Annual Dues Question

chuff88

DIS Veteran
I haven't found an answer for this that makes clear sense to me, so I'm going to post it here and hope someone can explain it.

I am a brand new member. I purchased 200 points direct at AKL and my contract will be closing around June 20th. I have an April use year and received 2023 points that I sold back to Disney through the Magical Beginnings promotion. I understand that I still will be paying annual dues on my 2023 points despite selling them back. This part of things is all clear to me.

I see that the due date for annual dues is always January 15th. Does that mean that my annual dues for my 2023 points will be due on January 15th 2024? I'm leaning towards doing the one-time payment so that I can get points on my credit card, and CC payments appear to only be an option for one-time payments, but if my 2023 dues are due before 1/15/2024 I'll probably need to do the monthly payments instead. Also, I understand that the payment due date is the same regardless of UY, but for 2023 will I only pay annual dues for April-December 2023? Since I wasn't an owner before April?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm still getting the hang of all of this.

You will be sent a prorated bill for 2023 that is payable upon receipt. You should be able to set up monthly payments online.

You will be sent a prorated bill for 2023 that is payable upon receipt. You should be able to set up monthly payments online.
Yeah, after I posted this I kept digging and realized that's what would happen. How long after closing is that bill usually sent?

Annual dues for 2023 were due by 1/15/2023, regardless of your use year. Since you have just purchase, your 1st years dues are prorated based on when your purchased (ex. (365-180)/365 = 0.506 x #points # $8.8099 for AKV). If I recall correctly, the Disney will send you a dues statement after closing with a due date or you can sign up for monthly draft with a checking account. If you sign up for the monthly draft, you can still make partial (or full) payments with gift cards. Your 2024 dues will be due in January 2024 and you will typically be notified in December after they are ratified at the annual meeting.

Yeah, after I posted this I kept digging and realized that's what would happen. How long after closing is that bill usually sent?
We spread out our payments into 4 installments which pushed the closing back a little, and I think the dues were assessed after closing and we had 30days to pay. But that was a few years ago, so not positive on the timeline.

Annual dues for 2023 were due by 1/15/2023, regardless of your use year. Since you have just purchase, your 1st years dues are prorated based on when your purchased (ex. (365-180)/365 = 0.506 x #points # $8.8099 for AKV). If I recall correctly, the Disney will send you a dues statement after closing with a due date or you can sign up for monthly draft with a checking account. If you sign up for the monthly draft, you can still make partial (or full) payments with gift cards. Your 2024 dues will be due in January 2024 and you will typically be notified in December after they are ratified at the annual meeting.

We spread out our payments into 4 installments which pushed the closing back a little, and I think the dues were assessed after closing and we had 30days to pay. But that was a few years ago, so not positive on the timeline.

This all makes sense! I also have been spreading my payments out, so my closing is pushed back as well. I'm assuming that the annual dues are prorated from the date the contracts were signed and not the date they were closed, correct?

Good to know that even if you sign up for the monthly draft you can still go in and make one-time payments. You mentioned gift cards, can you do that with credit cards as well?

This all makes sense! I also have been spreading my payments out, so my closing is pushed back as well. I'm assuming that the annual dues are prorated from the date the contracts were signed and not the date they were closed, correct?

Good to know that even if you sign up for the monthly draft you can still go in and make one-time payments. You mentioned gift cards, can you do that with credit cards as well?

Prorated from date of contract not closing. You can pay the entire amount thst is due with CC..but if you want to pay them monthly, you can not. Thst is why some set up monthly, but then buy gift cards with CC and use those to pay the monthly payment

It should show up about a few weeks after closing. Just keep an eye on your account. I would usually check every week after closing and eventually it was there.

They calculate dues from the contract date, as the points are in your account and accessible for use from that date, regardless of when you close.

Also even though it sounds as you just have 1 contract you will have to select pay by contract to do Gift Cards and then it will allow you to enter an amount and submit it.

If you set it up on monthly draft, you can go in at any time and make payments with CC (Disney Visa or other), Disney Rewards card, or Disney gift card. You just can't make the monthly payment be charged automatically to a CC, only bank draft.

I assume you are in the US but if not, you have to have a US Bank account to enroll in the Auto Draft.
Instead of a credit card directly with Disney I would use use that credit card at a different location to save a little bit extra by purchasing the gift card elsewhere. The most no hassle method would be using a Target Red card to receive 5% off but you can also buy at supermarkets where they give extra money for Gas etc.

I assume you are in the US but if not, you have to have a US Bank account to enroll in the Auto Draft.
Instead of a credit card directly with Disney I would use use that credit card at a different location to save a little bit extra by purchasing the gift card elsewhere. The most no hassle method would be using a Target Red card to receive 5% off but you can also buy at supermarkets where they give extra money for Gas etc.
I am in the US! So that's not an issue.

The credit card I'd be using is the Sapphire Preferred, so I get double points on travel purchases (which timehshares qualify as) and better redemptions through their travel site, so even though the gift card idea is definitely good for a lot of people, using my credit card directly probably has the most benefit for me. I also have a checking account that gets a higher interest rate if I clear a certain number of debit card charges per month, so the Target debit card isn't a good fit for me and I'm not in the market for another credit card. Plus I only have one smallish contract, so my annual dues aren't currently super high.

If you set it up on monthly draft, you can go in at any time and make payments with CC (Disney Visa or other), Disney Rewards card, or Disney gift card. You just can't make the monthly payment be charged automatically to a CC, only bank draft.

To clarify, you can't use a CC to pay just the monthly amounts each month. I You have to pay off the full balance that is left on a contract or use a gift card for the monthly amount.

To clarify, you can't use a CC to pay just the monthly amounts each month. I You have to pay off the full balance that is left on a contract or use a gift card for the monthly amount.
I checked this afternoon to be sure, and under Pay By Contract, Pay Other Amount, both Disney Visa CC and other CC are shown as options, in addition to the Rewards card and Disney GC. So it seems that they will allow a CC to be used to pay manually. And @chuff88 DVC dues code as Travel for the Chase Sapphire card. We like the Target Red Card 5% discount method.

Payment Method​

You can pay using a Disney® Visa® Card, another credit or debit card, a Disney Gift Card or a Disney Rewards Redemption Card.

I checked this afternoon to be sure, and under Pay By Contract, Pay Other Amount, both Disney Visa CC and other CC are shown as options, in addition to the Rewards card and Disney GC. So it seems that they will allow a CC to be used to pay manually. And @chuff88 DVC dues code as Travel for the Chase Sapphire card. We like the Target Red Card 5% discount method.

Payment Method​

You can pay using a Disney® Visa® Card, another credit or debit card, a Disney Gift Card or a Disney Rewards Redemption Card.

You can pay manually with the CC but you have to pay the entire balance left.
If you try to pay just the monthly amount with CC it will not go through.

I have tried many times. I could go in today and pay my $550 balance with the card on one of my contracts by not the monthly payment $79.

Basically, you can’t go in each month and use a CC to cover the monthly charge.

You can pay manually with the CC but you have to pay the entire balance left.
If you try to pay just the monthly amount with CC it will not go through.

I have tried many times. I could go in today and pay my $550 balance with the card on one of my contracts by not the monthly payment $79.

Basically, you can’t go in each month and use a CC to cover the monthly charge.
Thanks. Since I use the Disney GC and Disney Visa Rewards card method, I haven't had the experience of it rejecting my payment. And come to think of it now, our 2023 dues are paid, so we have no balance to pay off. Maybe it would let me pay with a CC to create a credit toward 2024 dues!

I did a direct add-on in early May. I received an email Tuesday that dues are due by June 15th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter