An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hate for somewhere like a Disney resort experience what Las Vegas had happen - there are so many guests and families there. Although it is upsetting for some to have the extra security checks, I would rather be safe than sorry. If you feel the need for some privacy for napping/showering or personal reasons, put the chain latch on the door (if they still exist) as well. This would hamper some easy direct entry by Disney security.
I disagree with the whole "safe than sorry or times are changing" argument. So if Disney decided to put cameras in their resort rooms in the name of "safety," people here would not have a problem with it?

I disagree with the whole "safe than sorry or times are changing" argument. So if Disney decided to put cameras in their resort rooms in the name of "safety," people here would not have a problem with it?
Some wouldn’t — shockingly to me!! A certain segment seems to be more than willing to give up privacy or liberty at the mere mention of “SECURITY REASONS”.

I think about those airport scanners that effectively show people near-nude... the government shouted “TERRORISM”!!! And people said: “OK!” They’re proven to be less effective — that was known at the time. Amazing to me.

I put my money on Disney and their team of lawyers

Would you ? Attys argue law they don’t make or decide law . I would also like to point out again how they are REALLY doing anything ? We had a room service man in our room for a good 10 minutes helping us set up a large dinner .. we had a gun sitting out in plain sight ( we actually had to move it for him ) we would normally already have it in the safe but had just come back from the outlet malls and taken it off , nothing was said .. not a comment or anything .. now I know from 20 yrs + of trips it would have been no issue as long as we followed what we normally do but what if it had been someone that DID pose a threat ?
Disney can not cover their butts on everything .. there is no way to do that but they DO have enough security measures to do so without being so invasive.
I would also again like to say we were not bothered but I know many people have been and I get why it would be a issue .

Some wouldn’t — shockingly to me!! A certain segment seems to be more than willing to give up privacy or liberty at the mere mention of “SECURITY REASONS”.

I think about those airport scanners that effectively show people near-nude... the government shouted “TERRORISM”!!! And people said: “OK!” They’re proven to be less effective — that was known at the time. Amazing to me.
Like the clown show at MCO. "OH, long lines are ok because it means I'm safe." No...long lines are due to mean, rude, inefficient TSA agents.

Like the clown show at MCO. "OH, long lines are ok because it means I'm safe." No...long lines are due to mean, rude, inefficient TSA agents.

Lol so agree !! MCO is a joke .. I breezed through security hardly checked going to the UK .. but leaving Manchester England I spent a hour getting through security and not only did they dump every single thing out of carry ons but then used the wand after THAT .. they were 100% thorough...

You should check law a bit more ( especially Florida law) nothing they do for “ show” covers them as you say .. if a store just mopped and they put up a sign that says “ wet floor caution, walk at own risk “ the store can still get sued and loose easily .. it just does not work that way ( the law , that is ) .

People can sue for anything. Winning is another ball game.

Unknowingly you just made a great point AGAINST the nuisance room checks ... it IS correct that Disney has amazing security that is highly secretive, given my own experience last week with having cast members in my room and the lack of really either not caring or really not paying attention then I definitely see the checks no more then a security system sign in your front yard , a possible deterrent but once enough people notice this also it will no longer be a deterrent and all that will come of it is angry guests.

I am against the room checks. I can understand them checking a room if they suspect something, but I do not think it is in Disney's interest to check everyone's room. It is not in Disney's interest to be seen as an abusive big brother. I suspect they will curtail the checks over time. It is obvious the effort was not well thought out. But Disney has been making some bad decisions lately, so time will tell.
But the area of privacy is likely to dominate the courts over the next ten years. It will be interesting to see how the cards fall. Classic individual versus the collective and individual versus industry. It is interesting to see that in Europe the privacy issue has reached a head sooner than in the US. The cards there seem to be going to the individual.

Fun
I am against the room checks. I can understand them checking a room if they suspect something, but I do not think it is in Disney's interest to check everyone's room. It is not in Disney's interest to be seen as an abusive big brother. I suspect they will curtail the checks over time. It is obvious the effort was not well thought out. But Disney has been making some bad decisions lately, so time will tell.
But the area of privacy is likely to dominate the courts over the next ten years. It will be interesting to see how the cards fall. Classic individual verses the collective and individual versus industry. It is interesting to see that in Europe the privacy issue has reached a head sooner than in the US. The cards there seem to be going to the individual.

Funny enough .. I spent 10 days in Manchester , blocks away from the attack location and did not use room service and never had one person come knocking on my door for anything . The only place I noticed extra security was inside the arena itself .

I just can't fathom that people are really this upset over things done for your safety and the safety of others. The Orlando shooter's plans was to shoot at Disney Springs. This is a proven fact now. He didn't do it due to the presence of Police and Security. I think people need to start realizing that things are put into place for our protection. Will they be able to check every single room every single day, I doubt it. You have been warned that they might do it. When your at home you can't control someone knocking on your door while you sleep. You can't control your telephone ringing when you don't want it too. Lets start realizing that when we are visiting someone else's property we are a guest of there's and we expect certain things as a guest of there's and one of those things I expect is safety. If I don't like a places policy or don't feel safe then I don't stay there. I would rather be bothered for a second then get upset about what they deem as necessary for safety. Who am I to argue with them about there practices? If I don't like it then I won't stay there. If this policy saves one persons life from either being ill, sex trafficking, or kidnapping then its well worth it in my opinion.

I just can't fathom that people are really this upset over things done for your safety and the safety of others. The Orlando shooter's plans was to shoot at Disney Springs. This is a proven fact now. He didn't do it due to the presence of Police and Security. I think people need to start realizing that things are put into place for our protection. Will they be able to check every single room every single day, I doubt it. You have been warned that they might do it. When your at home you can't control someone knocking on your door while you sleep. You can't control your telephone ringing when you don't want it too. Lets start realizing that when we are visiting someone else's property we are a guest of there's and we expect certain things as a guest of there's and one of those things I expect is safety. If I don't like a places policy or don't feel safe then I don't stay there. I would rather be bothered for a second then get upset about what they deem as necessary for safety. Who am I to argue with them about there practices? If I don't like it then I won't stay there. If this policy saves one persons life from either being ill, sex trafficking, or kidnapping then its well worth it in my opinion.

That’s exactly why we will now stay off property IF we decide to go back but I’m letting our APs lapse and we will travel more other places .. as far as at home doors and phones , well we silence our phones and we have video outside so we can easily see if and who is at the door .
While most hotels have this “ clause” I have never once stayed at one that actually practiced it ( and we never do housekeeping ) . I have stayed blocks away from somewhere that experienced a major terrorist attack without once having someone come to my door or ask to come in the room . They have plenty of ways to beef up security around property without this practice ( unless they really think there’s is a issue ) .

If I were a bad person and wanted to cause mass damage, I wouldn't shoot people from my room. How many rooms provide access to hundreds of people, maybe those rooms should be the ones checked daily. There must be other reasons other than trying to catch or prevent a mass shooting for the room inspections.

:earsboy: Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter