Annual Pass Rumors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true. I don't think they will get rid of all types of annual passes, but they really messed it all up right now and are having to figure out how to dig out and how still maximize profits while facing a pretty much guaranteed drop in travel soon (with the current economic trends).
I have this feeling a lot of the passes are going to heavily favored to weekdays. For the top pass due to the lawsuit it's either going to have some blackout dates or priced high enough to limit sales.

The problem of using the park reservation system to add days where passholders could not enter the parks (while still selling spots to ticket/on-site guests) also impacted lower tiered annual passes — not just the “no blockout” pass level. It was/is also a problem at both Disneyland in California and at Disney World in Florida.

So, just eliminating the no blockout highest tier will not solve their legal problem. Switching the APs to weekday only will not serve people who work or have kids in school. Chapek said something about managing attendance as a method so they did not have to raise prices. So, Disney prefers not to drastically raise prices on their strongest fan base.

They have some real problems to deal with in redesigning their AP programs. I really do not know what they will do. I hear they are doing some deep dive surveys and interviews with current AP holders to see what their needs really are.
If they don't really want to change pricing much or change the way blackouts work IMO the only option is to limit sales.

No matter what Disney does, obviously not everyone will be happy. I apologize for actually mentioning a few options that might be under consideration as ways to accommodate local/Florida AP holders and DVC members. I didn't cover every possible variable or type of guest in my post and apparently that unintentionally ruffled some feathers. To those who got upset, I am truly sorry as that was never my intention.

Last edited:

Honestly, I think that Disney should consider limiting annual passes to Florida residents. For out-of-state DVC members, they could create a separate type of pass, a special reduced-price pass that is linked to the DVC member length of stay (possibly requiring that they are staying on site & using their DVC points).

Local AP holders and the current out-of-state AP holders definitely tend to have different needs and use their passes very differently. Locals want the freedom to be able to pop into the parks for dinner, or go for walks in the parks, etc. without having to do a lot of pre-planning or securing park reservations months ahead. Guests from out-of-state are more likely going to plan their specific travel dates well in advance and do not typically need access 365 days per year. But those same frequent visitors are looking for reduced cost per day admission if they visit more than 14-21 days per year total (which is why many of them purchased APs in the past).
I'm guessing you're a FL resident. :)

Honestly, I think that Disney should consider limiting annual passes to Florida residents. For out-of-state DVC members, they could create a separate type of pass, a special reduced-price pass that is linked to the DVC member length of stay (possibly requiring that they are staying on site & using their DVC points).

Local AP holders and the current out-of-state AP holders definitely tend to have different needs and use their passes very differently. Locals want the freedom to be able to pop into the parks for dinner, or go for walks in the parks, etc. without having to do a lot of pre-planning or securing park reservations months ahead. Guests from out-of-state are more likely going to plan their specific travel dates well in advance and do not typically need access 365 days per year. But those same frequent visitors are looking for reduced cost per day admission if they visit more than 14-21 days per year total (which is why many of them purchased APs in the past).

I actually think in the long Run something like that will happen but I think dvc will be included in whatever the higher Florida resident pass.

If they don't really want to change pricing much or change the way blackouts work IMO the only option is to limit sales.
I don't know how they justify building more rooms/inventory while saying they might need to limit sales beyond the current reservation system. At some point there has to be a threshold where there are too many rooms at WDW hotels compared to what capacity the theme parks can withstand. The question then is, do those rooms stay empty if people can't get into the parks or do the rooms still get filled with people who don't care about not going to the parks?

I'm an out-of-state, non-DVC AP holder and I sincerely hope that they don't cancel out-of-state APs. I've used an AP for years. It enables me to come more than once a year and there are often AP room discounts I can take advantage of.

I stay onsite at WDW, have no car, and am in the bubble my entire trip. The AP allows me to sometimes use my pass kind of like a local. For example, I can just stroll into my reserved park and do nothing more than walk around, enjoy the atmosphere, maybe have a meal, then leave. I would never ever do this without the AP. Also, I wouldn't come more than once a year without the AP.

For sure there are other AP holders like myself on the DIS, and we pay a pretty substantial price for our APs. I find it hard to believe that Disney would want to shut us out, particularly since AP holders like myself stay onsite and spend all our vacation $ at WDW.

Just sayin'.

The problem of using the park reservation system with separate availability buckets to add days where passholders could not enter the parks (while still selling spots to ticket/on-site guests) also impacted lower tiered annual passes — not just the “no blockout” pass level. It was/is also a problem at both Disneyland in California and at Disney World in Florida. It is a legal problem for all annual pass tier levels for both locations.

So, just eliminating the no blockout highest tier will not solve their legal problem. Switching the APs to weekday only will not serve people who work or have kids in school. It would throw a wrench in travel planning for those whose trip involves weekends.

Chapek said something about managing attendance as a method so they did not have to raise prices. The tool they invented to manage attendance was the park reservation and separate bucket system. So, Disney prefers not to drastically raise prices on their strongest fan base.

They have some real problems to deal with in redesigning their AP programs. I really do not know what they will do. I hear they are doing some deep dive surveys and interviews with current AP holders to see what their needs really are.
"They have some real problems to deal with in redesigning their AP programs. I really do not know what they will do. I hear they are doing some deep dive surveys and interviews with current AP holders to see what their needs really are."

For DVC owners/members responding to a survey, please reassure Chapek that no matter how many days you stay DVC each year & how many days you use(d) your AP, you STILL spend thousands & thousands each stay on Dining & Merch.

If it turns out DVC is taking from the cookie jar & NOT filling it, I worry DVC could be jilted in new types of APs.

I don't think WDW would be able to fill the coffers well enough if they didn't allow out of state AP holder. Not every AP holder is a DVC member either.

Why would you ever restrict someone to only using their points? Like last month when we down there for a wedding one of our DISer friends they as a couple own DVC but the husband doesn't have an AP at this point because he doesn't go very much, the wife however does and they were not able to get their home resort for as many days as they would be down there so they rented points for the remainder. That would have been a loss of money for Disney if they had told them they could only go for the few days they could use their points for. And they had just become DVC members I believe 2 or so years ago (maybe 3 at this point) but the wife at least had been an AP holder for longer than that. In fact being an AP member is what can get you interested in DVC. TBH that's a selling point there because it's not until you have an AP and go with it, usually at least twice a year that you end up thinking well cost-wise lodging would be something that could be eased up if I just got a DVC. You may not find too many people who are DVC members first without an AP to tread the waters before that.

The problem of using the park reservation system with separate availability buckets to add days where passholders could not enter the parks (while still selling spots to ticket/on-site guests) also impacted lower tiered annual passes — not just the “no blockout” pass level. It was/is also a problem at both Disneyland in California and at Disney World in Florida. It is a legal problem for all annual pass tier levels for both locations.

So, just eliminating the no blockout highest tier will not solve their legal problem. Switching the APs to weekday only will not serve people who work or have kids in school. It would throw a wrench in travel planning for those whose trip involves weekends.

Chapek said something about managing attendance as a method so they did not have to raise prices. The tool they invented to manage attendance was the park reservation and separate bucket system. So, Disney prefers not to drastically raise prices on their strongest fan base.

The existing tiered AP approach with Park Reservations is flawed .. I think they know it, and they don't know how to spin it forward to avoid future legal entanglements, because of course, everyone is watching now. Could it be local tiered APs without Park Reservations at a higher cost? How could they spin non-Local APs on the reservation system with everyone else?

The Only DVC direct perk worth anything is the AP. I do not see them not offering those to DVC members especially since we use them while staying on property. I do see two categories in the future....florida resident pass with different block out periods. Since adding more rides to epcot I doubt they will offer the epcot after 4 pass for FL residents unless they limit to the restaurants there only. DVC AP is a different feature because most dvcers use their AP with their resort stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter