An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question: how many other hotels have this policy and just don’t make it publicly known? We travel frequently, sometimes we use the DND sign and others not, depends on our mood and the current condition of the room. But we are typically gone from our room most of the day so I have no way of knowing if they did a room check or not if we declined housekeeping.

We stay at Universal and they have DND signs and honor them.

We were in NC recently and the Fairfield Inn had signage that you can get points for declining housekeeping- and they have DND signs and honored them.

@HopperFan said they were in Orlando at an off site hotel and not only did they have a DND sign, the hotel also gave them a letter stating they will NOT disturb you.

Honest question: how many other hotels have this policy and just don’t make it publicly known? We travel frequently, sometimes we use the DND sign and others not, depends on our mood and the current condition of the room. But we are typically gone from our room most of the day so I have no way of knowing if they did a room check or not if we declined housekeeping.
Every single one of them have a policy where they can enter a room if they feel the need. It's different than the way Disney is currently doing this policy but the point is, they can enter your room because they own the hotel, not you. It's not like your own home.

We were in NC recently and the Fairfield Inn had signage that you can get points for declining housekeeping- and they have DND signs and honored them.

@HopperFan said they were in Orlando at an off site hotel and not only did they have a DND sign, the hotel also gave them a letter stating they will NOT disturb you.
That may all be true but every single one of them CAN enter a room if they see fit to. No matter what those signs or letters say. They have the right to enter the rooms in their hotels at any time. Period. Do Not Disturb signs or not.
Do they daily? No. Can they? Yes.

I know they have been the DND signs, but do you know they aren’t doing a room check anyway? Are you in your room all day?

We frequently stay at Starwood properties and participate in the Green Choice program, but I can’t say for sure or not that they aren’t entering my room at some point during the day.

The poster who said that there was a letter specifically telling them that the hotel honors the DND sign is what made me think of this. If this hotel is calling it out, maybe other hotels have the same policy as Disney, but just aren’t advertising it.

I know they have been the DND signs, but do you know they aren’t doing a room check anyway? Are you in your room all day?

We frequently stay at Starwood properties and participate in the Green Choice program, but I can’t say for sure or not that they aren’t entering my room at some point during the day.

The poster who said that there was a letter specifically telling them that the hotel honors the DND sign is what made me think of this. If this hotel is calling it out, maybe other hotels have the same policy as Disney, but just aren’t advertising it.

We like daily housekeeping and leave our room by about 11 am and return by dinner or a little after. We never had anyone disturb us as I've read they do at Disney because room occupied means they will still knock before they come in but they won't pass you by for housekeeping like in the past.

So, I know housekeeping came in our room and I'm fine with that. I just don't want to be disturbed before I'm ready to leave for the day. I know I heard someone ask the housekeeper for supplies in the hall when we were walking because her husband was not feeling well and the housekeeper at the Hard Rock hotel happily gave her towels and such without having to inspect their room.

I'm not sure you can tell if anyone checks your room- they do have a right to enter. I have nothing to hide-just don't wake me up!!

I continue to appreciate your feedback.

Here is a bit more about me. I am retired and disabled. (that picture of me in the avatar is when I was not an old fart - LOL) I use my own scooter for mobility. I can not either walk or stand for very long. Normally, at home, we are night owls and frequently hit the sack around 1am or 2am. So, to add to the previous sharing of what I feel about this subject I have concerns not being your typical "normal" guest not getting up at the crack of dawn and going to the parks. Our home resort is Old Key West and we have really enjoyed the resort. We typically have annual passes so we are not concerned about when we come and go. We typically get out of our room sometime in the early afternoon. We come and go depending on how we feel.

So, having read thousands of accounts here at Disboards.com about this subject, I have read if you go to the front desk to ask for housekeeping to come in the afternoon they will refuse you and merely tell you to call housekeeping. Once calling housekeeping, once making our request I have read that they will not guarantee it. They will merely acknowledge it as merely a request. So, I can just see myself waking up from a knock on the door at say 8:30am trying to slowly hobble to the door (my wife is a sound sleeper) to ask them to come back later. The typical response I have read is following this interchange you will then have a phone call from security stating they will be there in a few minutes for (state any reason). So, for us, this would be like being woken up around 5am in the morning for "normal" folks. All for access on their schedule and not ours while on vacation.

As the OP, when you add this to my previous posts in this thread, you might see there is more to the picture at play. It was not my intention of keeping this from you but honestly felt it shouldn't matter. But as this discussion is evolving it may give you more understanding why I am reacting to this issue the way I am.

Additionally, our next trip to WDW is scheduled for the later part of October into November 2018. It will be the longest stay we have ever had - 19 nights. So, adding to our concerns is having this new policy added during the longest stay. We are praying the kinks will be worked out as I can not imagine people are not having issues with it. Another reason I wanted to share my concerns with Disney.

So, that this doesn't turn into another book I will merely say......

Cheers

I don't believe those things are happening in the DVC resorts. DVC resorts don't get traditional daily housekeeping anyway, unless you pay extra for it. They get it what, only every 4 days or something. Otherwise it's only trash service. The reports you are reading of folks getting calls from security after refusing housekeeping each day is from the traditional Resort stay side.

So you may well be worrying about something that won't apply to DVC stays at all. I don't think the trash service is going to interrupt you like daily room cleaning does. Not to mention, as you say, things are already very fluid in regards to this policy. Procedures are changing, it seems weekly. With a trip still 6 months away I don't think I'd even give it a second thought until much closer and I knew more about 1, how it's working closer to my dates and 2, how it's working for DVC stays, specifically.

At the annual member meeting last Dec, Ken Potrock made the announcement that DVC villas were going to get daily trash pickup, not just every four days. Lots of members in the auditorium were happy about this because they hate to take their trash to the trash room if the cans get full before the fourth day. So it was spun with DVC as a new added service for members. So think of it as that instead of unwelcome entry.

The majority of visible security anywhere is just for show. It may limit liability, it may not. It also doesn't seem to stop the major incidents that occur and steps are taken to improve security after the fact. Bottom line is that an attack can happen anytime, anywhere and security won't stop it. As far as Disney security is concerned, several times last December people in our party caused the metal detectors to go off, three times we were told to pass without further inspection. Disney will do what they want and we can either accept their policies or spend our money somewhere else.

:earsboy: Bill

I continue to appreciate your feedback.

Here is a bit more about me. I am retired and disabled. (that picture of me in the avatar is when I was not an old fart - LOL) I use my own scooter for mobility. I can not either walk or stand for very long. Normally, at home, we are night owls and frequently hit the sack around 1am or 2am. So, to add to the previous sharing of what I feel about this subject I have concerns not being your typical "normal" guest not getting up at the crack of dawn and going to the parks. Our home resort is Old Key West and we have really enjoyed the resort. We typically have annual passes so we are not concerned about when we come and go. We typically get out of our room sometime in the early afternoon. We come and go depending on how we feel.

So, having read thousands of accounts here at Disboards.com about this subject, I have read if you go to the front desk to ask for housekeeping to come in the afternoon they will refuse you and merely tell you to call housekeeping. Once calling housekeeping, once making our request I have read that they will not guarantee it. They will merely acknowledge it as merely a request. So, I can just see myself waking up from a knock on the door at say 8:30am trying to slowly hobble to the door (my wife is a sound sleeper) to ask them to come back later. The typical response I have read is following this interchange you will then have a phone call from security stating they will be there in a few minutes for (state any reason). So, for us, this would be like being woken up around 5am in the morning for "normal" folks. All for access on their schedule and not ours while on vacation.

As the OP, when you add this to my previous posts in this thread, you might see there is more to the picture at play. It was not my intention of keeping this from you but honestly felt it shouldn't matter. But as this discussion is evolving it may give you more understanding why I am reacting to this issue the way I am.

Additionally, our next trip to WDW is scheduled for the later part of October into November 2018. It will be the longest stay we have ever had - 19 nights. So, adding to our concerns is having this new policy added during the longest stay. We are praying the kinks will be worked out as I can not imagine people are not having issues with it. Another reason I wanted to share my concerns with Disney.

Thank you, OP, for explaining more. BUT you don't really have to. You eloquently expressed your opinion and course of action, and I accept that.
I get tired of the "if you don't like it, don't go, or sell, or??" feelings expressed at times on here. If someone doesn't see your viewpoint or agree with it, that seems to be the old standby, just don't go. But you are invested in Disney, love Disney and old key west and you are allowed to express your feelings here. Many of us feel the same way.
I was one of those posters you read about with a bad experience with housekeeping/security during our trip March 2018. It happened one time and I won't go into it again, but it was irritating, frustrating, and makes you feel like a criminal instead of an honored guest (who is paying thousands for privilege of staying onsite). A vacation is supposed to be relaxing, an experience where you can go where you want and do what you want. You should be able to sleep in for WHATEVER reason, or for no reason at all. You should feel safe while taking a shower or napping without fear someone will knock and come in, or wake you up. If you want to stay in your room all day napping, that's your prerogative, It's YOUR vacation and your money spent. This whole thing is ridiculous.
If Disney just does what other hotels have been reported to, such as call your room if the DND sign has been up 24 or 48 hours, to see how you are, or come and knock to check on you after such a time, then that would be okay with me.
The way this has been haphazardously instituted is insulting. No wonder they can't find and keep housekeepers.
Anyway, We are yearly visitors and are rethinking this. It's no one elses business if you sell or don't go anymore or not. We all love Disney on here.
I, for one, applaud your effort by writing to them. I did too. So thank you for sharing.

I shouldn't comment because I'm not wild about the so-called Disney bubble for many reasons. This just adds to it.

I dislike the notion that hotel staff can enter a room at any time. I realize that they can but should they? Does good service allow for such intrusions? It might be their hotel but I'm a guest and would like to be treated with respect. If I stay at a family member's house then they can also walk into any room where I might be. They wouldn't of course so why should a business being paid for the use of a room do so? I see it as something they are allowed to do but really shouldn't. Ymmv

Before someone says to not go, I usually don't.

If I stay at a family member's house then they can also walk into any room where I might be. They wouldn't of course

ha, depends on the family. Same is true here. Every family isn't the same, and neither is every hotel, even in the same chain.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I guess I should have gone to law school. The 4th amendment point was apparently not accurate based on the research I had done. No wonder Disney blew me off. But the other points I made I believe are good ones. But whether or not I was right or wrong on the 4th I still believe that Disney should not be intruding on our space. It just feels so darned violating. It feels the same when my home was robbed 20 years ago. Someone broke down my back door and stole our stuff. In the Disney case they are stealing my private time or walking into my space with impunity while on vacation. It feels awful and I really don’t think it is the right thing to do to their guests. So, cutting through the legal crap it simply comes down to that. I feel violated and there apparently is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry for the book I wrote before. Sometimes people have to hit ya over the head so you end up with a teaching point. I don’t regret, however, sharing this. Hopefully, you have a better understanding why I did it. Maybe others will feel empowered to share their feelings with Disney.

Cheers folks.

FIrst, I understand your concerns, and while I do not share them, I respect that everyone has their own circumstances and do not want any intrusions. I will say that I believe DIsney blew you off because your post was WAAAAAY too long winded, and while it was thoughtful, there were those issues with the 4th amendments, etc. I think Disney is used to getting lectured about the rights of guests, and has been "threatened" with legal action. That kind of letter actually diminishes the value of a legitimate concern.

Personally, if my circumstances were yours, I would make a point of sharing them with the concierge. I am not sure that would stop visits, but if I was disturbed when I specifically asked not to be, I would have another conversation, but this one would be with the manager. I know that there has been some unpleasantness in regards to staff entering without proper warning, or entering when people are trying to sleep or rest, which is not acceptable IMO, so I woudl make it clear in advance that I will not appreciate that treatment. I generally can make my point without losing my patience, and I seldom need to do so twice.

This begs the question.... Are there any reports of guests having their day disturbed by the trash service since the policy was implemented?

(Maybe I should ask on the DVC board?)

There are several reasons, besides the Vegas shooting, that Disney feels the need for these checks. There have been many cases of children being kidnapped and kept in rooms at Disney, human traffickers have used Disney rooms. Then, there is the issue of someone becoming ill in a room, or worse. That's happened many times as well.
So, all of you that feel the need to use door stops or such to prevent someone from entering your room, you had best hope you never have an emergency and call for help. Drastic? Sure. I've been at WDW about three times since they started this policy. I've been at OKW, Polynesian, All Star Movies and Music. Only one time did I have someone come to my room while I was there. It was midday at OKW, I hadn't hung the 'room occupied' sign out They knocked gently, I answered the door, the CM said he would be just a minute, he emptied two trash cans and was gone within 2 mins. I never saw anyone at the Polynesian or Music. At Movies, I did forgo housekeeping. I had a visit, on my first day, from a CM that wasn't a housekeeper. He asked if everything was okay, I said it was, and off he went. Never had trash emptied, but someone may have entered my room. No idea if they did or didn't.
It's just not a big deal for me.

Wow, as a parent, that is very scary to read that. It makes me feel better about the policy if it can help stop even one case of kidnapping or human trafficking....very scary to even think about this happening at WDW.

There are several reasons, besides the Vegas shooting, that Disney feels the need for these checks. There have been many cases of children being kidnapped and kept in rooms at Disney, human traffickers have used Disney rooms. Then, there is the issue of someone becoming ill in a room, or worse. That's happened many times as well.
So, all of you that feel the need to use door stops or such to prevent someone from entering your room, you had best hope you never have an emergency and call for help. Drastic? Sure. I've been at WDW about three times since they started this policy. I've been at OKW, Polynesian, All Star Movies and Music. Only one time did I have someone come to my room while I was there. It was midday at OKW, I hadn't hung the 'room occupied' sign out They knocked gently, I answered the door, the CM said he would be just a minute, he emptied two trash cans and was gone within 2 mins. I never saw anyone at the Polynesian or Music. At Movies, I did forgo housekeeping. I had a visit, on my first day, from a CM that wasn't a housekeeper. He asked if everything was okay, I said it was, and off he went. Never had trash emptied, but someone may have entered my room. No idea if they did or didn't.
It's just not a big deal for me.
Do you have links to the stories on kidnapped kids kept at Disney hotels? That's pretty alarming.

I had not heard about the kidnapping or trafficking aspect to this. I would be interested in a legit link which documents it.

While I have not read all the posts I personally can’t see how this new room check policy helps much other then annoy people . We did not get disturbed but we did have housekeeping in so maybe that’s why ?
The main reason I find it useless is because it seems to be a “ show “ , we had in room dining one night and my DH had his duty weapon out and sitting on the table ( because we were in the room , when we leave he locks it in the safe ) and no one blinked a eye at seeing a gun out in plain sight .

While I have not read all the posts I personally can’t see how this new room check policy helps much other then annoy people . We did not get disturbed but we did have housekeeping in so maybe that’s why ?
The main reason I find it useless is because it seems to be a “ show “ , we had in room dining one night and my DH had his duty weapon out and sitting on the table ( because we were in the room , when we leave he locks it in the safe ) and no one blinked a eye at seeing a gun out in plain sight .

Amazing. I would have thought that would have at least generated a call to security. You just proved my point about it being merely theater. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with Disney management as well as those of us reading these boards. Your concerns are ones that many of us share. Do not be deterred that your approach or your argument was not perfect. You gave it a good shot and your opinion has been registered by management. That's what is important.

There are people on these boards that can not pass up the opportunity to belittle or demean others for sharing thoughts that they do not themselves agree with. A good way to handle that can be found in this quote: "When they go low we go high".

Keep up the good work. It is up to guests like yourself to advocate for the treatment they feel is correct. Know that others are joining you in that effort.

~NM

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I guess I should have gone to law school. The 4th amendment point was apparently not accurate based on the research I had done. No wonder Disney blew me off. But the other points I made I believe are good ones. But whether or not I was right or wrong on the 4th I still believe that Disney should not be intruding on our space. It just feels so darned violating. It feels the same when my home was robbed 20 years ago. Someone broke down my back door and stole our stuff. In the Disney case they are stealing my private time or walking into my space with impunity while on vacation. It feels awful and I really don’t think it is the right thing to do to their guests. So, cutting through the legal crap it simply comes down to that. I feel violated and there apparently is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry for the book I wrote before. Sometimes people have to hit ya over the head so you end up with a teaching point. I don’t regret, however, sharing this. Hopefully, you have a better understanding why I did it. Maybe others will feel empowered to share their feelings with Disney.

Cheers folks.

OP, I agree with @Ninja Mom. People on here can be SO nasty. And though the argument centered around the 4th was not the right one, as you later acknowledged, I am glad that you shared your feelings on this with Disney.

I despise this new policy. Strikes me as security theatre at best, massive inconvenience and scary to some at worst. The more people who complain the better, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter