An Inch shy of 44 inches

Because surely all of you have gone through life without calling someone a name and not apologize for it? Whatever. I did what I did. It's done now. If a situation were to present itself in which I should apologize for it, I do. You parent your way, I will parent my way. This is why I hate message boards. It's done with. Move on.

I am beginning to think that you hate this message board because your behavior was not validated, even though you continued to defend it. WE have all be angry and we have all behaved badly, although in my entire adult life I cannot remember ever calling someone doing their job a derogatory name. The problem many of us have is not that you lost your temper and reacted in a manner most of us hope to avoid, but that you are unapologetic.

As I have said upthread, and many other tines on this board, I have been in customer service most of my life. I have experienced the best and the worst in people, and therefore would never ever call someone a name. If I was upset enough to feel a reprimand was in order, I would not take it upon myself to do so, but would go to a supervisor and request teh issed be addressed. In all things, I remember who is the adult, and that person is me. It woudl be my saddest disgrace if I taught any young person that the answer to a problem is to be rude or crass. So, you do you. Call names, show your daughter to tit for tat, and that in all things getting in the last word is the rule at hand. I wil continue to be me. Teach the young ones in my care that we do not always get our way, that sometimes being right is not always going to get the desired outcome, and that if I decide to cheat the rule and then get called out for it, to take my medicine gracefully. Personally, I woudl refrain from cheating the system because I woudl be embarrassed.

Because surely all of you have gone through life without calling someone a name and not apologize for it? Whatever. I did what I did. It's done now. If a situation were to present itself in which I should apologize for it, I do. You parent your way, I will parent my way. This is why I hate message boards. It's done with. Move on.

I'm 45, I'm sure as a child, teen and even young adult I've called someone a name. As an adult I cant even think of a situation I have been in to warrant that. I do get there are times where we as parents may "lose it" like when your child's safety is threatened in some way but in general we should be conducting ourselves in a way that we want our kids to conduct themselves. That is something we usually learn as we get older, more mature and become parents.
I'm not in the habit of calling people names because they won't allow my kids to do something against the rules, even if I think I am in the right. That takes a special kind of entitlement mentality that I just don't have.

Honestly my worst parenting moment was "sneaking" my twins on space mountain. We didnt do our research and someone managed to get by the CM, they were to short, I dont remember by how much, we were so excited they were on until I realized I was unable to hold onto my daughter and when the ride started and we were plunged into darkness I sat absolutely terrified that she wasnt in the restraint and would fall out. However long that ride is and to this day she remembers she loved it, all I remember is the absolute terror that she was in danger and it was my fault.

Honestly my worst parenting moment was "sneaking" my twins on space mountain. We didnt do our research and someone managed to get by the CM, they were to short, I dont remember by how much, we were so excited they were on until I realized I was unable to hold onto my daughter and when the ride started and we were plunged into darkness I sat absolutely terrified that she wasnt in the restraint and would fall out. However long that ride is and to this day she remembers she loved it, all I remember is the absolute terror that she was in danger and it was my fault.

Oh my...the anxiety you felt :(. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Perhaps parents should trust that ride limits are there for a reason and not try to game the system. That way they don’t have to worry about disappointment if their child isn’t allowed on.

When I was a kid I went with a church youth group to the local 6 flags. I don’t remember how old I was but I was pretty young. I loved roller coasters and was excited to go on the one with a loop. It turns out that it scarier than I anticipated because when we went upside down around the loop I didn’t feel adequately strapped in even though I was belted in properly. The bigger kids riding with me didn’t feel that way. The loop didn’t scare me but that feeling of falling out did.

I work in auto and general liability insurance claims. If I had a dollar for every time I've been called a derogatory name, I'd be able to pay for APs. :D

Like it's your fault their claim got denied? I can't imagine cussing someone for things just being what they are. I'm another that has never spoken in an ugly manner to someone just doing their job.

Like it's your fault their claim got denied?

Well...actually it can be. Don't mean to sidetrack the thread too much, but that's sort of the "nature of the beast". Imagine a car accident at a traffic light. Each driver swears they had a green light. There are no witnesses. Obviously, it's not possible both cars had the green light at the same time. How do you as the insurance company decide who's at fault? So that's a situation where people can get pretty ugly. It's just part of the job, and you just have to remember it's never personal.

On the OP topic, I mentioned earlier that when my twins were just a hair short, we "cheated" the system. We bought them thick soled sandals and made sure they stood straight up. I don't feel bad or think I put my kids in jeopardy. They had a blast, and so did I. However, when they did get turned away (both at WDW, but at Six Flags too), I didn't really get mad at the CM.

You guys, she WAS tall enough. Are you missing that part entirely? I was being sarcastic with the whole 47.99999 inches thing. She measured at gate 1. You can say all the things you want about safety, why did she measure at 1 pole and 10 mins later not. It's 100 degrees out, we are hot, we are tired, my kid just wanted to ride. No entitlement, she went in that line, she stood in it with the though that "Hey, I get to ride this, finally", and she was told no, in a rude way, and it brought her to tears. So in the moment, I did what I did. I was in no way trying to cheat anything, but I was angry at her lack of empathy for my kid. Have you ever had a CM be rude to you? We are talking 1 isolated incident. Again, let's move on now.

We're taking our 4 1/2 yo in a couple months. Right now (with shoes) he's about an inch shy of being able to ride Space Mtn. This kid lives for roller coasters and there are plenty for him to choose from this time around. Should we even try to get on Space mtn? Its not a big deal if he can't and we've already explained to him that he isn't tall enough. But i am wondering how strict the height guidelines are enforced? I know its a safety thing and we would never try to force the issue. I'm just curious.

Well, kids do grow in spurts, so I would tell him you'll certainly measure again closer to your trip, but really not to count on this particular coaster.

I definitely wouldn't try any tricks if he's still an inch away by the time of your trip! But if he's borderline - as in your measurement at home varies at 44" or not based on the time of day, he should:
- wear sneakers with a decent sole, but not a ridiculously high one
- stand straight and breathe in (practice this)
- know that the bar is supposed to touch his head, so it doesn't feel weird
- try first thing in the morning

Safety trumps everything. I think I went hoarse explaining all the safety features at Disney. It doesn't matter if the 2nd CM made a mistake measuring or maybe the first one did! What matters is your kid's safety, even if that means they have to miss out on riding.

Yes, I agree safety is important. At the same time, if SM (for example) ride height is 44", I don't think that a child who is 43.75" tall is in mortal danger if they ride it.

Yes, I agree safety is important. At the same time, if SM (for example) ride height is 44", I don't think that a child who is 43.75" tall is in mortal danger if they ride it.
I also agree that if a parent purposely tries to sneak a child who doesn't fit the height requirement onto the ride and an accident happens, those parents should have no right to sue for any damages.

I also agree that if a parent purposely tries to sneak a child who doesn't fit the height requirement onto the ride and an accident happens, those parents should have no right to sue for any damages.

That was never really part of the previous discussion in this thread, but OK. Going down that path...if the sole cause of the accident was the child being too small then I'd agree with you 100%. Although in reality that's not how it works, believe me. On the other hand, if the accident was completely unrelated to the childs' size, then no they shouldn't be completely barred.

That was never really part of the previous discussion in this thread, but OK. Going down that path...if the sole cause of the accident was the child being too small then I'd agree with you 100%. Although in reality that's not how it works, believe me. On the other hand, if the accident was completely unrelated to the childs' size, then no they shouldn't be completely barred.
The issue was height restriction. OP thinks her child was tall enough, and maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. Maybe the first measurement was wrong and the second measurement was the accurate measuring stick. Maybe children who are 36" tall would be safe on the ride. My point is Disney set the height restriction on that attraction, regardless of whether people shorter than that limit could still be safe, and parents who knowingly try to skirt around Disney's rules shouldn't have any means to come at Disney in a legal fashion if their child got hurt but wasn't supposed to be on that side anyway.

The issue was height restriction. OP thinks her child was tall enough, and maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. Maybe the first measurement was wrong and the second measurement was the accurate measuring stick. Maybe children who are 36" tall would be safe on the ride. My point is Disney set the height restriction on that attraction, regardless of whether people shorter than that limit could still be safe, and parents who knowingly try to skirt around Disney's rules shouldn't have any means to come at Disney in a legal fashion if their child got hurt but wasn't supposed to be on that side anyway.

Maybe they shouldn't, but they do (have the right...and I'm sure it's been done).

Just to clarify: it was not the OP with the actual ride issues. But I totally get what you are saying.

Interesting. But if the family skirted the rules the kid wouldn't have been on the ride at all. I'm not sure I disagree with you actually, but I can see why one could make the argument that they couldn't be party to a suit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter