Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Can Americans sing along with the Canadian national anthem? Can you actually name all of our provinces and territories?
Doubtful to the first one but TBH most would have no reason to, there's not really an opportunity at large for that to be played enough for one to sing along with it.

As for the second probably most know at least some (BC, Quebec, Ontario are/should be well-known), all less so. But to be fair there are territories or provinces that really aren't even mentioned much, can't say I've ever heard Nunavut in conversation or well ever. It's not like we know all of Mexico's states either because only a few are heavily mentioned (although usually it's just cities that are more well known).

To flip it can you name all 50 states without having to look it up? Do you know where each state is located at on a map without looking it up (that would be a bonus because frankly Americans have trouble with that at times if late night shows or trivia shows are any indication lol).

The USA has territories too. Most could not name them. I couldn’t without looking. But I’m aware of them. I could name all the Canadian ones and provinces. Does me no good though.

Doubtful to the first one but TBH most would have no reason to, there's not really an opportunity at large for that to be played enough for one to sing along with it.

As for the second probably most know at least some (BC, Quebec, Ontario are/should be well-known), all less so. But to be fair there are territories or provinces that really aren't even mentioned much, can't say I've ever heard Nunavut in conversation or well ever. It's not like we know all of Mexico's states either because only a few are heavily mentioned (although usually it's just cities that are more well known).

To flip it can you name all 50 states without having to look it up? Do you know where each state is located at on a map without looking it up (that would be a bonus because frankly Americans have trouble with that at times if late night shows or trivia shows are any indication lol).

Oh god, no way could I name all 50 states, let alone know where they are located! I could *probably* get 40ish maybe?

Here's a question, can Americans actually name all your Presidents in order? I know for sure that there is no way I could name all of our Prime Ministers!

Yes, I would be able to name all 50 states and probably a few territories too. As to putting them on a map, I can do most between the west coast and the Midwest. It’s when we get to Texas and east from there that I start getting confused. Plus the upper right corner always gets me super confused.

Can Americans sing along with the Canadian national anthem? Can you actually name all of our provinces and territories?
As a Canadian my mom always commented that they learned all the U.S. States and Capitals in school, but people in the U.S. did not.
As for the national anthem, that gets tricky. No, I'm sure. However, my mom and her siblings always sang God Save the Queen at the start of the school day, not O Canada. And the Union Jack, not the Maple Leaf was the Canadian flag until 1965 so they were in their 40's when that happened.

Would you consider Canada to be culturally closer to the US or the UK?

Okay, school drop off done and coffee acquired so now I can think about this question.

I'd have to say both and neither to a certain extent. We are a little bit like Americans, we are a little bit like the British, and we are completely Canadian.

Yeah, we are influenced by what we see on tv and in the movies, many of which are American. However, we do tend to land for the most part on the left side of social issues which is more of a UK thing than a US one.

I remember someone once saying this to me in class one day. They said that America is a melting pot whereas Canada is more of a mixed salad. We have a lot of diversity in our culture but we do not assimilate it.

Also:

Here's a question, can Americans actually name all your Presidents in order? I know for sure that there is no way I could name all of our Prime Ministers!

I'm sure some people can, but not most. We learn it at some point, but I've long forgotten by now.

Just like at one time I could name all the capitals of European countries (thanks, Sporcle), but I haven't used that in years so I don't think I could do it now.

Oh god, no way could I name all 50 states, let alone know where they are located! I could *probably* get 40ish maybe?

40 is good I would say :)

There's a catchy song for it taught in school called Fifty Nifty that takes you through all the states in alphabetical order. I remember learning as a kid the state capitals and having to remember that some do not make as much sense often because the state capital was chosen years ago and the population may not be that great in the actual city. For example Jefferson City, the state capitol of Missouri (the state next to me) has just over 43,000 people. But Kansas City (the city not even counting the metro as a whole) has just over 508,000 (both numbers from the 2020 census).

As far as Presidents? No I doubt we could name all of them. But there's a catchy song for that too taught in schools. I'd say most can name the earliest and the latest but then there's ones that get lost in the middle unless they are well-know Presidents. We're currently on our 46th.

Oohh question do Canadians have librarians (well really just buildings in general) to pay homage to their Prime Ministers detailing their history and all?

In the U.S. Presidents have their Presidential libraries although there are only 13. I actually haven't been to the one in my area nor have I traveled to the one a few hours west but I really should. I have however been to the LB Johnson one and thought it was pretty neat.

Oohh question do Canadians have librarians (well really just buildings in general) to pay homage to their Prime Ministers detailing their history and all?

In the U.S. Presidents have their Presidential libraries although there are only 13. I actually haven't been to the one in my area nor have I traveled to the one a few hours west but I really should. I have however been to the LB Johnson one and thought it was pretty neat.

No, we do not.

Yes, I would be able to name all 50 states and probably a few territories too. As to putting them on a map, I can do most between the west coast and the Midwest. It’s when we get to Texas and east from there that I start getting confused. Plus the upper right corner always gets me super confused.
The New England area can def. be tricky. Location-wise I feel like New Hampshire and Vermont often get mixed up. I think a lot of people remember Rhode Island's location if they can remember it's the smallest state in size. Although Delaware is small I usually remember it because of it's shape.

I can sing your anthem with no problem (soccer fan). In American history classes, teachers have blank maps and give them to students. We had to fill in each state and name each capital. It was an actual regular exam. If we could name Canada’s capital cities in the correct locations, we got bonus points. 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter