Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View Rooms Are Not Worth It

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
We stayed a couple nights at animal kingdom lodge in a savannah view room recently. There is one thing I havnt read much about when it comes to people reviewing the rooms and thats the fact that you can see none of the savannah when it gets dark. There are no lights. And its not just dark its like black, not 1 thing you can see. And Im sure that has to do with letting the animals sleep but it effectively makes the premium you pay for the view only half the day. Especially since I was there in December and it gets dark early. Also, we are not early risers but still enjoy the balcony when we wake. There arent a ton of animals out and about either. We saw a couple zebras , a giraffe, and a couple others and we were pretty close to the main lobby overlooking the main savannah. So for those that are debating between standard and animal view, Id suggest saving the money and go standard.
Also we did a split stay with wilderness lodge and that resort was so much more beautiful and places to see compared to animal kingdom lodge. Usually price wise they are similar so I would highly recommend staying there. The beauty of the lake and lodge theming with the boat access to magic kingdom made a huge difference.
Just my 2 cents. Also we are talking creme de la creme of resorts so whatever you decide, you will still enjoy the resort.

I mean, personally, I am very, very grateful that they don't keep lights on at night - that would be disruptive to the animals and I don't appreciate that.

When we are caretakers of animals, we are responsible to be good caretakers. That means not disturbing an animal's basic schedules for convenience of humans.

But I appreciate reading your feedback and seeing your photos.

We stayed a couple nights at animal kingdom lodge in a savannah view room recently. There is one thing I havnt read much about when it comes to people reviewing the rooms and thats the fact that you can see none of the savannah when it gets dark. There are no lights. And its not just dark its like black, not 1 thing you can see. And Im sure that has to do with letting the animals sleep but it effectively makes the premium you pay for the view only half the day. Especially since I was there in December and it gets dark early. Also, we are not early risers but still enjoy the balcony when we wake. There arent a ton of animals out and about either. We saw a couple zebras , a giraffe, and a couple others and we were pretty close to the main lobby overlooking the main savannah. So for those that are debating between standard and animal view, Id suggest saving the money and go standard.
Also we did a split stay with wilderness lodge and that resort was so much more beautiful and places to see compared to animal kingdom lodge. Usually price wise they are similar so I would highly recommend staying there. The beauty of the lake and lodge theming with the boat access to magic kingdom made a huge difference.
Just my 2 cents. Also we are talking creme de la creme of resorts so whatever you decide, you will still enjoy the resort.
View attachment 550168
View attachment 550169
I agree that AKL is general to me is not worth the price. We stayed this past Oct. and obviously the room was nice, but that's really the only positive I have to say about the resort. - Bell Services was also the best we've had at any Disney resort, but the rest of the CMs were not great and some were actually kinda rude. I don't think we'd be back...we liked seeing the animals, but like you barely saw them because we were out and about.

View attachment 550168
View attachment 550169
did you stay in Kidani or Jambo?

I haven't stayed there. I only go there to eat.

But whenever I look at the animals and grounds, it looks like a bunch of apartment complexes with animals in the middle. I'd rather do a sleep at the Zoo campout.
Never heard anyone put it that way since I stay at this resort

Never heard anyone put it that way since I stay at this resort

Between the longer transportation time to the parks and the apartment complex like feel, we decided to never stay there. We do the like the food, so we'll drive over to eat there. But it's not on our list of places we'd like to stay. The lobby is definitely nicer than the Poly. But I don't really see the appeal at this price point for what you get.

Let me caveat this with that I'm not a Disney every year person, so I'm comparing to non-Disney resort experiences.

Some people just aren't animal people -- we're one of those. We don't enjoy zoos, don't own pets, and take little interest in animals generally. We don't hate them by any means, quite the opposite, but they're just not a source of entertainment or point of passion for us. I'm grateful that AKL exists for those animal lovers, however -- I hear lots of stories about the joy that place brings them. We'll probably visit sometime in the future just so we can say we have, but I acknowledge "to each his own" and that people's interests vary, all of which are valid. Live and let live.

“Worth it” is quite relative. We did a 5 night resort only trip back in October. 5th or 6th stay at the lodge, but first resort only trip.

it was magical enough for us that we bought a DVC contract yesterday.

Attachments

• B86078CD-91F3-4A46-B175-C3BADD427A7C.jpeg
    B86078CD-91F3-4A46-B175-C3BADD427A7C.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 67FC8ADB-6382-4393-BED0-073C129EBCCC.jpeg
    67FC8ADB-6382-4393-BED0-073C129EBCCC.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 2D99A8F8-EC7F-4CB5-B1F9-106FD51379E5.jpeg
    2D99A8F8-EC7F-4CB5-B1F9-106FD51379E5.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 152
“Worth it” is quite relative. We did a 5 night resort only trip back in October. 5th or 6th stay at the lodge, but first resort only trip.

Congrats! Enjoy the elation of being a new owner! There will also be a short period of buyers remorse, but then you'll get past that, and then after a little while you'll get add-on-itis, a condition that, unfortunately, cannot be cured.

Oh the buyers remorse hit hard last night, especially with so many things in flux with resort benefits (or lack thereof).

but we just kept reminding each other that we would legitimately be happy with a resort only family vacation there every other year even if the parks ceased to exist

I haven't stayed there. I only go there to eat.

But whenever I look at the animals and grounds, it looks like a bunch of apartment complexes with animals in the middle. I'd rather do a sleep at the Zoo campout.
Hahaha! We went over to just check it out since we'd never been and I thought the same thing. Was going to make the comment but you beat me to it. Didn't really do anything for me either, but I know some love it. Matter of fact, my parents were considering buying in to the DVC there but never did.
As far as the animals at night, I'm pretty sure they bring them to their barns at night and they don't stay out. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure they will, Ha!).

Hahaha! We went over to just check it out since we'd never been and I thought the same thing. Was going to make the comment but you beat me to it. Didn't really do anything for me either, but I know some love it. Matter of fact, my parents were considering buying in to the DVC there but never did.
As far as the animals at night, I'm pretty sure they bring them to their barns at night and they don't stay out. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure they will, Ha!).
The animals are out at night. The first photo I posted was about an hour after sunset, in night mode on my camera.

in normal times they also have night vision binoculars you can use to view at night

Yea if you are doing a resort only stay it does have a lot to offer and they have (or had depending on the return of boma and jiko) some of the most unique food.

I always bring night vision binoculars. Got some interesting footage of the animals at night. Have stayed there 3 times. Best hotel experience ever... all 3 times. Club level there feels like it's worth it. Tried club level at Disneyland once... so not worth it in comparison. Sana is my second favorite Disney restaurant, after Napa Rose. Nothing beats the bread service! Last trip I ended up at Sana 3 times (yup I love it that much!) Jambo House Zebra Trail for the win!

We loved it of course it was pre -covid so much to do at the resort food choices amazing. Savannah Room Totally awesome coffee in the morning on Balcony the best.

I literally just told a friend at lunch today that AKL is really my favorite Disney resort (as much as I still adore the Poly). Just the warmth of lobby (sights and smells), the music, the pools, the food, plus the animals.....love it! I like WL a lot too (we actually stayed at the Old Faithful Inn last summer, a bucket list since our honeymoon) but I really don’t find that much to look at there. I mean the grounds are beautiful, but other than the one geyser, I just don’t see much to sit on my balcony and look at. Clearly this is another fine example of why it’s great to have so many distinctly different resorts—something for everyone! (And I don’t even pretend to argue that any Disney resort is “worth” the cost—I love being in the bubble and you either pay it or you don’t.)

Our Savannah view studio at Kidani was one of our favorite rooms ever. we had giraffe feeding outside our room every day, along with zebra and a host of other animals. Our DD was about 10 at the time and thought it was the best thing ever. Breakfast on the balcony eye to eye with a giraffe is one of my favorite Disney memories.

it’s also one of our favorite resorts. The pools are great and, when everything is open, they have the best food on property. The atmosphere is top notch and the cultural programs are great. It’s all in what you like I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter