Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View Rooms Are Not Worth It

Animal Kingdom Lodge is my absolute favorite resort and a Savannah view room is worth every penny to me. I love the lobby and the exotic plants and landscaping by the pool, all the amazing restaurants(pre-covid). We've stayed at Poly, Boardwalk, OKW, etc. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I actually like how dark it is. I was fortunate enough to be on actual safari a few years back in South Africa and loved staring into the black abyss at night (behind some mosquito netting!). While certainly not the same, the cast members, theming, artwork, food and animals almost transports me back there. And then of course I can go ride Rise of the Resistance in the morning.

We enjoyed it pre-Covid, but now is not a good time I think with so much at the resort closed. Biggest issue in my book is that the rooms only sleep 4 so we aged out when our youngest hit 3 years old.

As for complaining about not keeping the animals up at night , all I can say is sheesh.

We enjoyed it pre-Covid, but now is not a good time I think with so much at the resort closed. Biggest issue in my book is that the rooms only sleep 4 so we aged out when our youngest hit 3 years old.

As for complaining about not keeping the animals up at night , all I can say is sheesh.
Did I complain that they weren’t keeping the animals up at night? No. Thats torture. I said its not worth the premium when your view is only half the day of the animals. If you need me to breakdown any more of the review let me know.

It’s hard to pass judgement on any resort considering the current state of Disney. I was there in Dec and other than minimal restaurant choices, it did not disappoint. I will say AKV is worth every penny. The safari is meant to be as close as the original habitat these animals are used to. This resort is a destination in itself. Beautiful savannas, animals, lobbies, pools and arguably the best restaurants on property. As far as paying a premium for a savanna? There’s plenty of places to view the animals all over the resort so I understand that.

We own at AKL and always book a standard room at Jambo that winds up being a partial savannah view. One of the reasons I won't book at Kidani (even with the extra bathroom) is because I know the standard view over there gives me practically no chance of a partial savannah view. The Kidani standard view is lackluster compared to Jambo's and I just can't justify the points for a savannah view.

I'm a light sleeper and always hear the keepers in the trucks in the middle of the night, not just the late night savannah tours but 3am jeeps on the savannah. To me that is still better than the late night or early morning horns on the lake at the Poly or those who had too much to drink at 1am outside of a Boardwalk view but to each his own. So many resorts to choose from, occassionaly you find one that you swear you'll never go back to for one reason or another!

As for animals sleeping, I was told by a keeper that they are allowed to sleep on the savannah if they wish but they are trained and rewarded for going back to their barn at night.

Did I complain that they weren’t keeping the animals up at night? No. Thats torture. I said its not worth the premium when your view is only half the day of the animals. If you need me to breakdown any more of the review let me know.
I don’t get it—if you didn’t expect to see the animals at night, the same could be said of ANY resort—that it is overpriced because its amenities are closed at night. So I could say it was absurd for us to pay Yacht and Beach Club prices that include the premium for stormalong bay because the pool closes between 8pm and 11pm (depending in season). Or that we shouldn’t pay extra for a monorail resort because the monorail stops running at night so we can’t ride it or see it from our window.

I haven’t stayed there in a while but I thought they’ve some type of nighttime ambient lighting? That kept it pretty dark, but allowed some viewing as well. Like a late twilight. I certainly don’t remember it being pitch black after dark, I thought you could still see the animals if they were close, albeit obviously not as well as during the day. Maybe I’m just misremembering. I have only faced the main Savannah at Jambo (Arusha).

I don’t get it—if you didn’t expect to see the animals at night, the same could be said of ANY resort—that it is overpriced because its amenities are closed at night. So I could say it was absurd for us to pay Yacht and Beach Club prices that include the premium for stormalong bay because the pool closes between 8pm and 11pm (depending in season). Or that we shouldn’t pay extra for a monorail resort because the monorail stops running at night so we can’t ride it or see it from our window.

are you purposely trying to misunderstand their posts or do you really not get it? I saw what they meant from the first time I read it. The big draw of a savannah view is, well, the view. So if you can only see it during the day, and at night the main draw becomes staring at blackness, they feel it isn’t worth it. Particularly in winter when it’s dark at 5:00. Particularly if you don’t plan daytime resort time, and leave in the early morning and get back after dark. That’s different from other resort amenities, and every other amazing view on property is typically still Amazing at night, sometimes even better if there are fireworks involved. The way I understood their post, I would compare it to an ocean view in Hawaii. It’s pitch black at night so you woundn’t know if the ocean is there or not. They had a take on it I had never considered before, amd it’s an interesting thought.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with the OP, but I thought their point was well articulated. They also didn’t seem to be bashing the view or complaining, just stating their opinion. (FWIW, read my other post on this, I don’t remember it being pitch black and thought there was still a different but still ok view at night. I might be remembering wrong).

are you purposely trying to misunderstand their posts or do you really not get it? I saw what they meant from the first time I read it. The big draw of a savannah view is, well, the view.
I had the same thought as MomOTwins. I understand what they are saying, but I am confused about what their expectations were. They made the observation after staying there. Going in I wouldn't have expected to have a great view of anything in the dark.

AKL is an amazing resort. I never had the desire to stay there but on my quest to stay at every resort it needed to be done. I was very impressed! The grounds were beautiful, the pool was great and lots of food options. I had read about the distance from the parks being an issue but it really didn’t bother us. We did book standard and got a partial view. I would only stay in the future with Savannah view. I was jealous of those with the full view. We could see the animals but they weren’t as close as I would have liked and it was mostly dirt and fencing. I can’t remember it being very dark at night or being disappointed I couldn’t see the animals so I guess it was a non issue for us. Biggest negative was the room seemed very far away. Like the hallways were never ending lol.

I agree the Savannah view is probably not worth it if you don't plan to spend much time in your room during daylight hours. Last time I was there, I had a 7mo baby and it was great to sit on the balcony while baby napped. If someone is trying to be budget-conscious, I probably wouldn't choose this as the most important splurge. There are plenty of other places in AKL to look at animals.

AKL is an amazing resort. I never had the desire to stay there but on my quest to stay at every resort it needed to be done. I was very impressed! The grounds were beautiful, the pool was great and lots of food options. I had read about the distance from the parks being an issue but it really didn’t bother us. We did book standard and got a partial view. I would only stay in the future with Savannah view. I was jealous of those with the full view. We could see the animals but they weren’t as close as I would have liked and it was mostly dirt and fencing. I can’t remember it being very dark at night or being disappointed I couldn’t see the animals so I guess it was a non issue for us. Biggest negative was the room seemed very far away. Like the hallways were never ending lol.

LOL at the never-ending hallways... I remember we got to the lobby once and DH had forgotten something in the room, he was like, "see you in 30 minutes.".

I had the same thought as MomOTwins. I understand what they are saying, but I am confused about what their expectations were. They made the observation after staying there. Going in I wouldn't have expected to have a great view of anything in the dark.
I do a lot of research, reviews and YouTube videos before a trip so all the stuff I read and saw didn’t mention anything about not seeing anything including the animals at all at night and I didn’t really think about it. When I got there it was kind of jarring because its not just dark with some ambient light so you can kind of see some animals or even the beautiful savannah and trees, it’s pitch black. Like if you were in a room with lights off and no windows. Any other view you pay for whether it’s a lagoon view or boardwalk view, even pool views, there are ambient lights or some sort of glow where you can sit on the balcony and see something. Here you just see darkness. You see nothing. Not just animals. You see NOTHING. So I wanted to let people know to be aware who are planning and haven’t been before so they can be prepared and make informed decisions.

I do a lot of research, reviews and YouTube videos before a trip so all the stuff I read and saw didn’t mention anything about not seeing anything including the animals at all at night and I didn’t really think about it. When I got there it was kind of jarring because its not just dark with some ambient light so you can kind of see some animals or even the beautiful savannah and trees, it’s pitch black. Like if you were in a room with lights off and no windows. Any other view you pay for whether it’s a lagoon view or boardwalk view, even pool views, there are ambient lights or some sort of glow where you can sit on the balcony and see something. Here you just see darkness. You see nothing. Not just animals. You see NOTHING. So I wanted to let people know to be aware who are planning and haven’t been before so they can be prepared and make informed decisions.
I see your point if you stay in the park all day and return to your room at night. We love AKL and have been booking, pre-covid , Savannah view and see plenty of animals during the morning and early evening. We enjoy the resort and are not all day or night park goers. So if you are not in the room much during the day there is no point paying for the view.

Animals are unpredictable (even with Disney pixie dust guiding them to certain viewing locations), so the views you get on the Savannah can be hit or miss. I have stayed in a Jambo House Savannah room twice. The first time, my camera roll was full of animal pics. The Savannah was packed with animals every morning. The next trip, a few years later, we did not have the same luck. The animals always seemed to be on the far side of the Savannah, not near our room, and we spent more time in the parks that trip than the previous one.

Your mileage may vary, but if that view of animals is the only selling point for AKL, I agree you may not get your money's worth. For me, the animals are #1, but if I don't see them, I'm still happy for the view over the treetops, the resort aeshetic, the FOOD, and the wonderful CMs representing their respective countries. AKL is my #1 resort, but I absolutely see why it may not be for everyone.

Add me to the "I would never have expected them to have the savannah lit up at night" crowd. Even without reviews or Disney's site specifically saying it (file under the same categories as "cape does not allow wearer to fly" warnings on kids' costumes and other equally inane warnings).

And yes...during the day they try to guide the animals to places, but the animals can think for themselves and go where they wish. As @DisneyJade says above, there is no guarantee that even during the day you're going to have them right outside your balcony.

Thanks for the review. This is not something I would have thought of.
So this was helpful. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter