ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: Summer 2011 Edition!

Thanks for the new thread, Guitarob!!!!

Yay a new Polynesian thread! It looks great. We are getting very excited as our trip is getting close. Also I just added another night so now we are staying 8 nights. I did book the Spirit of Aloha for our first night as well.

Also I wanted to know if any of you have done the resort photo session? I would love to book this but they raised the price to $150 and all you get is a 20 minute session and a CD. You get no pictures and also still have to order the photo pass CD separately. Any opinions would be great. Thanks in advance.

We did the session back in 2009, in its previous incarnation. We were very happy with it, especially for the price. At the new price, it can still be a good way to get some nice, full-group family shots, but much less of a deal.

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the great information! We're getting ready for our first poly stay (Checking in Sept 16th) and couldn't be more excited! It looks to be an amazing resort. Our first trip as a family (dh's first ever) was last year (por) and now my husband is obsessed with Disney and insisted we stay at the poly this year - I wasn't about to object!

Welcome!!!! You will be addicted like the rest of us soon!!!!

Thank you again guitarob!!!!! I am honored that some of my photos made it!!!!

dizneechic - you have a beautiful family and I love that pic with your kids on a hammock! I might have to attempt to copy that with my kids (or kid, not sure the little one would cooperate!)

Can you book the photo sessions when you check in, or are they better to book in advance? I'm not sure I'd actually want to do one or not but its something to think about!

Welcome!!!! You will be addicted like the rest of us soon!!!!

Thank you! That is what DH and I keep saying, we'll probably never be able to stay anywhere else.

BTW - my husband works in Downers Grove :)

(sry for the dbl post! Should have edited but wasn't thinking)

We did the resort session and overall we're pretty happy with it. The issue I had with ours was we chose the 1st session of the day and the lenses were still cold from sitting in the AC overnight. If your not familiar with photography what happens is when you bring a nice cold lens into that nice FL tropical air it causes lens fog and our first images were all fogged. The photographer eventually realized this but still, it was time lost. She also had issues controlling the flash indoors (under and over exposed several images, inconsistent skin tones all shot in the same location). While it sounds like I had several complaints, she was a great photog and I am just very picky because in my job I work with professional photogs so am accustomed to nitpicking photographers and figured she should have known better given she shoots in this environment daily. All of that said, all we wanted out of the session was a nice family shot and we accomplished that, so my expectations were met and we will absolutely be booking the session again on a future trip. :lovestruc

Here is a link to the good, bad and ugly of our session:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/dizneechic/resort/?albumview=slideshow
You can see in the 1st images (beginning of the session) most of the issues. Once we got out to the hammocks she was rockin it! :thumbsup2

So my advice if you book, skip the 1st session of the day and you'll be all set!

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm also surprised the photographer wouldn't be prepared for a foggy lens in the morning in the heat and humidtiy of Florida :goodvibes. Your pictures are beautiful, such adorable children. We are also hoping to get some good family pictures. The regular photopass pics are not usually nice enough to hang up in the house. I just called to make an appointment and they are closed but I will call again in the morning. We are hoping for a time before the Luau around 5 or 6 pm.

Wow, Rob! This post is nothing short of amazing all the way around. You can tell that a labor of love went into this, and it totally shows! :lovestruc

Looking more forward to going "home" in a few months! :cloud9:

dizneechic - you have a beautiful family and I love that pic with your kids on a hammock! I might have to attempt to copy that with my kids (or kid, not sure the little one would cooperate!)

Can you book the photo sessions when you check in, or are they better to book in advance? I'm not sure I'd actually want to do one or not but its something to think about!

Thank you very much. :lovestruc The photog that managed to get the 3 of them in the hammock like that had the boys get in 1st and then tossed my dd on top and said squish your brothers. :lmao: She ended rolling off to the side though so we just went with it. It was quite funny though and I think why they all stayed there long enough. ;)

As for booking, we went the afternoon we checked in and asked what they had open. Surprisingly there were a lot of spaces so we had several days/times to choose from. It was the last week of Aug though so a slower time of year. If you're there peak season maybe call ahead, but if you can't decide I say try once you arrive and if the stars align roll with it!

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm also surprised the photographer wouldn't be prepared for a foggy lens in the morning in the heat and humidtiy of Florida :goodvibes. Your pictures are beautiful, such adorable children. We are also hoping to get some good family pictures. The regular photopass pics are not usually nice enough to hang up in the house. I just called to make an appointment and they are closed but I will call again in the morning. We are hoping for a time before the Luau around 5 or 6 pm.

That should be a beautiful time of day! I've heard the 12-2 time frame is rough, high sun and lots of squinting. Late afternoon and mornings were supposed to be fabulous. :goodvibes And for the record, our fav pic of that trip was actually a park photopass photographers shot of us all.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn110/sfamilyblog/Disney - August 2010/photopass/Photo0259.jpg
I'm one that lives behind my camera and I wanted to take a trip "off" so we did both photopass CD's and LOVED it! Of course we spent time hunting down photogs because I wanted my money's worth since we bought 2 :laughing: but it was so nice to be in some family pictures for a change!
*(I can hear the whispering... she does exist...)*

oooooh, I can't wait to stay here:cloud9:
I'm going to crawl right out my skin if Nov 15 takes any longer to get here!
We've never been to WDW before, let alone the Poly!

I gotta check out all these beautiful photos and figure it all out. I wonder which section we'll be assigned to? Oh, and how much do those fabulous pineapple drinks cost and where do you get those bad boys!?

Thank you! That is what DH and I keep saying, we'll probably never be able to stay anywhere else.

BTW - my husband works in Downers Grove :)

(sry for the dbl post! Should have edited but wasn't thinking)

Small world...I didn't even notice that you were from Chicagoland....I work in Hinsdale and I met someone on the board that ended up working at the same place as me....now we have our quick little updates when we bump into each other. :hippie:

You will love it there! Are you flying out of O'Hare or Midway????

Looks so nice. We were just there in late May and now I can't wait to go back. Hopefully next spring........ Drooling and dreaming!!!

I've packed my spork, but I'm having misgivings about it seeing that it's plastic. I'm considering supplementing the spork with a chop stick or two from Kona Island Sushi.

WWYD? Should I email the IPO? They've emailed and told me to let them know if they can be of further assistance.

I've packed my spork, but I'm having misgivings about it seeing that it's plastic. I'm considering supplementing the spork with a chop stick or two from Kona Island Sushi.

WWYD? Should I email the IPO? They've emailed and told me to let them know if they can be of further assistance.

In true spork wielding fashion I say double arm yourself and use both!

Just checking in on the new thread. Once again, awesome job guitarob! Thanks so much for your hard work! :worship:

2) I know that resort specific souvenirs are on the decline at WDW overall, however from the pictures in this thread it did look like some Poly mugs and t-shirts were available. Does anyone know if this is still the case?
In December 2010 when I was visiting the Polynesian their Boutiki store was still selling Polynesian logo shirts, along with other logo itmes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter