An American question about UK Food

I love a well-made custard, there is no comparison between tinned or powdered with the real thing freshly made. Of course, the experience is enhanced when poured over your favourite dish, in my case it's apple crumble.

Birds custard is to custard is the same as saying that a MacDonalds cheeseburger is a real cheeseburger.

Birds Custard is the convenience version that grew in popularity during the war. Neither my Mam nor my dear wife have ever made custard using custard powder, they use fresh egg yolks and milk.

We do also have solid custards or set custards and these are again made with raw ingredients and not powder.

In France I believe that custard is called 'creme englaise'

Sounds like what in the U.S. would be called vanilla pudding. Here's a recipe for vanilla pudding:

1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
2tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2teaspoons vanilla

In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
    Gradually stir at least half of the hot mixture into egg yolks, then stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
    Pour pudding into dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled. Store covered in refrigerator.

Yes and no. Pudding is a stand alone dessert. British custard is often thinner, and used as a topping for cobblers and baked goods. More like a vanilla cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter