Annual Passes at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the new passes got away with that 2099 expiration date and is now one year after purchase in order to activate?
I believe this is correct. Newly purchased AP vouchers are initially given an expiration date 1-year from date-of-purchase. Once activated, the AP expiration will change to 1-year from activation. If not activated within the initial 1-year period, the voucher expires and becomes simply a credit to be applied towards a future ticket. I don’t believe the 2099 date is used anymore. AP vouchers purchased prior to the new system but not yet activated should be listed with a 2099 expiration.

I believe this is correct. Newly purchased AP vouchers are initially given an expiration date 1-year from date-of-purchase. Once activated, the AP expiration will change to 1-year from activation. If not activated within the initial 1-year period, the voucher expires and becomes simply a credit to be applied towards a future ticket. I don’t believe the 2099 date is used anymore. AP vouchers purchased prior to the new system but not yet activated should be listed with a 2099 expiration.
Not quite right, LaneJudy. The 2099 date is still used with the new passes -- but with very specific terms and conditions.

I am looking right at my Pixie Dust "Pass Certificate" (not "voucher). This NEW (not renewal) pass has not yet had first use so it is called a "Pass Certificate" on page 2 of Disney's 10 page confirmation e-mail document that contains all of the official terms and conditions. The "Pass Certificate" has an expiration date of December 31, 2099. The date, December 31, 2099 is shown on my account for this pass in My Disney Experience.

However, the terms and conditions "Unactivated Pass Expiration" on page 6 of 10 states if it is not activated within 1 year from the date of purchase it will expire. Upon expiration it may no longer be activated or have park reservations. Any existing park reservations will be cancelled. No refunds. However, the value can be applied towards the purchase of a new Annual Pass or ticket at the then current price so long as the new pass or ticket purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original pass. The terms and conditions of the new annual pass will apply. (Disney Confirmation Document, page 8 of 10, dated February 2022.)

Not quite right, LaneJudy. The 2099 date is still used with the new passes -- but with very specific terms and conditions.
Must be a fairly recent change. Since AP sales resumed last year, the expiration started showing as expiring 1-year from purchase date until activated, at which point it changed to 1-year from activation. Not interested in the wordiness of terms & conditions, which in my opinion is misleading if it states 2099 as an "expiration" date and then small print states otherwise.

Reality = voucher (certificate) expires 1 year from date purchased unless activated, at which point the AP expires 1 year from activation date.

Must be a fairly recent change. Since AP sales resumed last year, the expiration started showing as expiring 1-year from purchase date until activated, at which point it changed to 1-year from activation. Not interested in the wordiness of terms & conditions, which in my opinion is misleading if it states 2099 as an "expiration" date and then small print states otherwise.

Reality = voucher (certificate) expires 1 year from date purchased unless activated, at which point the AP expires 1 year from activation date.
As of February 2022 the “expiration” date in Disney’s MDE app shows as December 31, 2099. But the paragraph language in their documents gives 1 year from purchase to activate the certificate as an annual pass. The term “voucher” is no longer used at all.

As of today the MDE app still shows the “expiration” as December 31, 2099 for an unactivated certificate.

The “certificate” can still be converted to a credit after the opportunity to activate it has expired. So it is still consistent contractual language. I am not guessing. I am reading Disney’s own language in the written contract docs and Disney’s own website. So I am not just giving my opinion. It is what it is.

Last edited:

I guess I'm glad I renewed ours a month ago. This year was the first year we ever got them, and Incredipass was our only option. I'm not sure we will keep them beyond this renewal, but it will all certainly change a year from now. So am I understanding that I do not need to do anything to activate my renewal pass? LIke I can just walk into the park on the first day of the renewal without stopping anywhere first?

Your pass will automatically start the day after your old one expires. So you will have an active pass & don’t need to stop at guest services to activate it before you enter a park. As @Ms Bibbidi said, you can stop at guest services anytime to get your new AP cards for going into 2023. If your old card still lists 2022, you don’t even need to do it til next year if you don’t want to.

Our family was able to upgrade our Pixie Pass to a Sorcerers Pass. On the MDE app our only option to upgrade to was the Incredipass, no other AP option. My wife called and after about a half hour on the phone, we were able to upgrade. Not sure if this is a new development for 2023 or if others had the same experience...

I missed out on APs when they were still selling, so I’m currently waiting fingers crossed that they put them back on sale at some point in the near future.

I mentioned this on another thread, I had renewed a gold/sorcerer pass in April. Went in Nov. Had to activated pass. CM said for $150 more, they would make it a New AP with the date starting that day, not back in April. Didn't ask for it, but they offered it, and I took it.

I mentioned this on another thread, I had renewed a gold/sorcerer pass in April. Went in Nov. Had to activated pass. CM said for $150 more, they would make it a New AP with the date starting that day, not back in April. Didn't ask for it, but they offered it, and I took it.
Where did you activate it? Regular ticket booth, or guest services?

I'm in a dilemma - we have a trip in April. We also will have a trip in April 2024, and possibly another in Dec 2023. I am really hoping they sell APs again as it would save me significant money and allow for our Dec trip to go on. However, I'm seeing that the ticket prices on Working Advantage and Sams Club are the same prices as when I checked pre-Dec 8 so it appears that they still have tickets at the old prices. I'm guessing those tickets will sell out eventually and price will go up. If I bought them through the 3rd party sites, would I be able to call and have them upgraded to APs if they went on sale before April? Or is that too much of a gamble (probable insane hold times, could they run out of APs before I connect with someone, or maybe they won't even honor the upgrade)?

I'm in a dilemma - we have a trip in April. We also will have a trip in April 2024, and possibly another in Dec 2023. I am really hoping they sell APs again as it would save me significant money and allow for our Dec trip to go on. However, I'm seeing that the ticket prices on Working Advantage and Sams Club are the same prices as when I checked pre-Dec 8 so it appears that they still have tickets at the old prices. I'm guessing those tickets will sell out eventually and price will go up. If I bought them through the 3rd party sites, would I be able to call and have them upgraded to APs if they went on sale before April? Or is that too much of a gamble (probable insane hold times, could they run out of APs before I connect with someone, or maybe they won't even honor the upgrade)?
I’m guessing if/when they go on sale, it’ll end up being like Disneyland and last for about a minute haha. Jokes aside tho, I know where you are coming from. I’ve also got trips planned and am waiting on getting tickets in hopes of APs coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter