Am I the only weirdo that loves the laundromat?

jaybirdsmommy

DIS Veteran
My dryer is broken, so I'm sitting here watching all the laundry spin in the wall of dryers and it occurs to me that this is really soothing. Or maybe I'm just weird. Anyone else?

I like a clean, well- lit laundromat. The one closest to me (that I had to use when our dryer broke) was small, dirty and covered with dryer lint. And dark even though it was daytime. And no chairs, so everyone was putting their dirty butts on the folding tables. Ick, ick, ick.

I agree, if they're clean and well lit I like them. I've actually kind of enjoy doing laundry on long vacations and have had some really interesting laundromat experiences. London tops my list. I was in my 20's and single and a trucker from Scotland was trying to pick me up and an elderly lady and I had quite a conversation about trying to get to her medical appointments via public transportation. It was fun to have totally non-tourist interaction.

My dryer is broken, so I'm sitting here watching all the laundry spin in the wall of dryers and it occurs to me that this is really soothing. Or maybe I'm just weird. Anyone else?

Don't spend too much time there or you may begin to develop nefarious plans! Either the spinning dryers are a means of hypnotization and mind control, or the smell of fabric softener affects the inhibitors in your brain which are responsible for reasonable thoughts and actions.

If I didn't have to pile all my laundry into the car, drive across town, and drag it into the building... it wouldn't be too bad.
But, I'd much rather do it at home without those added steps. :) :)

I work at a preschool.We had a young man named Marcus who was obsessed with laundry.His birthday treat was going to the laundramat.His punishment was being banned from DOING the laundry.He could talk detergent and fabric softener like no one else.He was five at the time.

A friend told me about a place he used to go that was a combination laundromat and bar. You would start your laundry then head to the adjacent bar, with pub grub and sports on TVs and all. They even had lights on the wall to indicate when your laundry was done, so you could head back over to pop it into the dryer or fold your dry clothes. I can't remember where that was, but it seemed ingenious to me.

I didn't mind when I had to go. The laundromat I used was clean and had TVs and vending machines. DD was a good kid and we'd bring color books and she'd be fine for the 2 hours. I much preferred that over our apartment building at the time. If I didn't remove my clothes as soon as they were done, they were taken out by someone else - seriously, within a minute. The laundry room had no room for a chair to wait, and I couldn't leave DD alone. I came out once and saw the person doing it and asked her nicely not to touch my clothes and she started screaming that I should remove them myself as soon as they were done if I didn't want anyone else taking them out. We started going to the laundromat every Saturday morning the rest of the time we lived there.

I love getting all my laundry done in a much shorter amount of time.

YES. I can get all 5 loads done in one shot rather than hauling things up and down 3 flights of stairs (I live on the 3rd floor and the laundry is in the basement). I can also drink an ENTIRE cup of coffee while it's hot, and read a few chapters of a book without hearing "HEY MOMMY" "GUESS WHAT MOMMY" "DO THIS FOR ME MOMMY" lol

I don't miss the Laundromat at all! I felt like every crazy would come up to me to chat. However, last time I went I was in my early 20's, doubt anyone would bother me now.

I enjoyed the Laundromat in college. You never knew who or what you were going to see. We booked a studio at WDW Boardwalk a couple years ago, and I really enjoyed that Laundry.

Doesn't look like you are from the pp's!! :D
Definitely not for me, though. Had to use one once for a couple weeks, and that was enough for a lifetime.

Although I love my washer and dryer, I enjoyed going to the laundromat. I went during dinnertime on Fridays or Saturdays and the place was empty. It was nice to get all of my laundry done in one shot as opposed to multiple loads.

A friend told me about a place he used to go that was a combination laundromat and bar. You would start your laundry then head to the adjacent bar, with pub grub and sports on TVs and all. They even had lights on the wall to indicate when your laundry was done, so you could head back over to pop it into the dryer or fold your dry clothes. I can't remember where that was, but it seemed ingenious to me.
I remember hearing about a place called Duds n Suds.

Besides doing laundry at our condo on vacation in their laundry room, I've never been to a laundromat!

Don't really have a desire to go either. If my dryer goes out, I call my neighbor and ask if I can throw my stuff in her's. That's preferable to having to leave my house and go sit somewhere.

I remember when mixed venue laundromats fist became a thing. I thought combining eating, drinking, bowling,board games, etc. with laundry was such a brilliant idea. I didn't have a machine in my own home until I was about 25. I totally would have met my friends there and made an evening of it. The problem with it is that the people who don't have their own machines available generally don't have MONEY!

I could see going to the laundromat with 10 loads and have them all going at once very beneficial. But, I'm alone and only had 1 load every 2 weeks and I much prefer to be watching something on TV for 2 hours or cooking, mowing, washing the car, going for a bike ride, or any other activity while the clothes are going rather than sit in a hot laundromat sweating like crazy just staring into space for 2 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter