Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Somebody on a previous page mentioned BBQ chains in the US. There's no worthwhile national American BBQ chain in the US. BBQ in the US is often very regional. For example, Texas BBQ is different from Kansas City BBQ, which is different from Carolina BBQ.

Wherever you happen to be in the US, just do an Internet search for the best BBQ joint in whichever city you want and then go there...and the chances are that it'll be better than any chain BBQ place.

North Carolina actually has two types of BBQ. Western North Carolina's version is similar to Kansas City style. What most people outside NC consider Carolina BBQ is actually Eastern North Carolina style. I'm from WNC. Most people there think ENC style BBQ is terrible.

Last edited:
Canadian Boxing day once again heralds back to our largely British roots…

“December 26 was the day centuries ago when lords of the manor and aristocrats typically distributed “Christmas boxes” often filled with small gifts, money and leftovers from Christmas dinner to their household servants and employees, who were required to work on December 25, in recognition of good service throughout the year. These boxes were, in essence, holiday bonuses. Another popular theory is that the Boxing Day moniker arose from the alms boxes that were placed in churches during the Advent season for the collection of monetary donations from parishioners. Clergy members distributed the contents of the boxes to the poor on December 26, which is also the feast of St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr and a figure known for acts of charity. (Ireland celebrates December 26 as St. Stephen’s Day.)“

On the 26th of December, we celebrate Washington’s Crossing/battle of Trenton (at least in NJ and in some other nearby areas). Soccer fans in the USA celebrate Boxing Day since the Premier League is on all day. It’s also one of my relatives birthdays as well (they get double gifts). :-) Do you guys get the WDW Christmas Special in Canada?

Last edited:
On the 26th of December, we celebrate Washington’s Crossing/battle of Trenton (at least in NJ and in some other nearby areas). Soccer fans in the USA celebrate Boxing Day since the Premier League is on all day. It’s also one of my relatives birthdays as well (they get double gifts). :-) Do you guys get the WDW Christmas Special in Canada?

Yes! On both the Canadian & American channels 😀

It’s a big part of our Christmas morning family traditions in my home.. since the very first parade years & years ago.

North Carolina actually has two types of BBQ. Western North Carolina's version is similar to Kansas City style. What most people outside NC consider Carolina BBQ is actually Eastern North Carolina style. I'm from WNC. Most people there think ENC style BBQ is terrible.

I've heard that many times. One is barbecue sauce based (for lack of a better memory for terminology right now) and the other is vinegar based.

The other big question - which meat? Beef, pork or even chicken?

Having lived in Texas many years ago, I got used to Texas style BBQ and if I ever go back to South Texas, I will get BBQ, fried shrimp, and some Tex Mex food.

Yes! On both the Canadian & American channels 😀

It’s a big part of our Christmas morning family traditions in my home.. since the very first parade years & years ago.
Do you guys get Macy’s holiday specials as well (Thanksgiving Day parade/4th of July Fireworks)?

As a Kansas Citian sorry NC (regardless of eastern vs western) is NOT similar to KC.

There is no such special any more. There's a Disney Parks Magical Christmas Celebration now, which airs on ABC in the US.

I've heard that many times. One is barbecue sauce based (for lack of a better memory for terminology right now) and the other is vinegar based.

The other big question - which meat? Beef, pork or even chicken?

Having lived in Texas many years ago, I got used to Texas style BBQ and if I ever go back to South Texas, I will get BBQ, fried shrimp, and some Tex Mex food.

Pork & chicken

You're correct about the two sauces. WNC's is tomato based. ENC's is predominantly vinegar.

As a Kansas Citian sorry NC (regardless of eastern vs western) is NOT similar to KC.
How many times have you had BBQ in WNC? The sauce is practically the same as KC style. ENC BBQ isn't similar to either.

Last edited:
How many times have you had BBQ in WNC? The sauce is practically the same as KC style. ENC BBQ isn't similar to either.
The characteristic of KC BBQ sauce is usually comprised of molasses and usually more sugar in the sauce. There are vinegar without molasses varieties but molasses is considered the hallmark of most sauces.

There are some places where you can get sauce more similar to what you're talking about with vinegar, totally not the same as saying the styles are similar and no way are the sauces practically the same when you're talking about an entire region. Style refers to a lot more than just sauce.

As an example sure I can get dry rub brisket in TX same as KC but TX and KC do not have the same style. I can get pulled pork (which actually I quite like) in KC and Carolina but they are not the same. I much prefer molasses based vs vinegar based BBQ sauces personally.

ETA: I see you mentioned tomato based for WNC. Respectfully if that's what you consider them to be similar...well wow...goodness that's a very very very minor correlation there.

Last edited:
The characteristic of KC BBQ sauce is usually comprised of molasses and usually more sugar in the sauce. There are vinegar without molasses varieties but molasses is considered the hallmark of most sauces.

There are some places where you can get sauce more similar to what you're talking about with vinegar, totally not the same as saying the styles are similar and no way are the sauces practically the same when you're talking about an entire region. Style refers to a lot more than just sauce.

As an example sure I can get dry rub brisket in TX same as KC but TX and KC do not have the same style. I can get pulled pork (which actually I quite like) in KC and Carolina but they are not the same. I much prefer molasses based vs vinegar based BBQ sauces personally.

I'm saying quite the opposite. WNC sauce doesn't have a vinegar base.

I'm saying quite the opposite. WNC sauce doesn't have vinegar.
I edited just a moment ago when I read the comment above mine you quoted.

My ETA to my above post is this:
I see you mentioned tomato based for WNC. Respectfully if that's what you consider them to be similar...well wow...goodness that's a very very very minor correlation there.

Being tomato based doesn't at all make them similar.

Whenever I look up western north carolina I still see vinegar heavily mentioned. Regardless of whether vinegar or no vinegar though not enough overlap to consider similar here.

I edited just a moment ago when I read the comment above mine you quoted.

My ETA to my above post is this:
I see you mentioned tomato based for WNC. Respectfully if that's what you consider them to be similar...well wow...goodness that's a very very very minor correlation there.

Being tomato based doesn't at all make them similar.

Whenever I look up western north carolina I still see vinegar heavily mentioned. Regardless of whether vinegar or no vinegar though...
Well, I grew up eating it & still do. Google isn't always the best source of info. WNC's sauce is sweet & spicy sauce with a tomato base. Like anywhere, the amount of sweetness varies.

I'm not as passionate about the topic as you appear to be, so I'm going to let this go. My original point when replying to this thread was to say North Carolina doesn't just have one type of sauce. The two regions have very different sauces.

Last edited:
Canadians, what Canadians cultural trait would you like see Americans adopt and what American cultural trait would you want your country to adopt?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter