Am I correct in thinking that the DxDP

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
is a MUCH worse deal with a 10 YO and 4 YO than it was when we had an 8 YO and an 2 YO?

Currently, our kids are 9 and 3. On our last trip, when they were 8 and 2, we were on the DxDP. The current 9 YO typically ate about 2/3 of his kids' meals and maybe a bit more at the buffets. The current 3 YO (who was free) basically eats like a small bird.

Our next planned trip is in about a year, at which time the kids will be 10 and 4. While I'm sure their appetites will increase some by then, I don't expect dramatic differences. As such, a full adult meal for our older child and a full kids' meal for our younger child will likely result in a tremendous amount of wasted food (aternatively stated, a kids' meal for our older child and sharing food with our younger child will probably suffice).

I'm already an AP holder so adding TIW isn't a huge marginal expense. Is there any conceivable reason (other than the psycological benefit of having food paid for in advance) of going with the DxDP instead of OOP with TIW for our next trip?

FWIW, we like to eat 2 TS meals a day, most typically a character breakfast and a signature dinner.

is a MUCH worse deal with a 10 YO and 4 YO than it was when we had an 8 YO and an 2 YO?

Well now that you have to pay for the younger child, and the older child is now considered an adult, quite possibly. All depends on how they eat (portion and adult/kids food). If the 10 year old is eating lobster, maybe. If the 10 year old is eating kids mac and cheese, it's a loser.

Well now that you have to pay for the younger child, and the older child is now considered an adult, quite possibly. All depends on how they eat (portion and adult/kids food). If the 10 year old is eating lobster, maybe. If the 10 year old is eating kids mac and cheese, it's a loser.

Our now 9 YO does have somewhat adult tastes (loves filet mignon and shrimp) but couldn't begin to eat all three courses of an adult TS meal (in part, because he fills up a lot on the 2 DxDP snacks per day).

Currently, our kids are 9 and 3. On our last trip, when they were 8 and 2, we were on the DxDP. The current 9 YO typically ate about 2/3 of his kids' meals and maybe a bit more at the buffets. The current 3 YO (who was free) basically eats like a small bird.

Our next planned trip is in about a year, at which time the kids will be 10 and 4. While I'm sure their appetites will increase some by then, I don't expect dramatic differences. As such, a full adult meal for our older child and a full kids' meal for our younger child will likely result in a tremendous amount of wasted food (aternatively stated, a kids' meal for our older child and sharing food with our younger child will probably suffice).

I'm already an AP holder so adding TIW isn't a huge marginal expense. Is there any conceivable reason (other than the psycological benefit of having food paid for in advance) of going with the DxDP instead of OOP with TIW for our next trip?

FWIW, we like to eat 2 TS meals a day, most typically a character breakfast and a signature dinner.
Is is worse? In a word, the answer is "no". It's still the same DxDP that you used when they were 8 and 2. The difference is that now you're going to have to pay for the little one and the big one will be charged adult prices when he still has a child's appetite. In that sense, the DxDP is much worse for you than it was when you didn't have to pay for the little one and the older child was being charged child's prices.

I cannot find a valid reason why you would want to pay for the DxDP when getting the TiW card is available to you. I think that it will suit your style better. However, regardless of which you choose, your older child will still be charged adult prices at the buffets and character meals. And that's going to suck a lot more money out of your wallet.

Is there any conceivable reason (other than the psycological benefit of having food paid for in advance) of going with the DxDP instead of OOP with TIW for our next trip?

And some would say that paying for food 50 days or so in advance of possibly eating it is not a benefit.

Seems like OOP with TIW is the way to go.

I have two teenage girls (who also love their steaks and seafood) and even my family thinks the DXDP is way too much and not a good value for us.

The only time ddxp (which I really like) is decent deal is when it is half price if you prefer to sample tons of food at siggy meals. Then its still over priced lol

What about dropping down to the regular DP instead of the deluxe? If you are going to do character meals they help you come out ahead.

I think it depends on how much they will eat. It might be cheaper to not get the DxDP if they are not big eaters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter