Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

I don’t know capital cities, not even all of the Canadian ones. I would do ok with a USA map and the states….but couldn’t list them off. I should try, see how many I can get!
:teeth: Awww, c'mon - we've only got 13 - you can do it if you try. :cheer2:How about I give you the capitals and you tell us where they belong, OK?

St. John's
Whitehorse
Regina
Toronto
Charlottetown
Edmonton
Quebec City (easy one)
Yellowknife
Fredericton
Winnipeg
Halifax
Iqaluit
Victoria

:teeth: Awww, c'mon - we've only got 13 - you can do it if you try. :cheer2:How about I give you the capitals and you tell us where they belong, OK?

St. John's Newfoundland
Whitehorse Yukon
Regina Saskatchewan
Toronto The Universe
Charlottetown PEI
Edmonton Alberta
Quebec City (easy one) Ontario!
Yellowknife Northwest Territories
Fredericton New Brunswick
Winnipeg Manitoba
Halifax Nova Scotia
Iqaluit Nunavut
Victoria British Columbia

Honestly shaky on the eastern capitals! Hubby helped ;)

And Buzz, just before bed I started making a list of states. I got up to 34….how can I not know 18?? Actually thought of a couple more after I put my phone down, so maybe closer to 15 I don’t know. But I really likely know them all, just couldn’t think of them off the top of my head.

And Buzz, just before bed I started making a list of states. I got up to 34….how can I not know 18?? Actually thought of a couple more after I put my phone down, so maybe closer to 15 I don’t know. But I really likely know them all, just couldn’t think of them off the top of my head.
The pdfs on the previous page would help.

I see what you did there. Apology accepted. :rotfl:

Canadians, is “it’s a wonderful life” a popular Christmas movie in Canada? It an American tradition to watch it on NBC every Christmas Eve.

Canadians, is “it’s a wonderful life” a popular Christmas movie in Canada? It an American tradition to watch it on NBC every Christmas Eve.
I would say it is as popular as any other Christmas movie during the holiday season. That being said, I have very distinct childhood memories of The Wizard of Oz being shown every Christmas Eve (Saskatchewan). That is the Christmas Eve tradition that I remember most.

Ummm...Apple Walnut butter tarts are NOT butter tarts IMO.

Trying to find the best recipe for butter tarts since I haven’t had them in so long. (I’m a no-raisins girl myself.)

I am a non-raisin butter tart girl myself. Why bog down that buttery, sugary goodness with icky brown blobs?

This is my mom's recipe for the filling and I think it turns out a decent butter tart. If she was in a rush, she would often just use the frozen tart shells. I omit the raisins (obviously), but will sometimes put toasted pecans in (turning them into a type of pecan pie, I guess). My mother in law adds a bit of lemon juice to hers. I'm not entirely sure why, but you could go ahead and add a 1/2 tsp. or so if you like.

Set oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin pans with pastry. (The pastry shrinks as it bakes, so make it higher in the pan than you think.) Pour ½ cup boiling water over 1/3 cup raisins. Let stand 10 minutes then drain. Mix together 3 Tbsp. butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup corn syrup, 1 egg, ½ tsp. vanilla, a dash of salt and the raisins. Spoon into unbaked shells. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 375 degrees F.

I am a non-raisin butter tart girl myself. Why bog down that buttery, sugary goodness with icky brown blobs?

This is my mom's recipe for the filling and I think it turns out a decent butter tart. If she was in a rush, she would often just use the frozen tart shells. I omit the raisins (obviously), but will sometimes put toasted pecans in (turning them into a type of pecan pie, I guess). My mother in law adds a bit of lemon juice to hers. I'm not entirely sure why, but you could go ahead and add a 1/2 tsp. or so if you like.

Set oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin pans with pastry. (The pastry shrinks as it bakes, so make it higher in the pan than you think.) Pour ½ cup boiling water over 1/3 cup raisins. Let stand 10 minutes then drain. Mix together 3 Tbsp. butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup corn syrup, 1 egg, ½ tsp. vanilla, a dash of salt and the raisins. Spoon into unbaked shells. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 375 degrees F.

They are 100% not butter tarts. Maybe (hopefully) that was posted in error.

Thank you so much for the recipe! I’d much rather use one that I know somebody has had success with rather than something off a random website!

Truly, there's probably not a Canadian alive that would consider apple/walnut whatevers to be traditional butter tarts. I'd suggest that if there are people in the States that make them, it's without an understanding of just now iconic our butter tarts are. It would be similar to Canadians making garlic-balsamic grits or a vegan, gluten-free cheeseburger.

Just a question Buzz (not trying to give you a hard time): Have ever eaten a traditional, Canadian butter tart?

Last edited:
Truly, there's probably not a Canadian alive that would consider apple/walnut whatevers to be traditional butter tarts. I'd suggest that if there are people in the States that make them, it's without an understanding of just now iconic our butter tarts are. It would be similar to Canadians making garlic-balsamic grits or a vegan, gluten-free cheeseburger.

Just a question Buzz (not trying to give you a hard time): Have ever eaten a traditional, Canadian butter tart?
No, I just googled recipes from YouTube. I hope to try an authentic one if I visit Canada in person post pandemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter