Anaheim Marriott, Hilton Anaheim, Sheraton Park Hotel or Homewood Suites?

SOCALMouseMommy

DIS Veteran
I'd love to get some opinions here! I am planning a two-night stay with two park days in June. Just me and my son. I am local and rarely stay in the area hotels, but we have done DLH twice (love!) and the Grand Legacy once.

The GCH is pretty much out of reach or I'd do that. (Still dreaming of it though!) I wish the DLH was open, but alas not yet, and even that would be a stretch for me for two nights.

For this trip, I would prefer to stay in a "nicer" place versus a run-down motel (i.e., Grand Legacy type). I am willing to walk farther for a nicer hotel (better upkeep/cleaner feel, nicer beds/linens, quieter/thicker walls). A pool is a must as I'll be with my 6-year-old; a hot tub would be nice.

I am looking at these hotels.* Prices include fees/taxes but not parking. Any thoughts?

Courtyard Marriott Theme Park: $700 total

JW Marriott: $606 total

Westin: $607 total

Residence Inn Convention Center: $490 total

Anaheim Marriott: $398 total

Homewood Suites: $363 total

Hilton Anaheim: $325 total

Sheraton Park Hotel: $281

Another option would be to bite the bullet and stay at the Grand but only one night.

* Edited to add the ones that were subsequently recommended below

Last edited:
I have stayed at the Hilton and it is nice. Feels very much like a convention hotel (which it is) but there is a splash pad area at the pool in addition to the pool which would be fun for a 6 year old. It also has a hot tub (or maybe even 2). The Marriot is across the plaza from the Hilton so the distance would be the same for both of them though I have never stayed at the Marriott.

I have stayed in all of these hotels. The Marriott, Hilton, and Sheraton are all older. The last time I stayed at the Hilton and Sheraton, I got a couple of pretty old and run-down rooms. The Hilton room’s condition was so terrible, even the manager that came to look at it was shocked at its condition. I haven’t had any issues with rooms at the Marriott, but I wouldn’t pay that price to stay there. Homewood Suites is nice and has an okay pool, but it’s a looooong walk. If you’re willing to make that walk, I’d stay at the JW Marriott or give the new Westin a try (if it’s open during your stay).

I have two alternative suggestions: the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance and the Residence Inn Convention Center are my go-to hotels walking distance from the park. The Courtyard has a killer pool with water slides that my daughter loves, the rooms are nice, and the walk is short. Residence Inn has a really nice rooftop pool. Neither have pool service, which is a bummer. But both hotels are newer and their rooms are nice. My new go-to hotel is the JW Marriott. We’ve stayed there a few times since they opened and we really like the rooms and the pool (there is pool service). It’s a longer walk, but you can cut through the Garden Walk to get there. We plan to stay there in June and will probably walk to the parks in the morning and take an Uber back at night.

I agree with the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance suggestion, though sometimes the rates there can be quite high.

I really like the Homewood and have stayed there several times but that was when you could take the bus from Toy Story next door to the parks. Without that...I'm not so sure. It's a long walk from that area (though all your hotels are basically in the same area so I guess this point isn't really Homewood specific) though I assume you'll have a car so you could always just drive to M&F (but then you have to pay for parking there too...ugh). The rooms at the Homewood are nice and spacious and the breakfast is acceptable and convenient for a quick bite in the morning. I have stayed at other Homewoods as recently as this past weekend and they do still have breakfast service- it's just grab and go and they put the hot items in a container for you.

Like PP, I also was not impressed with the Hilton Anaheim on my stay there (for work). My experience wasn't as bad as theirs but it didn't make me want to go back either.

Back in 2019 I stayed at the Sheraton at the Park, we were there as part of a conference with the primary hotels being the Hilton & Marriott. I got a much better rate to stay at the Sheraton for the conference and our families extended vacation after the conference. After hearing from other I'm glad I stayed at the Sheraton - the Hilton in particular was not a great experience for my staff team that stayed there, and the lobby area with our conference was LOUD. Our room itself was just fine, and I'd stay here again - that said you can read my full review from that trip here. The biggest downside was the AC had trouble keeping the room cool on a couple very warm days.

For the price I'd stay at the Sheraton again, but as @kristensideaoffun said if the new Westin is open I'd sure take a look at that.

I have stayed in all of these hotels. The Marriott, Hilton, and Sheraton are all older. The last time I stayed at the Hilton and Sheraton, I got a couple of pretty old and run-down rooms. The Hilton room’s condition was so terrible, even the manager that came to look at it was shocked at its condition. I haven’t had any issues with rooms at the Marriott, but I wouldn’t pay that price to stay there. Homewood Suites is nice and has an okay pool, but it’s a looooong walk. If you’re willing to make that walk, I’d stay at the JW Marriott or give the new Westin a try (if it’s open during your stay).

I have two alternative suggestions: the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance and the Residence Inn Convention Center are my go-to hotels walking distance from the park. The Courtyard has a killer pool with water slides that my daughter loves, the rooms are nice, and the walk is short. Residence Inn has a really nice rooftop pool. Neither have pool service, which is a bummer. But both hotels are newer and their rooms are nice. My new go-to hotel is the JW Marriott. We’ve stayed there a few times since they opened and we really like the rooms and the pool (there is pool service). It’s a longer walk, but you can cut through the Garden Walk to get there. We plan to stay there in June and will probably walk to the parks in the morning and take an Uber back at night.
Thank you so much for this feedback! It is so helpful. I am absolutely trying to avoid old and run down or else I’d stay right across the street.

The Courtyard Marriott Theme Park ($700 total) is $100 more than the JW Marriott ($606 total). Would you say the JW? I don’t mind the 20-minute walk back and forth. I am very familiar with it. I always walk from Mickey and Friends or Toy Story to the parks when we come for day visits. I have a stroller for my son for that purpose.

The Residence Inn looks nice too. It is $490 total.

Last edited:
I agree with the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance suggestion, though sometimes the rates there can be quite high.

I really like the Homewood and have stayed there several times but that was when you could take the bus from Toy Story next door to the parks. Without that...I'm not so sure. It's a long walk from that area (though all your hotels are basically in the same area so I guess this point isn't really Homewood specific) though I assume you'll have a car so you could always just drive to M&F (but then you have to pay for parking there too...ugh). The rooms at the Homewood are nice and spacious and the breakfast is acceptable and convenient for a quick bite in the morning. I have stayed at other Homewoods as recently as this past weekend and they do still have breakfast service- it's just grab and go and they put the hot items in a container for you.

Like PP, I also was not impressed with the Hilton Anaheim on my stay there (for work). My experience wasn't as bad as theirs but it didn't make me want to go back either.
Thank you so much for sharing. The Courtyard is the most expensive of all I’m looking at (other than GCH of course)

Back in 2019 I stayed at the Sheraton at the Park, we were there as part of a conference with the primary hotels being the Hilton & Marriott. I got a much better rate to stay at the Sheraton for the conference and our families extended vacation after the conference. After hearing from other I'm glad I stayed at the Sheraton - the Hilton in particular was not a great experience for my staff team that stayed there, and the lobby area with our conference was LOUD. Our room itself was just fine, and I'd stay here again - that said you can read my full review from that trip here. The biggest downside was the AC had trouble keeping the room cool on a couple very warm days.

For the price I'd stay at the Sheraton again, but as @kristensideaoffun said if the new Westin is open I'd sure take a look at that.

Thank you, so helpful! Looks like I could book the Westin for $607 total.

Thank you so much for this feedback! It is so helpful. I am absolutely trying to avoid old and run down or else I’d stay right across the street.

The Courtyard Marriott Theme Park ($700 total) is $100 more than the JW Marriott ($606 total). Would you say the JW? I don’t mind the 20-minute walk back and forth. I am very familiar with it. I always walk from Mickey and Friends or Toy Story to the parks when we come for day visits. I have a stroller for my son for that purpose.

For $490 I'd pick the Residence Inn. We stayed there for one night before moving to the Grand and it was really nice! I didn't check out the pool though, so I can't comment on that.

The JW for only about a hundred more than the Residence Inn is pretty tempting too. I haven't stayed there yet, but it's brand new and looks amazing! I think you can cut through the Garden Walk to shorten the walk a bit (those who have stayed there can correct me if I'm wrong on that).

The pool at that Residence Inn is really nice, it’s on their roof on like the sixth-ish floor so it has a nice view. Also they have the largest hot tub in Anaheim!

Have you looked at the Marriott Element Resort Convention Center? It's brand new and opening in June. It's usually much cheaper than the JW, Westin or Courtyard Theme Park and the rooms look really nice. It has free breakfast too. The pool looks a little small though, but brand new rooms can't be beat.

Thank you so much for sharing. The Courtyard is the most expensive of all I’m looking at (other than GCH of course)

That is definitely a problem with the Courtyard... I've only stayed there when I could get it on points. The rates are CRAZY.

I agree with the Westin suggestion- I like that location a lot (I stayed at the Anabella which used to be in that spot a few times) and it looks like a great new option! Easier walk to the parks than a lot of the others, IMO.

It really depends on what you want to prioritize. If my kid was the one choosing, she would say the Courtyard. She loves the pool there. I’d choose the JW because it’s a full service hotel (although room service isn’t happening now because of COViD, it could change by June). They do have pool service, though, which I greatly enjoyed last time we were there. The service throughout the hotel is phenomenal, as well.

The Residence Inn is also really nice. It’s not a full service hotel like the JW, but they do have a nice rooftop pool with a splash pad and huge hot tub.

ETA: I don’t think you can go wrong with the Westin, either. It looks fabulous and I can’t wait to try it.

Just a note: the Anaheim Hilton is closed (it has been for over a year). Their system still takes reservations as if its open though.

We are booked at the Marriott. It's also walking distance so it'll work. I don't love it, but it's fine.

• Courtyard has the best pool and is the closest.
  • Residence Inn and Homewood Suites both offer free breakfast. Residence Inn is nicer.
  • JW and Westin should be the nicest (I have not actually stayed at these two hotels yet though).
  • I don't really recommend the Marriott or Hilton over the Residence Inn and Homewood Suites. The Marriott does have the nicest rooms of these four but they're small compared to the Residence Inn.
  • I don't recommend the Sheraton although the new management may have improved things. The rooms should still be the worst on your list. If you really want something more budget friendly, try pricing out the two Springhill Suites and the Fairfield which offer free breakfast but are not as nice as the Residence Inn.

Have you looked at the Marriott Element Resort Convention Center? It's brand new and opening in June. It's usually much cheaper than the JW, Westin or Courtyard Theme Park and the rooms look really nice. It has free breakfast too. The pool looks a little small though, but brand new rooms can't be beat.
I did not see this yet so I will look for it. Thank you!

• Courtyard has the best pool and is the closest.
  • Residence Inn and Homewood Suites both offer free breakfast. Residence Inn is nicer.
  • JW and Westin should be the nicest (I have not actually stayed at these two hotels yet though).
  • I don't really recommend the Marriott or Hilton over the Residence Inn and Homewood Suites. The Marriott does have the nicest rooms of these four but they're small compared to the Residence Inn.
  • I don't recommend the Sheraton although the new management may have improved things. The rooms should still be the worst on your list. If you really want something more budget friendly, try pricing out the two Springhill Suites and the Fairfield which offer free breakfast but are not as nice as the Residence Inn.
Thank you, this is so helpful!

We weren't really that impressed with the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance . We booked a very last minute Christmas trip one year and got a park view room. The view was neat, we could see the monorail from our balcony. Everyone was nice, the room was just too meh and lacking character for the price. We also stayed in the Hyatt House right off Harbor and Katella and were also not impressed (extremely thin floor/ceiling/wall combo). Friends have stayed at the Hilton and Sheraton, and while they didn't have complaints they also weren't wowed.

I don't consider the Grand Legacy to be run-down, so may have too different a POV. My recommendations and tastes are for the more established hotels in the area, but they're not as new as some of the ones mentioned here. I would go with whichever you feel most comfortable walking that offers the best amenities (free breakfast, parking, etc).

We weren't really that impressed with the Courtyard Theme Park Entrance . We booked a very last minute Christmas trip one year and got a park view room. The view was neat, we could see the monorail from our balcony. Everyone was nice, the room was just too meh and lacking character for the price. We also stayed in the Hyatt House right off Harbor and Katella and were also not impressed (extremely thin floor/ceiling/wall combo). Friends have stayed at the Hilton and Sheraton, and while they didn't have complaints they also weren't wowed.

I don't consider the Grand Legacy to be run-down, so may have too different a POV. My recommendations and tastes are for the more established hotels in the area, but they're not as new as some of the ones mentioned here. I would go with whichever you feel most comfortable walking that offers the best amenities (free breakfast, parking, etc).
Did you stay in the tower at the Grand Legacy? We were in the back and it was definitely a run down room... older and in great need of a refresh. Plus very loud. But it was clean and was fine for our needs that time (just one night!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter