ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

So does this mean that books we started in 2014, but finished in 2015 count as the first this year? I kind of wondered how Goodreads would count it. Coincidently, last year I finished one New Year's Eve eve, and started the next book on New Year's Day morning. Or did you get up at the crack of dawn and read, read, read?

I think so! I started my first a couple days ago but still had a few chapters left that I finished when I went to bed after the peach/nugget drop this morning.

HI!

I would like to join and I am going for 12. I love to read ... but just can't find the time. I am going to start with 12 and hope for more.

I really look forward to hearing what others read. I have read some great books from suggestions on the DIS Boards.

Have a great 2015 everyone!

Goal: 30

#1 The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls
From Goodreads: The Silver Star, Jeannette Walls has written a heartbreaking and redemptive novel about an intrepid girl who challenges the injustice of the adult world, a triumph of imagination and storytelling.

It is 1970 in a small town in California. 'Bean' Holladay is twelve and her sister, Liz, is fifteen when their artistic mother, Charlotte, a woman who found something wrong with every place she ever lived, takes off to find herself, leaving her girls enough money to last a month or two. When Bean returns from school one day and sees a police car outside the house, she and Liz decide to take the bus to Virginia, where their Uncle Tinsley lives in the decaying mansion that's been in Charlotte's family for generations.

An impetuous optimist, Bean soon discovers who her father was, and hears many stories about why their mother left Virginia in the first place. Because money is tight, Liz and Bean start babysitting and doing office work for Jerry Maddox, foreman of the mill in town;a big man who bullies his workers, his tenants, his children, and his wife. Bean adores her whip-smart older sister;inventor of word games, reader of Edgar Allan Poe, nonconformist. But when school starts in the fall, it's Bean who easily adjusts and makes friends, and Liz who becomes increasingly withdrawn. And then something happens to Liz.

Jeannette Walls, supremely alert to abuse of adult power, has written a deeply moving novel about triumph over adversity and about people who find a way to love each other and the world, despite its flaws and injustices.

I liked it. It was well written. I did not like it as much as The Glass Castle (also by Jeannette Walls), but I did find it to be a quick, easy read, and like I said, very well written.

I've already begun my reading for 2015 but it seems I'm behind! :faint:

I'm almost finished with Eleven by Carolyn Arnold. Nothing to start the year off right like a bit of good reading. ::yes::

I hope everyone is enjoying the new year!

Happy New Year! I reached my goal of 100 last year but rarely posted and when I did post, I almost never reviewed the books, so my goal is to do better with both posting and reviewing.

Please put me down for a goal of 85 books in 2015. I am looking forward to Nick Hornby's Funny Girl and Judy Blume's book about the plane crashes In the Unlikely Event

Thanks

I would like to try this year. I tend to read in cycles so if I say 2 per month that would be 24.

I do read books that my older children have read and given to me. My son gave me his Maze Runner series. Do these books count as they are a bit more Young Adult?

count me in for 150, i did reach my target last year but fell behind in posting reviews i will try to do better!

Updated through here! So glad to have all of you join us for another year of reading fun! :grouphug:

I'll set my goal for 32. I'm re-reading the Outlander series, just started Dragonfly In Amber so I still have most of them to get through. I'll skip the last one since I just finished that a couple months ago. Might start the Lord John series after I'm done. Anyone read those, are they worth it?

I'm re-reading the Outlander series too! Although I originally stopped after The Fiery Cross. Decided to re-read before moving onto the later books because I was starting to forget major characters/plots.

It's pretty much up to you. Some people check in after every book, copy a description from Goodreads or elsewhere, then review it. Some people just list what they've read. And some people just post about the occassional, "noteworthy" book and say how many they've read. You do what's comfortable for you.

What she said, lol. :thumbsup2

#1 All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Great book!

From the jacket: What Would You Change?
"Imprisioned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.
Only Em can complete the final instruction. She's tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present--imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside."

Sounds good! I've added it to my list. Thanks!

So does this mean that books we started in 2014, but finished in 2015 count as the first this year? I kind of wondered how Goodreads would count it. Coincidently, last year I finished one New Year's Eve eve, and started the next book on New Year's Day morning. Or did you get up at the crack of dawn and read, read, read?

That's how I count it. I have 2 books that I started in late 2014, but am still currently reading. When I finish, they will count as 2015 books, not 2014.

I do read books that my older children have read and given to me. My son gave me his Maze Runner series. Do these books count as they are a bit more Young Adult?

Definitely! I've read plenty of young adult in these challenges, and so have other readers here. A book is a book is a book....

Maze Runner is actually on m "to read" list.

If you need some inspiration for 2015, check out thread by Simba'sMom which lists everyone's favorite books for 2014:

DISers 2014 Favorite Books

I will also add this to the first post of this thread for easy reference.

Book 1 of 52

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Summary: A New York Times Best Seller! Goodreads Choice Award Winner for Best Fiction of 2014! From New York Times bestselling author of Eleanor & Park and Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell, comes a hilarious, heart-wrenching take on love, marriage, and magic phones. Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply—but that almost seems beside the point now.
Maybe that was always beside the point. Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her—Neal is always a little upset with Georgie—but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go without her. When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts. . . .

Review:
I liked this book a lot. It was a fast, fun book to start off the new year. I read Eleanor and Park last year, and while I didn't like this one quite as much, I really do enjoy Rowell's writing style. For that reason....

Next up: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Well...I'm already starting this year off the exact way I DIDN'T want to. By putting a book I started down. I like Anthony Bourdain and his writing, but I think I may have to read that one(The Nasty Bits) little by little.
I'm not giving up on it, but maybe I'll save it for those times when I only have a few minutes to read since it composed of short essays.

As God as my witness...The next boo I start I WILL FINISH! :rotfl:

Book 1 done! A Christmas Guest, by Anne Perry. It's one of a series she did a few years ago. This one is a murder mystery in a Downton Abbey-like setting. A nice, quick. read for an afternoon by the fire.

Next up, finishing Dark Places.

book 1 HIDDEN BY BENEDICT JACKA
the latest in the alex verus urban fantasy series about a magical world set in London. As many reviewers have said, kind of an english Harry dresden. If you like the dresden files you will probably enjoy this.

Please put me down for 100 books. Many of my favorite authors have new books coming out in the first couple months of 2015, and I am really looking forward to anything by Marie Force, Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, Colleen Hoover, G.J. Walker-Smith, and several more. :)

Count me in! I actually exceeded my goal last year - 52 - but stopped updating my count a little over halfway through :sad:.

Anyway, put me in for 60, with book one done: Stuff You Should Know About Stuff. Amusing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter