Anaheim Marriott, Hilton Anaheim, Sheraton Park Hotel or Homewood Suites?

We are considering similar options. Has the Courtyard Marriott Themepark Entrance hotel already opened up? Can anyone confirm that the pool/waterpark been open? Only seems worth the added cost if you can actually access those features.

I liked the Hilton Anaheim and would stay there again. We stayed at Homewood Suites but the one in Garden Grove and it was ok. For the price it was a good fit for our family - lots of space , mini kitchen, etc. I was worried it would be too far away but that was a non-issue. I don't think I would return but it was fine. The other Homewood Suites is newer (the one closer).

We are considering similar options. Has the Courtyard Marriott Themepark Entrance hotel already opened up? Can anyone confirm that the pool/waterpark been open? Only seems worth the added cost if you can actually access those features.
I called the courtyard today as I am staying there in June. They will open the first week of May (sorry can’t remember the exact date he said). He said they will be implementing a reservation system for the water park and that anyone with a reservation for the hotel should get an email with details in the next week or so.

Sorry, can I just jump in and ask about the toy story shuttles. Are they just not running at the moment because of covid, or is the service gone for good?
TIA :)

I called the courtyard today as I am staying there in June. They will open the first week of May (sorry can’t remember the exact date he said). He said they will be implementing a reservation system for the water park and that anyone with a reservation for the hotel should get an email with details in the next week or so.
If you get this email would you mind sharing the details here?

Back to the original question, I've stayed at the Sheraton often. You can't beat the price and it's an easy 10 minute walk to the main park entrance and a 5 minute walk to the convention center. My priorities are always affordability and walkability because I'm in the parks all day so I don't really care what the room is like as long as there's a bed and a bathroom. The Sheraton pool area looks nice but I've never used it. It does have a cafe for grab and go food, which is nice on those mornings when I'm rushing to get in line for the parks.

The other place I've stayed often is Four Points (formerly Hotel Menage), again because of super cheap prices. It's right next to the highway, which isn't ideal, but the noise doesn't bother me and it has has an amazing view of the DLR fireworks because it's basically behind Toontown. It also has a nice pool area that I've never used lol

Of the hotels listed, here are my thoughts:
  • My favorite would be the Marriot Courtyard Theme Park entrance. Huge fan of how close it is. Absolutely loved the room configuration that fits the 6 of us and has two showers. Major help in logistics. And the pool / water park is pretty fun although my kids are getting to the age where they don’t care all that much (and we are from Phoenix where we have tons of access to pools and swimming like 6 months of the year). Downside is definitely the price.
  • Second favorite is probably a tie between Homewood Suites / Residence Inn. Big fan of RI’s breakfast which we liked more than HS. Love their bigger suite with two bedrooms / bathrooms. Downside of RI is more expensive and the walk isn’t fun. HS has the advantage of being close to the Toy Story lot with the shuttles. If we didn’t have that as an option, we would rule it out entirely.
  • Not a huge fan of the Hilton. Ok for when the two of us go alone for a cheaper, known place to stay. But a pretty far walk (although Toy Story lot an option and not too far), rooms definitely older. Best thing is having a Starbucks built-in with a separate line for Gold / Diamond Hilton status members.
One other place we have recently used was the DoubleTree. Big advantage was the price. Can get it super cheap and if using Hilton points, even better (HS is considered “Premium” so point price is really high). Downside was it is a little further walk to Toy Story lot and we only get two free breakfasts per night with our Hilton status.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites that is close to the Toy Story lot for two nights in November when we went down to visit our son and downtown Disney and Knott's (yes, that was the order of priority though it was close between son and downtown Disney :) ). Anyway, these were covid times just before the big pre-holiday lockdown, so our experience may not be representative of much, but I wouldn't stay at that Homewood again. We didn't actually book this hotel but were sent there when the hotel we had booked closed due to low bookings. We didn't expect amenities so I am not basing my review on that but strictly on the room. Thankfully it was clean. That is the best I could say about it. The layout of the room was odd. You couldn't get into the safe without kneeling down and holding multiple doors open at once, the closet door and the safe door; both doors kept falling closed either through poor design or poor hinges. The tv was to the side of the bed but on a swivel arm that seemed to not be working properly but we didn't use the tv anyway. There were a number of items broken and/or in a generally worn-down state including the bed headboard, toilet, safe, carpet, and tv. And I'm really not a very fussy person. We complained about none of it but let them know about a couple of the important things at end of stay because we were just there to sleep and like I said things were clean which was what was most important to us at that time and those workers probably had it hard enough anyway. The walls were very thin, and there was a lot of noise throughout the night because I think they grouped everyone together in one area, so sleeping wasn't great either. This was a king studio suite. Maybe the other room types are better. Maybe maintenance is better during non-Covid times. We got a cheaper than normal times rate but not an exceptionally cheap rate and they still charged for parking though the parking arm was broken and anyone could freely drive in and out. So anyway, we weren't impressed. My brother has stayed there a few times over the years and is usually happy so maybe the family suites are better or the hotel is usually better kept up.

I will add on to the poster who mentioned the DoubleTree: Agreed that it is a long walk, but we stayed there a few times when our favorite hotel the Hojo was undergoing remodeling, and the DoubleTree was a very nice hotel. The rooms were very pleasant and clean and the front desk staff was welcoming. A Hilton will never be my first choice in Anaheim because they just aren't close enough to the park, but the DoubleTree is a nice property with often lower rates than the other area Hiltons.

Did you stay at the Homewood Suited right next to the Toy Story lot? It is way nicer and newer than the DoubleTree.

We loved the Hilton, stayed there right before the shutdown. We loved the rooftop pool and the fact Starbucks is in the lobby. To save time we grabbed breakfast there daily and ate it while waiting for the Uber.

We stayed at the Courtyard a few years ago and won't go back. I love pools and theirs is so small. The waterslides were cool but I personally like to have a bigger pool. The room was great for our big group though. It was just so darn expensive.

The Hilton will be our go to hotel going forward. I like a latte in the morning and the convenience of that was worth it.

Did you stay at the Homewood Suited right next to the Toy Story lot? It is way nicer and newer than the DoubleTree.
We stayed at that Homewood in fall of 2020. The room we had was pretty beat up. I was shocked. It wasn’t dirty. But the furniture was really worn out. We also attempted to swim at night and there were crickets all over the pool deck. Lol. I don’t know if it was just because of the time of year or what. We did really like that they had a grab n go breakfast and electric vehicle charging! Plus having a sitting area and kitchen was nice too. I would for sure give it another try in the future.

I'd love to get some opinions here! I am planning a two-night stay with two park days in June. Just me and my son. I am local and rarely stay in the area hotels, but we have done DLH twice (love!) and the Grand Legacy once.

The GCH is pretty much out of reach or I'd do that. (Still dreaming of it though!) I wish the DLH was open, but alas not yet, and even that would be a stretch for me for two nights.

For this trip, I would prefer to stay in a "nicer" place versus a run-down motel (i.e., Grand Legacy type). I am willing to walk farther for a nicer hotel (better upkeep/cleaner feel, nicer beds/linens, quieter/thicker walls). A pool is a must as I'll be with my 6-year-old; a hot tub would be nice.

I am looking at these hotels.* Prices include fees/taxes but not parking. Any thoughts?

Courtyard Marriott Theme Park: $700 total

JW Marriott: $606 total

Westin: $607 total

Residence Inn Convention Center: $490 total

Anaheim Marriott: $398 total

Homewood Suites: $363 total

Hilton Anaheim: $325 total

Sheraton Park Hotel: $281

Another option would be to bite the bullet and stay at the Grand but only one night.

* Edited to add the ones that were subsequently recommended below

With a 6 year old I’d definitely say the Courtyard Theme Park because of their water slides, water play area and the easy walk to the parks but there actual pool is really small so if the pool is the important part this might not be a good fit and it’s the most expensive one on your list.

I’ve been in the Marriott Hotel but haven’t stayed there. It just felt so much like a business/convention hotel that we ended up staying elsewhere. It definitely had an upscale feel tho, at least in the lobby!

I like the RI Convention Center, a little bit of a walk but nice big rooms. I didn’t look at the pool when we stayed there but it looks nice from the online pics.

I’ve stayed at the Sheraton Park once, and I wasn’t impressed. I felt like our room was kind of run down and we didn’t have a great experience in the Club room. The pool area is supposed to be nice here but we didn’t check it out.

I think the JW Marriott and Westin both look great, but I haven’t stayed at either.

For reference I’m a self proclaimed hotel snob who almost always has my kids with me on Disney trips. We stay at the Disney hotels a lot, but not always!

If you're asking me, yes, the Homewood we stayed at was the one next to the Toy Story lot. The room was quite beat up and disappointing. Our stay was November 2020. The last time we stayed at the DoubleTree was January 2018, so I don't know if it has gone downhill since then.

With a 6 year old I’d definitely say the Courtyard Theme Park because of their water slides, water play area and the easy walk to the parks but there actual pool is really small so if the pool is the important part this might not be a good fit and it’s the most expensive one on your list.

One thing I'd caution- If spending time at the pool is a priority rather than spending every possible hour at the park, then by all means, book the hotel with the best pool option given your budget and hotel availability.

On the other hand, if you feel that your child will be clamoring to go to the pool while you're trying to eek out every minute you can at the park, make it a secondary (or lower) consideration.

I'm saying this based on our first trip experience to DL after flying across the country with our grandson only to hear "Can we go back to the pool?" while we were trying to enjoy every minute being in the park. We have lots of pools in Pennsylvania!

One thing I'd caution- If spending time at the pool is a priority rather than spending every possible hour at the park, then by all means, book the hotel with the best pool option given your budget and hotel availability.

On the other hand, if you feel that your child will be clamoring to go to the pool while you're trying to eek out every minute you can at the park, make it a secondary (or lower) consideration.

I'm saying this based on our first trip experience to DL after flying across the country with our grandson only to hear "Can we go back to the pool?" while we were trying to enjoy every minute being in the park. We have lots of pools in Pennsylvania!
This is excellent advice! We purposely didn't splurge on a place with a good pool this time because we know with limited hours, we'll want all of our time in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!