:30!

Her messages always contained a library of friendly, happy, inspirational emojis. Hearts, prayer hands, swimming fish, flowers, thumbs up, kisses. At Easter, she brought a smile to my face when I was driving and the Bluetooth voice in my car read her message to me, complete with the translation of emojis

“Happy Easter. We went to my parents for brunch. Hatching chick, hatching chick, hatching chick, hatching chick, hatching chick”.

Rebecca loves Disney. She loves her friends with all her heart. Her family means the world to her. She cherishes her parents- I was touched when she told me that she needed to make sure she went to Hollywood Studios with her mom for her mom’s favorite ride. Tower of Terror, I think.

She is incredibly proud of her sons: smart, hardworking and kind, just like her.

Her husband is her love and her rock.

This story does not have a Happily Ever After. There are no answers. Even Cortana can’t help with this one. I am so blessed that Rebecca has been part of my life and I am heartbroken that it was for such a short time.

Last edited:
Dee...what a beautiful tribute to Rebecca. I know that she cherished her friendship with you and Teena, as well as others who she came to know, through her love of Disney.

A little bit of her will continue to live on forever, in her posts and pictures.

My most sincere sympathy to her family and friends on the loss of this bright light.

Dee...what a beautiful tribute to Rebecca. I know that she cherished her friendship with you and Teena, as well as others who she came to know, through her love of Disney.

A little bit of her will continue to live on forever, in her posts and pictures.

My most sincere sympathy to her family and friends on the loss of this bright light.

Thank you so much!

:hug:

Oh no. I'm pretty quiet on here but read daily, and I'm just heartbroken to hear of this sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with Rebecca's family and friends

Dee- what a beautiful tribute to our Rebecca. She was my first BC/YC friend. I will always cherish the memories of our Dis Meets

While I am heartsick, I am trying to remember Rebecca just the way she was- kind, warm and with that infectious smile. I will miss her always

It is so incredibly sad to have lost such a lovely person as Rebecca. I am very glad that knew her, even if it was for only a short time. We shared some of our favorite memories of the Beach Club and found that we had a lot in common. She will be missed. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter